Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

When does a member become 'senior'?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by mapism, Aug 23, 2020.

1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sounds very strange. As far as I know a site can block you, suspend posting privileges or welcome you on. DK how they could slow you down or what purpose it could serve, but I'm no computer whiz. It'd be one thing to ban someone or suspend their posting privilege, but why and how to slow down someone's computer half a world away?

I don't think it serves any of us nor YF for us to speculate here. Since nobody else seems to be having the problem the best way to get an answer would be for Mapism to click the "Contact Us" button below and ask Carl directly. Seems simple enough, and Carl does know a lot about computers and especially his system. Maybe he can think of something.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just got a thought. I remember seeing maybe it was a 60 minutes segment on our government monitoring basically every electronic communication that comes into or out of the country. It's done by supercomputers. When something triggers an alert a human looks at it. That could slow things down. Does Italy have anything like that? Maybe Mapism got on someone's list either here or there and words like "Yacht" triggers an extra look. At first I thought this question sounded a little paranoid, but then again "Just cause you're paranoid it doesn't mean someone's not out to get you". Tick off anyone powerful lately?
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Thanks folks for your suggestions.
    Funnily enough, the weird behaviour I described seems to be disappeared right now.
    Maybe mentioning it was enough to cure it, just like the "seniorhood" thing... :D

Anyway, no big deal, and surely not something worth losing any sleep over it - neither from my part nor for the forum admin.
    I'm a bit skeptic about the "big brother" theory anyway, since this ain't the only US-based forum I'm subscribed to, either boating-related or not, and I never noticed anything similar.
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Either your eyes or your patience (or both!) are obviously much better than mine! :)
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Oh good I'm not the only one. My "device" is for texts and calls, but only for browsing or emails when away from my laptop. Just so much easier. When I travel I bring a tablet.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Let's not start conspiracy theories. A buffer needed to be cleared.

Mapism: senior member status is something earned. Welcome to the old phart's club.
  7. Hatterized

Hatterized Member

Since saltwater rusts and alcohol preserves, and i am going on my 3rd liver (i purchase them on Ebay), does that make me eligible for senior status.....:eek::):)
  8. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Funniest thing seen on here for a while.

Dag, we've been slipping dude.
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Thanks for clearing the buffer, whatever that meant.
    Good to know that the weird behaviour I described wasn't something I dreamed of, anyway.
    I can reconfirm that everything is working well now.

Thanks also for the welcome, though I sympathize with George Carlin when it comes to the definition of "old... whatever".
    When he turned 70, he said that he was neither an old man nor an old fart, just an old f*ck.
    He rejected old man because that's more an attitude than a condition, and went on explaining that some folks are old men already in their 20s, because looking at things with an old man's view is in their DNA.
    Old fart, on the other hand, comes across as someone always unhappy and complaining about everything.
    So, he called himself an old f*ck instead, a description which he compared to what could be called a "FAT f*ck", or a SKINNY one, a TALL one, whatever.
    In other words (still his, not mine - RIP George), f*ck is just a synonym of fellow.

Bottom line, I like to think I'm now in an old fellows, rather than an old pharts club. :)
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The Old Pharts Club is a rather nice place to be, I've made some very good mates here, a couple I've known for 35 years. Still all idiots.
  11. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I resemble that remark ! :D
  12. sgawiser

sgawiser New Member

What was it we were talking about?
  13. mapism

mapism Senior Member

With a premise like that, I feel obliged to remain an idiot myself, to avoid disappointing anybody!