Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Walker

Viking Gauges & Flowscan

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Eifeler, Jan 11, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Eifeler

Eifeler New Member

Hey Capt Ralph. Your handle lists Satsuma. I'm a bit South of you in Chuluota (Oviedo).

Given the age of the vessel (1998) and generator, I figured that if I rebuilt the Kubota, it wouldn't be long before other parts and pieces started to die, leading to more breakdowns. As we do not get much time on the boat, I'd like to do our best to eliminate that possibility.

Can you expand on how saving the sound enclosure would help all? I'm hoping that we can use the Onan enclosure and remote start wiring with the replacement. Because Onan is 60+ weeks out on gennys, we will likely go with a Phasor, which has many similarities, including the same Kubota engine.
  2. Eifeler

Eifeler New Member

Exactly! Unfortunately, the ones I had onboard were a little too short. Considering a few options, moving forward, including: adding second alternator to one of the mains that is wired into 12v system, emergency bridge between one main 12v and one house, 12v, etc. Sorting that out now.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your mains are 12 or 24V? A DCv to DCv converter may help save the headache of a second alternator.
  4. Eifeler

Eifeler New Member

Mains are 24v.

Great idea on converter. Not even certain that the mains will accept a second alternator so your idea is more viable. Will let you know how it shakes out.

Would you recommend the converter to power the battery chargers or to allow the main 24v bank to charge the house 12v bank?
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I was going to recommend the same thing CR just did, a battery to battery charger. I installed these for back-up to charge my house batteries in case my a/c fed battery charger goes out. I have two Sterling 24v to 12v chargers. They take input from the starting bank which is fed from engine alternators and will output to the house bank.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/pro...MIgu-Y-Jql9gIVkwytBh1-4Ah6EAQYBCABEgJG0fD_BwE
  6. Eifeler

Eifeler New Member

Great info. Very much appreciated Dockmaster! Looks like a great solution. Do you have this on a switch that is only energized when needed, perhaps on the main breaker panel in the engine room?
  7. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Yes, I have them on a manual on/off rotary switch on the 24v feed side as well as fuse protected. The switches are on the forward bulkhead of my engine room near the other battery chargers and selector switches. They are normally OFF. Happy to get you some pictures when I'm there next if that would help. Pretty straight forward install.
  8. Eifeler

Eifeler New Member

Pics would be great. No hurry, whenever it's convenient. While my gen is on forward engine room bulkhead, the battery chargers and main breaker panel are on the rear bulkhead so that is likely where we would mount.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We have a 32V boat with 24V inverter & 12/24V electronics.
    One of my best mods was installing a 32V to 12V direct converter.
    We try to cruise with out the gen-sets running so this works well keeping the electronics going on long runs.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I was not thinking rebuild, replace just the engine,, with a warranty.
    Some OhNo gen-sets had a complicated module, others were simple relays. Think yours may be a relay model.
    After a few years, if an electrical end still works and is clean, it will probably still work for many more years.
    The exhaust manifold may be an important point of re-using your sound box with out serious mods. Original exhaust outlet vs Phasor new exhaust hose outlet.
    And overall new dimensions could be longer.

I have done some wild things with many small gen-sets. All still running fine.
    My last endeavor was sound curtains over/around a gen-set vs a box.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Where are you keeping your new ship?
  12. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

My battery chargers used to be on the aft bulkhead as well. But my battery selector switches and emergency parallel selector or on the fwd bulkhead. When we did my repower we decided to move the chargers to the fwd bulkhead. This reduced the cable lengths on the DC side and helped to minimize the spaghetti of wires which was a big goal of completely re-doing my engine room. And, of course, line loss is less on the a/c feed side to the chargers since the voltage is much higher than the dc output side. Lastly, I needed a convenient spot for my new watermaker console and moving those chargers freed up a good location to mount this back aft.
  13. Eifeler

Eifeler New Member

Over kids spring break we moved it from Anna Maria to Vero Beach. Different marina every night: Anna Maria, Captiva, Marco, KW, Duck Key, Miami, West Palm, Vero. Shell Oil sent me a thank you letter (j/k).

Will remain in Vero until Man 2k service is complete, then to Stuart for Genny replacement. Would like to keep her in Stuart but can't find a slip. If that does not change, will end up in Cape Canaveral until something down South free's up.
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Just a heads up....Port Canaveral marinas are really tough on boat bottoms for any extended stays. For me, extended was two weeks. I think they have some superpower barnacles thriving there.
  15. Eifeler

Eifeler New Member

Ouch. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm looking at marinas that are inside the locks (hurricane holes). Wonder if they are any better?

Do you tend to run North to Sebastian or South to Ft. Pierce when you go out? Had to wait for the opening in Ft. Pierce when coming North so not too excited about that in both directions but Sebastian can be a real biatch.
  16. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I'll always use Ft Pierce. Much better inlet for tides and weather. Ft Pierce bridge opens at the top and bottom of every hour. Time your approach accordingly...
    Eifeler likes this.
  17. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

For storms the St Lucie River (and beyond the lock) offer fair options as a base port for an extended stay.
  18. Eifeler

Eifeler New Member

Have kept boats at Shrimpers and Pirates Cove for extended periods. Pirates Cove is saying 4-6months, and Shrimpers isn't even taking any more names for their waiting list. Talked to less attractive options down there and nothing is looking promising. Will keep trying. If anyone knows of anything, please share. Thanks.