Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

Welland Canal

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Rodger, Jun 28, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Nice consideration by the locks to let you six go ahead.
  2. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

M/V Heemskerkgracht up bound Welland Canal to day with a few yachts and some windmill blades. Capture.PNG Capture.PNG Capture.PNG
  3. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

If there are any Yacht Forum Members (owner operators) heading for Welland Canal you can call
    Canada Customs 1 888 226 7277 and ask them about your trip, the number will work in the United States.
    I do know of a Captain in Buffalo that will help them out, on a down bound trip he meets them in Buffalo and gives them his car and he takes boat down the canal to Youngstown NY and on up bound trip meets them in Youngstown NY and meets them in Buffalo.
    He did his first trip today and every thing went good.
    It is normally completed in one day.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I called Canada customs on Monday afternoon, they passed me to 3 different phone numbers and the last one said the proper person would call me back within 18 hours, they didn’t they called me mid day on Wednesday when I was enroute to Erie,pa for fuel, called them back, they emailed me a form to fill out, I sent that back and passports, Uscg licenses, bill of sale, etc and told them I’d be at the pleasure craft dock at 6pm. Two customs agents were waiting there, but told me I had to call one number, then another and another and about the 5th number they answered and I got a reporting number.
  5. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

This Sunday morning I have a US owner operator is going to try and transit the Welland Canal, it will be interesting to see if they let him go, as up to now it has been a no no.
    This article is from Canada Customs Web Site
    When you read this I can not see how they can refuse him
    He bought boat in Rochester and taking home to Detroit.
    • Measures you must follow when returning to Canada
    Information for foreign boaters
    Unless you are exempt, you cannot currently enter Canadian waters (territorial sea and internal waters) or boundary waters for discretionary (non-essential) reasons. These reasons include:

• touring
    • sightseeing
    • pleasure fishing
    Consult Entry restrictions for more information.

Transiting boaters
    You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada, if the transit is:

• direct
    • continuous/uninterrupted
    • by the most reasonable route
    Transiting travellers may only make non-discretionary (essential) stops along the way, including to use facilities, refuel or for essential supplies.

You must follow social distancing practices and wear a non-medical mass or face covering during these stops.

Anchoring
    You may stop and anchor out of ordinary navigation, particularly if it becomes dangerous to navigate at night or if the crew must rest before safely continuing your trip.

If you anchor to spend the night, you must quarantine on your boat. If this is not possible, you may quarantine at a hotel until you are ready to resume your trip.

Consult Quarantine requirement for more information.

Reporting requirements
    If at any point a transiting vessel lands on Canadian soil, anchors, moors or comes alongside another vessel in Canadian waters, or if anyone onboard disembarks in Canada, the operator must report to the CBSA. All entry restrictions apply.

The CBSA and its law enforcement partners are actively monitoring Canadian waterways. If you fail to report to the CBSA, regardless if your purpose is non-discretionary (essential) such as to refuel, you may face severe penalties. Failure to report may also affect your immigration admissibility and ability to re-enter Canada in the futur
  6. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Had a quick six hour trip down canal today on a 56' Zeelander.
    Now when you transit canal you have the same tie up crew for your whole trip which means you can be up to a half an hour waiting inside the lock with no lines or out side the lock until they drive to the next lock.
    For some reason today they had extra tie crews at some of the locks.
    I have about five more trips this season as the Erie Canal closes October 14/20 for the season.
    Capture.PNG
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sounds like the bridges in Chicago (if they still use one bridge master). I guess by the end of the canal you're all best buddies. lol. Very pretty boat.
  8. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Made my last trip for the season down the on Triton 95'
    It has been an interesting season with American yachts this year.
    In previous years when an American yacht arrived at canal all they had to do is call Canada Customs on their cell phone and report in which took only five to ten minutes. Ninety percent of the time you were issued a clearance number over the phone.
    If they did not give clearance check over the phone then they would come to boat and inspect it and do an immigration check on crew through US Customs. Many times a crew member had DUI or other criminal charges then they were denied entry to Canada and the boat would have to return to the nearest American port and let crew member of and return to canal.
    This year wit COVID-19 the captain has to fill out two customs forums crew list and crew contract and email to Canada Customs forty eight hours prior to arriving at canal and the owners can not be on boat.
    The captain has to give Customs his arrival date and time and Customs would inspect all American boats.
    There were a lot of crew denied entry this year because off all boats being inspected.
    I had a boat that crew member had a DUI twenty two years ago so he had to purchase a three day trip permit for $ 200.00 to transit canal, that is the first time I have ever seen that.
    6Triton  Cell.JPG
  9. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

During 9/11 US airspace closed and we had a lot of airplanes coming from Europe that were forced to land in Goose, Gander, Montreal and Toronto and spent a week there. There were a few pilots that "raised eyebrows" and were allowed in on humanitarian grounds but told not to leave their hotel. After the debacle the memo came out from the company that if you were "deemed inadmissible" into Canada (their words, eh) could you please tell the company. Re. a DUI after 5 years the individual can apply to the Canadians for admissibility. Company was kind enough to do it on their letterhead for me. Have since tested that by road/RV and it worked.
  10. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

On Wednesday the BBC Rio Grand loaded to American yachts in Sarina Ontario a 70' Pershing and a Sea Ray then she proceeded to the Welland Canal to load a 104' Ferretti Lady Breanna below lock one. She had to go out in to Lake Ontario and turn around and come back in to canal loading dock as her deck cranes were on her port side. She will be stopping in Newport then onto Fort Lauderdale. BBC Rio Grand 3.JPG BBC Rio Grande 1.JPG BBC Rio Grane 2.jpg

Attached Files:

11. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Did you notice the name on the Pershing? Looks like my neighbor's.
  12. ERTW

ERTW Member

Its not "Man of Steel" if that's the Pershing you are thinking about in Windsor area, its named "Bad Daddy" with a real classy silhouette you would typically see on a truck mud flap lol! Bad Daddy.jpg
  13. ERTW

ERTW Member

Also notice the expensive ding in that Rolla starboard prop... Bad Daddy Prop.jpg
  14. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

And you are correct, quite frankly I would have been surprised to see the owner ship it somewhere, for him that usually means it's being replaced.
  15. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

The Pershing is not from Sarnia area it's from further north and it is American boat.
  16. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

That looks like a bullet proof setup on that drive gear..... not.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Arneson drives are very strong (and very efficient) and you usually have few issues with the drives itself. Never a gear issue or anything like that. Generally the only issues you have are seals going bad for the various trim rams.
  18. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Was that photo taken in Sarnia? That's my hometown
  19. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

It was taken in Sarnia. I loaded both boats there on Tuesday morning after the ship was delayed up in Lake Superior due to the heavy winds over last weekend. The Pershing was up in Michigan all summer with the owner and his crew, and I moved it across the river and loaded onto the ship under the CBSA / American Captain rules that are currently in place. The Sea Ray was brought up from Port Clinton, Ohio prior to the ship's arrival and loaded that one first, and then the Pershing. They will be discharging in Port Everglades once the ship leaves Newport, RI and makes her way down the Coast.
  20. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

The Welland Canal closed today. They kept it open for an extra week as the weather has been mild and no ice yet.
    It will reopen around March 25/21 Flight Lock 1.jpg Canal 2.jpg