Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights

Welland Canal

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Rodger, Jun 28, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Hatterized

Hatterized Member

once if ever completed, she will be an expensive build....:eek:
    thanks for sharing....:)
  2. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

Fincantieri Bay Shipyard? (not the sister Marinette Yard which is only warships I think)
  3. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

I wander if it’s going to Burger Yachts
    Palmer Johnson use to bring new hulls up Seaway before they closed
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

The esteemed builder in Manitowoc, WI.
  5. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Not the welland canal but I thought this would be a good place for unique boats. My apologies if this is not the place.

Attached Files:

6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh Ole El Presidente?
    Renamed back to Innisfail.
    Was stationed Ortega River (Lamb's dock) recently.
    Check this out;
    https://www.yachtforums.com/feature/trumpy-el-presidente.2408/#post-253722

Some other hits on YF if you search.

Where was she at this time, looks like mid states coastal marshes, south bound.

Long way off of the canals but a fine sight. Maybe a mod can help you open a better or new thread.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

If memory serves me, six months or so ago I seem to recall Ron Cleveringa saying that the yard (Burger) has something coming up that he couldn't comment on and it could possibly be this or something entirely different, pure speculation on my part.
  8. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I'm also thinking Burger is the destination.
  9. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

The picture was taken just south of Wrightsville Beach, NC
  10. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

Fair enough. I had thought 55 meters a bit big for Burger but they offer a Greg Marshall 65meter 'project' on their website so I guess not. Good news if so.
  11. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Federal Cedar is now in Milwaukee and I see there is a tug Candace Elsie MMSI 367673690 is about one hour out from Milwaukee will have to see if she comes along side the Federal Cedar and see where she goes from there
  12. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

The tug Candace Elise is now along side the Federal Cedar, will have to keep an eye on her to see where she heads to.
    I would bet Manitowoc Ceadar.PNG
  13. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Well it looks like it going to Burger Burger.JPG
    Riknpat likes this.
  14. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Arrived
    Burgfer1.PNG
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

History Of The Welland Canal: Is It The Most Important Canal In North America?
    February 14, 2023

While not as as famous as Central America’s Panama Canal, the Welland Canal is older and is a vital waterway in the Great Lakes region of North America. It is a man-made canal that connects Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, allowing ships to bypass Niagara Falls. The canal is an important part of the St. Lawrence Seaway, which is a system of locks, canals, and channels that connect the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean.

The Welland Canal has a long and storied history. It was first proposed in 1824 by William Hamilton Merritt, a Canadian politician and entrepreneur. Merritt wanted to create a canal that would allow ships to bypass the dangerous rapids of the Niagara River. Construction of the canal began in 1824 and was completed in 1829. The canal was an immediate success, and it quickly became an important part of the Great Lakes shipping industry.

Welland Canal Expansion
    The Welland Canal has been expanded and improved several times over the years. In 1932, the canal was widened and deepened to accommodate larger ships. In 1959, the canal was further widened and deepened to accommodate even larger ships. In 1973, the canal was widened and deepened yet again to accommodate the largest ships in the Great Lakes.

Today the canal features eight consecutive navigation locks, which enable vessels to ascend or descend 326.5 feet from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, circumventing Niagara Falls. Each lock chamber measures 766 feet in length, 80 feet in width, and 30 feet in depth.

The Welland Canal is an invaluable asset to the Great Lakes shipping industry, providing a safe and efficient shortcut for ships to bypass the treacherous rapids of the Niagara River and the Niagara Falls. This shortcut saves time and money for shipping companies, allowing them to transport goods more quickly and cost-effectively. Additionally, the Welland Canal helps to imporve shipping in the Great Lakes region by giving ships to access to valuable cargo the midwest. This cargo includes iron ore, coal, grain, limestone, cement, salt, sand, steel, petroleum products, and other commodities.

St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation
    The St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation (SLSMC) is a Canadian Crown corporation responsible for the management and operation of the Welland Canal. The Seaway is a system of locks, canals, and channels that connect the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean. The SLSMC is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the Seaway, as well as the maintenance and improvement of its infrastructure.

The SLSMC was established in 1959 as a joint venture between the governments of Canada and the United States. The SLSMC is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Seaway, as well as the development of new technologies and services to improve the efficiency and safety of the system. The SLSMC also works with other government agencies and private sector partners to promote the economic development of the region. SLSMC also works to promote the development of new technologies and services to improve the efficiency and safety of the system.

The Great Lakes-Seaway shipping system is a vital part of the North American economy. It is the most efficient and cost-effective way to move bulk commodities and manufactured goods between the United States, Canada, and overseas markets. The system supports thousands of jobs and generates billions of dollars in economic activity thanks, in part, to the Welland Canal and St. Lawrence Seaway.
    Riknpat likes this.
  16. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Yes the Welland Canal is old they started building in 1912 and stopped during the war and was completed in 1932
    This year the canal closed January 11/23 and will reopen March 22/23.
    Every year the Seaway spends 25 million in the shut down and Contractors work 24-7 doing repairs. The canal is 30’ deep
    It takes four days to drain the canal and five days to fill it back up.
    Here are a few pictures WC!.png WC2.png WC4.png WC4.png WC6.png
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    Zud, Riknpat, leeky and 2 others like this.
  17. Perlmudder

Perlmudder Member

Rodger, do you find that the canal is being kept open later into the winter over the past several years? Does the closing date change based on the weather, or do they pick a set date? I tried to find historical data online but was unsuccessful. I was surprised when I crossed the Garden City Skyway in early January and it was still open.
  18. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

The current canal is the 4th canal. The first opened in 1832 was an immediate success. There was no way to deepen or widen it while in use so a second was built and when it became too narrow and shallow, a third. The two canals operated together until the 4th and current canal was opened in 1932. The 2nd and 3rd canals were declared redundant in 1935 and I believe filled in. I do not know if there are any traces or remains. But briefly in 1932-34 there were three Welland Canals (although the 2nd merely existed and wasn't used). Now just the one.
  19. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Here are a few pictures of the old canal.
    If you are ever in St Catharines there is a walk way along the old canal parking lot is next to Keg Steakhouse on Glendale Ave OC1.png OC2.png OC3.png OC4.png Glendale Ae
    Riknpat likes this.
  20. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

The canal closes on December 31 but they are doing a five year study on extending navigation. They have kept it open for one more week the last three years. The have installed Bubbler Systems around the gates .
    They have been very lucky as the last few winters have been very mild if we had an usual winter they would been is a mess as they now use Hands Free Mooring System and they would not work on a ship covered in ice. When they installed these machines at a cost of 100 Million dollars at all the locks on the Seaway all the way to Montreal and the two American locks they abolished 150 lines men jobs when they completed that project
    t CAN Opening1.PNG Canal opening2.PNG