Click to Save Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Westport

Thruster installer needed

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by MBevins, Feb 6, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I understand that, but I believe it still warrants investigation for my boat as I have real estate issues at the transom which makes traditional thrusters difficult.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Real estate issues on the back of your big boat?
    I'm assuming no room on the inside for the motor.
    Years ago (years) I remember units that mounted on the transom including the motor.
    Could that help?
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

That is the type I have seen too.
    The entire assembly hanging off of the stern.
  4. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Yes , we're currently looking at external units but even that's a bit of a challenge on this boat, as an example, the transom is not flat, Viking put a curve into it so that requires fiberglass work. This doesn't bother me but the installers seem to have an issue with it. I can see having to be there for the entire install.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The bolt pattern can not be much of a spread.
    Are these real installer techs?
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I have no idea how that picture ended up in your post, I was also surprised how big it is. I was just trying t show the concept of a centrifugal pump that supplies a rotatable nozzle to give thrust direction.
  7. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

This particular one is suspect in my mind.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The jet thruster website specifically stays it s designed for smaller boats and shallow draft.

I can understand the convenience of a bow thruster but a stern thruster is not needed on a twin engine boat. I ve never had one on my boat or any boat I ve run. Just split the gears to move the stern as needed. Much more efficient anyway.
  9. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I understand your statement, but, I have a back issue that requires I have assistance holding and moving the boat at the dock and in locks. Hence the requirements.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I m just saying that you can hold the stern in place using the gears just as easily as you would with a stern thruster. As much as I m not a fan of remote controls, in your case it may be a better options than a stern thruster.
  11. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I must disagree, I can't stand on a dock and pull the boat to the dock without forward or reverse motion without a thruster, which is what I need to do.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Why would you be standing in the dock to pull the boat when docking ?
  13. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Okay Pascal let's use this scenario, your tied up at at the dock, the wind picks up and it's pushing the boat off the dock, the lines have stretched, she's now 3ft away. You know you have to pull her in to shrink that gap.
    But you can't pull in 50K lbs without possible damage to your back. But with a thruster and a remote you can bring it in , tighten the line with no stress. Hmmmm what will you do ??
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Fire up the engines, split the gears to kick the stern and pick up the slack. You can do that from the aft deck controls or a remote.

or better … just install deck winches on each side of the stern and press the foot switch. Actually I just did that tonight here at Staniel. A pair of winches is cheaper than a stern thruster.
  15. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Yeah right, you're running a 110 I'm running a 50, you don't do locks I do. Should I continue?
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

My personal boat is a 53 hatt…. No locks down here but but plenty of single handed docking, no need for thrusters.

if you don’t get the fact that moving two gear levers is as easy as moving a joystick… I give up.
  17. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I think what MBevins is trying to say that with the right set up he can move the stern while standing by the cleat and make his adjustment to the line. If he has to go to the helm or aft deck to manipulate the clutches he has got to run to get off the boat and to the cleat before the wind or current has blown him right back to where the boat was. I don’t think you are suggesting that he put it in gear and leave the helm, get off the boat and tighten the line. I would bet heavily that MBevins knows how to handle his boat without thrusters. His back is messed up and he is searching for an aid that will keep him boating with a bad back.
    MBevins likes this.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

This is why I suggested a remote controller instead. If your thruster control is 8’ away front your stern cleat, it s not going to do you any good. Even worst when you need to adjust the bow line
  19. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

10-4. I wasn’t sure you understood what he is trying to accomplish. Maybe it is me that is not understanding. But yes as I understand the problem a remote control would be the ticket.
  20. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Pascal, I'll try one more time, moving and putting the boat where I want is not an issue, been doing it for 24 years. I've blown my back out, I can't manhandle 50lbs let alone 50K lbs.

I'm not looking for justification from you or anyone else, I'm installing thrusters so I can continue boating.
    If you don't have productive information on the supply and install why do you care what or why I'm doing it.
    d_meister likes this.