Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

What is your Block Heater Temp setting???

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Punisherzx12r, May 9, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Punisherzx12r

Punisherzx12r Member

Trying to keep the block heaters on all the time like we are told by the engine folks. 120 degrees however is just too hot in the engine room and too expensive on the electric bill. My bills this winter were 800 bucks a month.

So what's everyone's thought on lowering the temp. We can replace the pill in the hotstart system easily to 80 to 100 or even 60 to 80

I do like the idea of the engine room staying a consistent temp for a variety of reasons but i think 80 degrees is enough.

My motors have no trouble starting when cold...so 80 degrees is fine for that.

52 Cabo with 1550 CR MAN
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Anything above freezing would work then.
    I used to keep small / medium sized engine room toasty with a 60W trouble light on and vents covered / taped shut.

Also, get a softball, football scocerball or fender and stuff it up the exhaust a lil ways. Keeps the critters out and an amazing amount of heat in.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

120 degree in the ER set off alarms for us. Why would you want it so hot? 70-80 degrees should be plenty hot. Maybe even 60.
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Which “engine folks”said you need the heaters on all the time? There have been a number of debates on the subject here. I just can’t understand why they need to be on all the time?
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I would guess the same folks that sold the heaters.
    :cool:
  6. Punisherzx12r

Punisherzx12r Member

Oh, just CAT MAN MTU...small, inexperienced companies
  7. CaboFly

CaboFly Member

I ran my block heaters this winter and it was sure nice having a toasty engine room. But my power bill was rather high and mechanic said that keeping them on 24/7 would add wear on gaskets being warm all the time. So I turned them off ans will just use them intermittent from here fwd. I do like having them though.
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Can you link any MAN sheet specifying a requirement to use block heaters - let alone keeping them on 24/7?
    In all their engines (yours 1550 included), heaters are not even included as standard, and are available as an option only if specifically requested by the boatbuilder.

I'm as curious as Dockmaster to know who these "engine folks" are, exactly.
  9. Punisherzx12r

Punisherzx12r Member

I feel like i am on twitter...i am not arguing with you. There are plenty of reasons for you to leave them on. Not my job to convince you. Ask the manufacturer

I asked what temp others use...that is all

In my opinion, the temp need only be above the dew point
  10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Thanks God this ain't twitter.
    I agree it's not your job to convince me of anything, but neither it is to post ironic replies and wrong statements, pretending they are supported by the engine manufacturers, when in reality they are not.
  11. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

My Cat tech said leave the block heaters on all year as well. Keeps moisture out of the combustion chambers. I complained about the engines being too hot to touch at black heater temp. He changed from 110 to 240 units wired to my 110. Then the engines stayed warm not hot.
  12. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

In my opinion, the temp need only be above the dew point[/QUOTE]

I would tend to agree with you as far as temp goes if you are planning to keep them on. I can’t see any value of keeping them that at a temp above dew point while not in use. The heaters in my new C-18’s will bring the the coolant temp up to 110-120 degrees F when I turn them on about 24 hours before firing up.

Maybe add a second heater that you can select and use at a lower temp for storage then turn the other one on 24 hrs before firing up to bring them up to a warmer temp?
  13. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I would tend to agree with you as far as temp goes if you are planning to keep them on. I can’t see any value of keeping them that at a temp above dew point while not in use. The heaters in my new C-18’s will bring the the coolant temp up to 110-120 degrees F when I turn them on about 24 hours before firing up.

Maybe add a second heater that you can select and use at a lower temp for storage then turn the other one on 24 hrs before firing up to bring them up to a warmer temp?[/QUOTE]

Well, it's both dew point and also location/weather. When the water is 70+ degrees, the block heaters really only provide a benefit prior to start. But certainly you're doing no one any favors except the technician and parts department together with the utility company by holding them at 120.

Another alternative is to add a simple heater to the ER to lessen the wear and tear on the block heaters. Then just flip them on prior to start.
  14. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    All the block heaters I have used are on when ever they have power. In below freezing temps, I use Thermo Cubes to turn them on and off.
    The cubes I use turn on at 35° F and off at 45°. They're available in other temp ranges, like needed for air conditioners. The cubes are on ebay and Amazon and cost about $15-20 and rated at 1500 watts. Thermocube.JPG
    cleanslate likes this.