Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for JetForums

Trinity "Mine Games" Playing Docking Games...

Discussion in 'Trinity Yacht' started by YachtForums, Jul 10, 2009.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

2. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

In the auto industry we call that the 5 mph bumper test. looks like they passed!
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I think if I were the guy on the swim platform that I would have started to relocate myself as the dock came closer.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

yikes... i guess the captain's ego took an equally big hit ...

Med mooring is not the easiest maneuver in the book but i wonder what happened... was he counting on the anchor to be set?
  5. Hiper

Hiper New Member

Wonder what the damage was. Seems like he was coming in a bit too fast, even if he was counting on the anchor to be set. I also think he got a bit too close to the anchor lines on that Ferretti!

Would you guys think the wind had a lot to do with it, or just poor skills?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd vote for wind and whoops. It happens. Strong breeze blowing onto her stbd. side. Could have been worse had he come in slower and gotten pushed into his neighbor.
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Might have been better with enough fenders. :D

But he did a nice job keeping it off the Ferretti on the way out.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

...until he got sideways and almost got his port prop and fin tangled up.
  9. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I have never done a Med mooring nor practiced one, but everything I have read, which doesn't put it into practices, states to set the anchor and maintain tension while backing in. I noticed several of you stated was he hoping the anchor was set so I gather there are instances when you should not set the anchor prior to backing in, how does one know when or when not to set their anchor prior to backing in and maintaining tension? By wind, current, or other factors not associated with docking in a slip or at a dock?
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Situational awareness and experience.

A lot depends upon the boat and the ground tackle.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

12. Capt Bill11

He still did a nice job. With that breeze, the bow going sideways was a bit of a given. And who knows what was going on with the ground tackle at the time.

And what almost happened doesn't count against him. What counts is what did happen. Which is, he kept his fin out of it and he stayed off the Ferretti. That in my book counts as a nice job in that situation.

Everybody has a bad day sooner or later. But how you recover can help make up for it.
  13. Hiper

Hiper New Member

I still think he came in too fast. He should've taken the wind factor into consideration. If I was the owner of that boat I'd be quite upset with my captain.

And where are the stern fenders just behind the swim platform? Shouldn't that deckhand be ready with a fender just in case? At least thats what I've mostly seen in the Med, including boats that were docking in Monaco, Portofino, Porto Cervo, Antibes, St. Tropez, and Cannes.

Anyway, as Capt. Bill said, everybody has a bad day sooner or later.
  14. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I med moored in Jamaica with our 70 ft stephens and luckily there was no wind or current, drop the hook and back in, hook was about 20 ft out from the bow when finally docked, not the best feeling when the breeze comes up, major fenders out as the boat will swing at the forward end, some even got damaged when we where there but luckily not us. I have also done it here in the PNW when the dock is really short and we need to get people off etc, usually only for one nite though reqires quick action by the person on the swim grid for line handling.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You saw how much a victim to the wind he became when he poked his nose out and slowed. He had to come in fast to counter the wind although, given the space on his starboard I'd have opted for a less direct approach. As for the bump, someone miscalculated. I couldn't see in the video if he was operating from the stern or possibly had someone at the stern calling off the distance. In either case,
    I doubt it. Embarassing, yes. Will he second guess it in his mind for a day or two? Yes. But that is just one of those things that sometimes happen on windy days. If it didn't the repair guys would go broke. In a major screw up he'd have dirven through that dock.
  16. AffrayedKnot

AffrayedKnot Senior Member

If you know Mine Games, you know that’s a $3 million submarine lashed to the aft deck. It appears that she escaped with a mere dock rash; however the circumstance could have been perilous.

Attached Files:

17. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

Those goofy Euro marinas... what is with all the marinas in Europe? Not even a 150 footer gets a dock that doesn't require an anchor?
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

As silly as that sounds it really is a valid question. I run smaller boats and wouldn't consider going into a marina that doesn't put pilings between the slips. These yachts spend so much money, why don't they demand it or even foot the bill to put in some dolphins. It seems rediculous to slide a 150' yacht 150' down the side of another yacht like it's a gray painted battleship and med-moor like was done with little Italian fishing skiffs 80 years ago. With the cost of awlgrip it isn't quaint.
  19. Capt Bill11

It's a space and demand issue I would think. And if your careful (and have enough fenders) Med mooring is not that hard.
  20. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

But is it practical? Or is it more about culture/tradition?