Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Update: Got our new boat! 2005 Cheoy Lee

Discussion in 'Cheoy Lee Yacht' started by Lili429, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Lili429

Lili429 Member

Ok, to answer and complete this thread

I will not post random threads again - as I have learned that is just my excitement to be a part of a community from the beginning.

Here is the plan. We are purchasing the 68' Cheoy Lee as we speak. We are moving on to the Sea Trial and Survey to close around the end of March if all goes well.

We are planning to embark on our adventure around December or January (2015). Depending on the season or weather (as I am researching) that will determine where we will start. Our total goal though - is to go from Nova Scotia and visit every port on the east coast - spend a good amount of time in the Florida Keys - then head on further south - Bahamas etc., then to Panama - up to California - do the west coast and then on to Alaska (where will stay for a couple of months). Then back around again. Probably a 2 year adventure.

At this time I am putting together files for each port - will be calling to the ports to understand more about their fees, mooring, anchoring or docking, etc.

We are also going to spend a lot of time understanding the actual work part of the boat. By this I mean learning how to tie ropes, etc.

And the you tube post I made was me winning the price is right. It was a life long dream and when I said I'm driven - If I say I'm going to do it - by gosh I am!

Hope this gives some validity and I don't know what a troll is. But I don't think I am one.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Are you hiring a captain to run your boat?

I would strongly recommend taking a boating course and it needs to be one aimed toward coastal cruising.

You might want to read a book, "Cruising the Big U". They sat out on a similar adventure to the one you have planned.

As a starting point on learning all the ports and marinas and anchorages, I'd recommend Active Captain. You can then go to marina websites for more information.

The other thing you need to build in your files of these ports is things you want to be sure to see or do as you visit them. We've used many sources for that but Trip Advisor has probably been the one we've used most.

You've got a lot to learn and I don't honestly believe you have any idea how much yet. That's not criticism, just what I feel is somewhat natural. You don't know how much you don't know. You know there's additional knowledge out there to be learned but it's far more than you can yet realize. If you want to get a picture of what you still have to learn, go to a maritime training site, one of the sites of a company that trains captains and others. Look at the courses and that will give you an idea of the information to learn. Then to get an idea of the practical application consider that the minimum sea time just to be a Master at the first level is 360 days. And yet here you'll find Captains with thousands of days in all conditions. I would venture a guess that some of the more experienced captains here (didn't say older, being nice) have 4000 days or more of sea time. Some of the commercial captains may have over 5000.

Not intending to discourage you, but just help you avoid a mistake of underestimating what's ahead. Now the learning can be very enjoyable. But for learning on the sea to handle the boat you're getting you are also going to need a good teacher to show you the way.

Are you or your husband mechanically inclined?
  3. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

A Troll:
    Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Boating: Think, catch of the day.

The boat is moving, drifting or engine(s) engaged to create movement, lines are out, chum may have been added to entice or perhaps a neighbor is in need of disposing, anticipation of a strike is building.

Why?

Because you are trolling for the catch of the day, while enjoying your travels.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat...king+the+catch+of+the+day+menu+items&tbm=isch

One would hope that your prior post does not complete this thread.

One would hope that you have better luck than Sherrie (Post# 5).

One does wonder about the boat purchase {Post#9: I am a female who owns a boat (a 68' Cheoy lee) as of today} vs. {Post#21: purchasing the 68' Cheoy Lee as we speak. We are moving on to the Sea Trial and Survey to close around the end of March if all goes well}. Is it for real or not? Time will tell.

One would hope that you continue to post here, regarding your adventures and life's little lessons while enjoying your boat.
  4. olderboater

Troll

Passing through while casting bait just to see who bites.
  5. Lili429

Lili429 Member

oh that's not me

Sorry If I came across that way.

Yep, alot of learning ahead. Yes - a captain - but we want to learn also. For sure Captain school and spending time with Captains that know the sea and troubles.

Not an easy road ahead of us - but we will love the journey all the way from learning to going.

Thanks for all of your help.

Ciao
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

7. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

Lili249,

Your plan to cruise from New England to Alaska on a Cheoy Lee motoryacht sounds like a terrific adventure. Yes, there will be a lot to learn but if you work with competent people and go slowly and carefully in the beginning you should be reasonably confident and capable after a month or two of cruising.

Have fun! You will be cruising through fascinating, lovely places in a comfortable yacht -- what could be better?

JS
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Lili429, do you mind if I ask how much boating experience you have, because if your answer is "not much" you'll barely be able to dock that boat in two months, much less deal with the various customs authorities, Panama Canal, know where is safe and where is not nor the weather and mechanical issues that can arise.

Let me repeat myself. If this is a major step up your insurance carrier will undoubtedly require you to have a captain for your first year, and that's a good thing. You'd do well to align yourself with one as early as possible in the process. When I check out boats with buyers I see the gleam in their eyes. They want the boat. It's pretty and sexy. All I'm looking at is reasons to tell them not to make the deal. I figure they and the broker will cover all the good points. My job is to see the bad points. A good captain is very hard to impress.
  9. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Excellent post. The comment she made about "learning to tie knots" was a good tip off. If this person is legitimate, of which I have substantial doubts, I can recommend Bill as well. I have met him and followed his post and exploits over the years, and he would be ideal for the purported mission.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

(My big tipoff was the term ropes instead of lines. That came across like fingernails on a chalk board or bumpers instead of fenders. ;))
  11. Belle

Belle Member

When you win Price is Right, you are officially a Master so you guys lay off right now and stop picking on the girl....

