Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Glendinning

Tips for operating 100'+ motor yacht

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by CaptaindeJong, Apr 29, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don't know about that. The only time I see sailboats motoring on the bank is east bound from Bimini to the Berrys when the wind is easterly. On the Exuma bank where the winds are more favorable they all sail. Sailboaters are too cheap to burn fuel if they don't need to :)
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ha, no doubt.
    On the West side of the Exuma Chain I always sail, nice quiet, protected from the Atlantic and pure pleasure.
    Now I regret selling my sailboat. May have to look for another one.
    To young to be a powerboater. :)
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Not often. The lunacy is often too much. There are some very knowledgeable sailboat owners and operators, but on the forums the "live on $500 a month" and "sail the world without any training or experience" seem to be the loudest.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Sure, bunch of dreamers out there, but some do it: Sail into into the sunset at $500 per month. They are usually 26 years old on a 26' sailboat with a 19 year old girlfriend, life is good.
    The other end is the newly retired couple with gray hair who needs a $500k factory new sailboat with a micro wave oven, washer and drier as well as air condition.
    Guess who have more fun...?

I am somewhere in between: Sailing the Bahamas for 3-4 weeks between flying gigs with big airports, bad weather, jet lag, stress and bankruptcies.
    The perfect escape, although $500 a month may be just that month in the Exumas after all the maintenance is done, the upgrades are done, the insurance are paid for and the booze/groceries charged to the Visa card.
    So yes, $500 per month is doable, but not every month..:)
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We went back and forth for a while trying to decide what to do.... refit my 53 Hatt or sell her as is and buy a 44/48 Catamaran... monohulls were out because of the lack of space, comfort, etc. at least if the 50' size range we could afford.

Ended up doing a full refit on the hatt, we ll get our sailing fix by towing The classic 26' gaffer in built a couple of years ago. Best of both world: comfort of the hatt and sailing all at the same time.

You have a point about the stereotypical Bahamas cruisers...
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye Pascal, you are doing the best of both worlds, or neither, but you are not 26 anymore?
    I went wild at 28, bought a 44' Bermuda Yawl, never sailed or owned a boat.
    Worked my tail off to pay for and maitain a 30 year old wooden Rolls Royce in Cartibean warm waters.
    Big mistake, but had a young wife who liked to make love under the stars.
    Rice was $10 for a sack and rum was $2 per bottle.
    Would not have traded for anything, and it came to
    less than $500 per month, after the boat was paid for, but no insurance..
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

That's the ticket.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That's the ticket.

Luv it when a plan comes together...
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Towing a 26' center console would be a lot more functional! :D:D:D:D
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yuck. What for, fishing??
  11. Sea-Sovereign

Sea-Sovereign New Member

I might have posed a similar question to that of the OP here, but the advice that came from you all seemed pretty much spot-on. I have to question the wisdom of the OP if, after his stint here, he seriously thinks he'll get 'better' answers to his MY questions in a sailboat forum? Seems to me that's a totally different world and, if he doesn't realize this, then.... :/