Click for Comfort Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

Which Mega Sailing Yacht Builder Is Your Choice?

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by simmikie, Apr 22, 2009.

1. toolmaker

toolmaker New Member

Sailing

Sailboats are a whole different animal. If you want shorthanded crew, the best bet are Hallberg Rassy. These are extremely well built sailboats, will take a beating and excellent in light winds to storm conditions. They are luxury interiors as well, you will spend most time docked.
    Sailboats are constant work outside in the weather...and getting beat up regularly. The 62 foot HR has some great push button options to check out, hydralic Vangs, etc, and can be operated shorthanded by you and your wife.
    HR will take care of you when the sea gets rough....that is what you need, especially a sailboat.
    After HR the nordhavn is bullet proof battleship, its a motorsailer so you lose some sailing points, but gain security and motoring resource.
  2. simmikie

simmikie New Member

nice find...thanks a lot!

Mike
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Short handed sailing...go anywhere... shallow draught when needed.. can sell the other half on it if she's not a sailor....Hmmm, short answer. Gunboat.

http://www.***********/
  4. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Mike I assume you meant Contest. This is my personal perception after checking the both boats. furthermore, as to my knowledge Oyster does not run a shipyard of their own but subcontracts building to certain yards, whereas Contest has their own yard. I had the chance to go through the yard of Contest and having been around with yard and boats for a while I can judge that their discipline of boat building was top notch. Although I am not a sailor myself, I have very experienced sailors and boat builders around me, who also confirmed my observation for sail performance.
  5. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

I have not only one favourit.

Jongert, Wally, Royal Huisman and Lürssen. All these Shipyards have minimum one yacht, which has wonderful lines.

Jongert is not only my favourit in the case of superyachts. The Jongert 25 (I talk about feet not meters) is a wonderful trailer IMS yacht :cool:
  6. simmikie

simmikie New Member

Codger! you have knocked it out of the bleedin' park!! as we say in the south, 'this dog will hunt' :D wonderful tip, thank-you.

Mike
  7. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

I'll admit to silent selfishness for a couple of days. There is a used one up for sale that I was actually thinking about but it's not quite the right fit at this time.
    Enjoy!
  8. simmikie

simmikie New Member

hey Codger. out of curiosity, how did the gunboat fall short for you?

Mike
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

It didn't fall short, just didn't fit with me right now. With all the mess going on in the economy and business the boat would probably sit there unused for at least the next 8 months. I don't know if you looked in to the used one but make note of who will actually spend some time walking you through the ropes. Doesn't get much better than having the designer there to answer questions.
  10. simmikie

simmikie New Member

hey Codger,

much the same here. not ready to part with any money yet. kind of got our knees skinned a bit in the markets, retirement still off the horizon a bit, retirement lifestyle still pretty undecided ( i still like the Hatteras option, a Motorcoach is even still in play (though trailing), even the Nordhaven is a very appealing option) so, lots of variables, many things to weigh.

i have to tell you though, the catamaran tip you provided is incredible. all the while i was looking at the sailing yachts, in the back of my head i was thinking, do we really want to spend hours, days, weeks etc, heled over like that? not to mention, in the 50-60 foot, while very nice, interior options/space are very limited. inside, sit here, outside, sit there. the sailing function of the boat takes up all the prime real-estate, in that range. sure the S/Y Selene doesn't have that issue, but that yacht is not in the same hemisphere of what we could purchase. so when you linked me to Gunboats, what a revelation! much less heeling, in the 50-60 foot range saloon and cockpit space/options are right on the money. intimate but with some latitude. and the Gunboat......! i have spent the last few days pouring over everything i could find about cats, and through forums well regarded brands. Lagoon, Broadblue, Outreimer, Catana, Sunreef, Fontaine Pajot, and i keep coming back to Gunboat, solid design, wonderfully executed. i am very impressed with this cat. i just bought some quality photo paper. i am going to print out some images of the GB 66 and leave them strategically placed throughout the house. i could just jump in the pool, but since i have been all over the map, i believe i should just stick a toe in to get the temperature ;) . i think she'll like it. not Hatteras space, but definetly a platform we could manage without crew (selling point if needed).

Mike
  11. Maffoo

Maffoo New Member

Alloy Yachts, no question

i am kind of biased though... I have been inside their yard many times, been on several of their boats, & live in New Zealand.. it is a no-brainer

While i admit other yards make exceptional boats, Alloy gives up nothing in quality, taste, and workmanship
  12. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Yep, you are clearly biased but no question, Alloy builds good boats.
  13. Mov-it!

Mov-it! New Member

I think Holland Jachtbouw should be added to this list. Really good yachts.
    For yachts under 100ft you could add Van Dam Nordia and K&M yachtbuilders to the Aluminium list and CNB for composites.
  14. Yacht News

If you are talking about composites, what about Yachting Developments in New Zealand as well?
  15. Mov-it!

Mov-it! New Member

Southern Wind. Good value for money.
  16. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Oh...I am too long out of business :(

I forgot CNB Bordeaux (Hamilton II) and Baltic Yachts (Visione, Baltic 56)
  17. Mov-it!

Mov-it! New Member

Jongert's 2400M will be in the water within the next couple of weeks. Really nice "little" boat.
  18. Yacht News

That's pretty quick after just launching "Lucia-M"...
  19. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Yes, I was in August '09 at the Jongert Shipyard an there was no operation. Now they are launching the first yachts :)
  20. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

Favorite boat yard/builder

Don't fail to check out Hodgdon in Maine; astounding interior woodwork, and they built one of the J-class replicas. They can do anything, and priced right.