Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Delta

Viking moves ahead while Hatteras sinks

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, Mar 9, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. wiredup

wiredup Member

I agree after coming out of my GT. There are no 59/65's available. The Fish Tank was on the market for a bit then pulled, they wanted 5+MM
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A rare sight these days… three Hatteras MY side by side here at Highbourne, three generations with the older one standing out with its Hatteras beige color

couple of days ago I saw one of the few 105s Hatteras built over at Staniel cay. Good looking boat. What a shame.

Attached Files:

3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've been told Hatteras has orders for new sportfish over 2 years out.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Now the question is how many that is. Hopefully it's a stepped up pace and hopefully more models planned. Having orders for 2 years is great if that's 40 boats, but if it's only 4 per year or 8 in total then more a comment on limited capacity than order book. Sleuth for a number. lol.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Aesthetic is subjective of course, but imho external look ain't exactly their strongest point, and never has been.
    Which I suspect is part of the reasons why most buyers of a 100'+ MY would not even think of Hatteras.

That said, personally I wouldn't mind swapping my 56' with one of their 105 RPH for living aboard.
    If it weren't that it would be much more demanding to keep up with everything the larger size implies, that is!
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  6. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

Sorry but every builder with a heartbeat has a long backlog. Doesn't speak to the quality just strong market imbalance. Some builders put one boat in the water and have orders on the books. These small operators will most likely disappoint their clients not wow them.
  7. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Regardless of the fluff that builders are saying. The moment is good but not super.
    There is also a reduction in production due to the supply issues. For example Sunseeker made 125 boats in 2019, 110 in 2020, and like 105 for 2021.
    They will make the same number of boats just over a hundred in 2022.
  8. olderboater

Always a lot of fluff from builders. Talking future order books always in question as some of those fall by the wayside and then if you're not increasing capacity, it's not extra business. Now Sunseeker's 105 may be close to their 125 due to size of boats, but the key is they haven't grown, haven't increased capacity. We were there in 2021 and the plants are packed, but they've still got order availability.

If I'm building 4 boats at a time, doesn't matter if my order book is 8, 16 or 24, my sales will still be the same.

It's not something builders will ever admit to say they're seeing softening in the market, but many are right now. Even Viking looks great but look how much of their building is Center Consoles.
  9. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Gotta at least give a nod to Covid shutdowns of 2020 coupled with the hiatus of the work force. Then mid season 2021 to this date has a massive challenge for obtaining parts, including engines. I have a relation with a builder that has numerous projects on hold, waiting for diesels. This stuff isn't a talking point.

Sunseeker, and the like, let's see what they do in 23 and 24. Of course the credit market is beginning to ripple...
  10. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

11. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

Boat captains bought 66ft. Vikings when they retired ??? Must have got paid more than me and all the ones I know..
  12. olderboater

They made much of it as charter captains. Sold their previous boats. Then their last job before we hired them was captaining roughly a 200' yacht, I think technically 199'. Normal salary range for such a boat is $144k-300k per year and it was two of them. So, not telling what they made but you can guess they did quite well. Did well as our managing captains also.

They bought the 66' Viking well before retiring, and even ran it for a while for fishing charters. Full day charters in Fort Lauderdale run around $1500 typically, $1000-1800. Six days sport fishing charters as high as $10,000.

In their careers they went from barely making ends meet running charters in NC and doing deliveries to doing quite well. We have captains on this site doing very well also.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends on the size mix, if you're just counting numbers. IF you were building lets say 50 boats a year and the median size was 75' and now you're building a median size of say 60', you can probably pop out a lot more boats.
  14. Big Truck Joe

Big Truck Joe New Member

Can’t we all just admit that Vikings look better than Hatteri ever since Hatteras adopted that ugly “euro” teardrop window design in the early 2000s. Unless it has the black mask wraparound painting, the hatteras window does not look sleek. Aesthetics and eye appeal play a huge part when paying $3-5 million.
    Yianni and bayoubud like this.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder, nothing is uglier than where the Vikings have the flybridge level overhang the house level by those 5" or the aluminum grab rails on the side of the house.
  16. Big Truck Joe

Big Truck Joe New Member

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder “
    Pontiac Aztec Design Team
  17. Liam

Liam Senior Member

I also think Viking became among the best looking production sportfish since they went with the flush decks design onward from 2009, and today featured in all its models.

Since then in my opinion they have some models which can even compete with a custom.
  18. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

They might look like a custom but they don't run like one.
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

That's not saying much, really.
    If there's one reason that nobody in his right mind would buy a SF for, it's beauty.
    The captain of a stunning X-Yacht who isn't very familar with mobos in general once asked me if boats must really be as ugly as all SFs are, just for catching fishes.
    I think he has a point!
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don’t that overall sportfish age pretty well and most importantly have very simple clean designs. The long bow is also pretty good looking.

None of these stubby design where the designer has tried to cram in the longest possible house… no winglets or off shapes sprouting off, or lines clashing in a bunch of directions. No weird windows in the hull.
    Liam and bayoubud like this.