Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Walker

Yacht prices-where are they going?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by John Hatswell, Mar 11, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I think the older engines are more an issue of availability of parts and service. For diy folks some of the older mechanical diesels are great and sometimes preferred. But let’s face it, it’s getting harder and harder to find parts and service for some older diesels if you need it. And whereas my former DD 12v92’s were not mechanicals as they were DDEC, this was a main contributor to me pulling them out and installing new engines. I could easily source hard parts such as pistons, rods, bearings, heads, etc. But when it came to any issues with the DDEC system it was very difficult and getting harder. I have a short season each year and didn’t want to risk potentially losing a season if I couldn’t find a part.

Another big issue with older boats is insurance. Even though virtually everything on my boat is upgraded, the fact it is a 94 hull will cause some underwriter’s to balk or give you so many exclusions the policy is almost worthless.
    Another Road likes this.
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

If I was still running a Sportfish I wouldn’t have the same perspective regarding heavy iron. But staying south of the DDEC stress means the parts are fairly simple to get.
  3. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

….and I have no issue finding insurance for the previous ‘73 or current ‘80.
  4. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

Anyone looking for a possible bargain in a 120 aluminum displacement yacht? HM Government is auctioning off an ex NZ navy vessel, MY Kahu, built in 1979, converted to a yacht in 2oo8/10 and refurbished in 2016. Seized with tonnes of cocaine aboard traced to gangs in Australia and Brazil. Location Torquay, UK. Auctioneers Wilson of Belfast. On line, April 20. No minimum. One thousand pound deposit to bid. Unsuccessful deposits returned. Auctioneer claims fair value at 1.5 million USD but admits current fuel costs and unsettled world situation could see her go for much, much less. Good news? Clear title. No Russians. Bad news? As is. Caveat emptor. 120 feet. 10 Guests. 4 crew. Cummins engines. 12k top, 10k cruise, 8000 mile range at 7k.. Could go real cheap. Of course you still have to insure, crew, fuel, maintain and berth the darn thing.:( jcsmarinenews.curark.com/?p=267
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

And other bad news is that it's on every CG list possible and will be monitored and checked constantly, maybe even searched in detail in case any residue remaining. Once identified as a drug boat, always one.
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. Might as well name her Red Flag.
  7. Leeward

Leeward New Member

I have 12v92 DDECII's, Much simpler. No fuel rack. No external synchronizer. No mechanical throttle controls. No hunting at cold start. No black exhaust. Exactly correct tac speed. That said, I wish there were schematics of the insides of the "black boxes" for troubleshooting. What did you do with your pull outs? I would love to have some spare DDECII parts.
  8. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Sold the whole lot for next to nothing.