Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Furuno

Whale jumps sailboat...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by K1W1, Jul 21, 2010.

1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's also a bit expensive destroying a sailboat for a hoax.:rolleyes:
  2. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Yeah OK, you guys wanna "WATCH WALES!"

Yeah OK, you guys wanna "WATCH WHALES!"
    Watch THIS ya BP shareholder @$#^*&@)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen quite a few whales while cruising, fishing etc offshore.
    I find it hard to believe that a sailboat doing, say 3 maybe 4 kn can accidently be broached by these intelligent mammals. Ok, if it was breeding season, or a faster vessel on a turn or night cruise under power. But slowww sail?
    What do you think guys?
    Is it too lame to suggest some captions KIW1?
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I think it's pretty amazing that the boat is still floating and have no idea who or what provoked it. I treat the ocean as though I'm a guest in someone else's home. Whether scuba diving, sailing, or enjoying the shoreline. Whales, fish, sharks, and all other critters. It's their house, I'm just floating in it.

So there is no telling what they were doing and or if this provoked the whale. Crazy all around.
  4. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

It could be that the whale was just not paying attention. People crash into each other all the time – and not just in cars – simply because they are distracted and not looking where they are going. Whales often leap out the water just for the hell of it. If he (or she) was fooling around with another whale below the surface and decided to breach, they may not have even been aware that the boat was there.
  5. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

Well, yeah, but I was figuring he didn't want to tell his insurance company what really happened. The whale crashing on to the boat at least wouldn't have been the skipper's fault.