Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Walker

Under contract - 2003 Neptunus 56 w/ cat 3406e - top speed/rpm issue

Discussion in 'Neptunus Yacht' started by makesumwake, Jan 14, 2022.

1. makesumwake

makesumwake New Member

the broker told me it was just cleaned. knowing this guy though, he could easily be lying. or sometimes divers may not do the best job. so a dirty bottom or props is still a possibility.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

So the boat wasn't even hauled for the survey and seatrial?????? Who did you use for engine and hull surveys? IF so, what did they tell you???
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

He didn’t survey it yet. Read the first post. Only an “Initial sea trial”
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Agh...''blank ''me ! ,lol always learn something new here I'll stick to my non- computerize , no gizmos, mechanical, reliable DD 471s. They are hard enough for me to learn and figure out don't need anything new to try and conquer. I do not want any electronic marine diesel or gas motors. I like old , generally . Even my better half has a few years on me!:)
    That's ok, I'll tell my self...''Hey Cleanslate....,stay in your lane!''
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Meh, no lanes. I love the old mechanicals myself. They love me, too. They give me gifts of oil and smoke with extreme generosity. You can tell they care.

But they never quit.
    cleanslate likes this.
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Any luck getting a copy of the Sea Trial report from when the engines were overhauled?
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Something else to think about;
    If these engines have been running over loaded, What damage has been inherited?
  8. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Oil? That’s Detroit sweat!
    It’s their way of letting you know they’re working hard for you!
    It’s good to see them sweat a bit.

Smoke? That’s just “Gazz” we all get a little “ Gazzy” when we get old.
    rtrafford likes this.
  9. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Sweat beats rust every time.
  10. makesumwake

makesumwake New Member

no luck, broker didnt want to give it to me.

I decided to reject the boat. broker and owner claimed nothing was wrong and were not interested in working with me on finding the issue.
    TahoeJohn, rocdiver and T.T. like this.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sad to read but this is not the path to take when looking for a used yacht.

You have made the very rite decision.

We have a 43 year old Bertram that has a great history and we would be proud to show off her records these last 18 years of our ownership.
    Not for sale (yet), but would still enjoy bragging a few hours on her records.

Apparent these kids don't want to show or brag any.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    T.T. likes this.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Silly of them as nobody will buy a boat that is 150rpm short.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  13. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Should be the case, but someone will buy their excuses and alibis and take it. Or after several failed surveys they may wake up.

I suspect instead of "Rebuild so I'll be set of years" this was a "I want you to do the least you can get by with so I can sell it."
    T.T. likes this.
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Don't lose sleep. Any seller or broker behaving like that knows something that they don't want to share. Under contract and during your due diligence period you have every right to this information. If it isn't forthcoming upon request, it's because they don't want to share it for fear you'll discover that the rebuild was performed under a shade tree or that it suffered problems during the rebuild sea trial. Any honest documentation would be readily shared, transparent.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  15. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Good call, even if I'm sure it's annoying to have wasted some time and money.

The broker is Mr. Robert Damas of Florida Yachts International, as referred in the ad of your OP, I suppose?
    I'm saying this because it's only fair to give him publicly the opportunity to explain why he didn't want to disclose the seatrial.

Also because - as we are now inferring - the real one is that either there wasn't any proper seatrial or it wasn't satisfactory, it's equally interesting for anyone in the market for a used boat to know that it's better to steer clear of this one, and of this gentleman in general.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

To be fair brokers list boats but do not sea trial them. That s not their jobs. In this case the broker knows by now that the deal fell thru because of performance issues so he has two option. Disclose the issue to a prospective buyer or tell the seller not to accept per survey sea trials so that pressure is increased on the buyers. Which option will be pick? Not holding my breath
  17. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Fun part, the broker now has the obligation to share the performance question relative to known potential defects given the failure of a contract with respect to the mechanicals. Any chance that gets shared going forward?
  18. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Do they have an obligation? I don’t think so. I’ve never heard a selling broker disclose issues like this. Maybe they say a water maker is defunct to prevent it from being challenged in the survey.
  19. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I wish they had a legal obligation to do so, but, unfortunately, they don't. As to moral obligation, the seller is their client. They would need permission from the client, but they always have the right to dump the client. It's still caveat emptor.
  20. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

And the way I understood the OP, this was more of a casual trial with him and owner. Not sure if he was even under formal contract to purchase? So it's pretty much all here say unfortunately.

Regardless, it is still shocking that the broker refused to turn over the sea trial reports. Suggests to me that the notion these were "rebuilt" was exaggerated.