And too bad Bob Barker not still on the show. He'd be joining her on the trip. He was one dirty old man......Had a thing for the girls on the show. Drew Carry just has a thing for Cleveland.
  12. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

No not really.

Just reminding NYCAP123 of another post.

Just curious, anyone notice her footwear?

LiLi429PinkPirateBoots.JPG
  13. Lili429

Lili429 Member

Curious

I am still here. I would be happy to talk about my boots.

Since you have called me names and keep this silly conversation going let me tell you a few things.

When I was a child my dad made me sit down and after he took TVs and other electronics apart he made me figure out how to put them back together. I am very analytical and when I say driven I mean just that.

I had brain surgery a year ago (11 hour surgery) it was unexpected and urgent. I pulled myself up and had to learn some things over. I survived that. I started living my bucket list.
    Price is right was one.
    My husband is retiring and we are going to live on our boat on the water. Why? Because of all of the experiences we will gain on the way. We are aware of the trials and troubles we will face. It will strengthen our minds, our marriage and our friendships along the way. We will have a captain while we learn. I WILL learn to understand the boat , respect the water, learn like I've never learned before through those experiences.

I have a huge respect for the ones who have lived this life and what they have to offer. It is a wealth of information that many years ago would have been impossible to gather. I love wise people.

I won't stop asking stupid questions and you don't have to participate if you don't want . Just let me be stupid if that's what my questions suggest. I have received many positive responses in private messages and those I'm tucking away and learning.

No troll here
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The only truly stupid question is the one not asked. Just keep wearing that thick skin and the boots for kicking A (those are some boots BTW.:eek::D)
  15. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

There may be no stupid questions, but there are bad ones. Rude even. A bad question is one that cannot yield you a useful answer. The two lead off threads were bad questions.

Asking where the cheapest place to dock a 68 foot boat, without including (and refusing to answer when subsequently asked) where, what kind of boat ad for for what purpose (live aboard, repairs, long term storage etc etc) is just a bad question requiring others to play useless guessing games.

Asking what to look for on a sea trial without any information about the boat (and again not answering when asked, finally just saying a 68 foot Cheoy Lee with none of the other requested details).

So if one doesn't want to be considered a troll, don't act like one. When someone asks you questions so they can provide a useful answer to yours, answer them thoroughly and honestly, don't go off on irrelevant rants or posts about game shows. If you don't know the answer to the qualifying question, go find out. We still don't know exactly what boat you have (a link to the listing for instance), nor do we know what your boating experience is, very basic but crucial facts needed to give you the most helpful answers possible. Until you can do those things gracefully, you are just being rude and welcome some relatively impolite results.
  16. olderboater

I would also recommend taking some courses.

As to questions, understand the quality of answers will be commensurate with the quality of questions. By that I'm not talking about smart versus stupid questions. I'm talking questions that outline your plans and what you know and don't and give clarity to the circumstances in which the answers will apply. People genuinely want to assist, but you're better off with replies you might consider rude than you are with a reply based on assumptions that may be wrong so the answer may sound great but be horrible for what you and your husband face.

The people you may feel are beating you up a bit are those who will help the most. They just don't know how based on your posts sometimes.

Maybe you were trying too hard to make your questions short. Generally longer is better because it provides more information.

A simple thing not related to boating but something you introduced. Price is Right. Interesting but as you initially mentioned it, the connect to your boating future. Now you've placed it in context of your life, where you've been, and where you want to go.

Did you charter or spend times on the boats of others before making this purchase? What are your dreams for your boat life?
  17. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

A little something for your viewing pleasure.

My Dream Is Possible - Smitty shares about the Dream Racer - YouTube

Presenting Children's Dream Racer a check - YouTube
  18. Lili429

Lili429 Member

Thank you. You are correct in that I thought shorter questions were better. I was unaware of the protocol and should have spent more time reading. I am apart of a few other forums and it is much different. I have learned so much in a few days. I guess the question I was asking was is there a particular list of things to look for. But through others comments on this thread privately I feel comfortable with hiring the right surveyor and captain will be that solution.

Oh yes we have chartered boats in Alaska several times and been on boats with friends who are owners. We fell in love and have spent the past few years really making the decision to make a commitment. This is a serious commitment and one we are willing to make.

Our goal for the boat is to learn the discipline of being on the water and loving every sunrise and sunset and people and beautiful sites that we would never get to enjoy stuck on land.

Thanks for your guidance.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good call. IMG_4093.JPG

Most of us know well about loving those sunrises.:)
  20. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Which MODERATOR died and was replaced by YOU!
    You insult a new member, call her a Troll, make reference to rules that you ;)blatantly break, when in fact the new member did nothing of the sort, plus with arrogance and derision treat her as a fool.
    If Moderators acted in this way, YF would not have grown into the huge community it is.
    What happened to giving some leeway and slack to someone new to boating?
    So a line was called a rope and she wants to learn to tie knots. To me that is ALL GOOD. I have been on the ocean for a few decades, was deep sea fishing in a locally built timber boat in the Mozambique Channel (no Coast Guard or even radio there, just big sharks) when I was 10 years old, and still I am LEARNING NEW knots( just bought a good app on Apple). My wife will still call a line a rope, but she has caught the biggest Marlin in the family.
    LAY OFF the patronising and rude treatment guys, we never used to act this way to a new member.
    Tough crowd, yes! Humour yes, even if a bit is at the expense of some member, BUT rudeness and disrespect? Who do you think you are.