Click for MotorCheck Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross

The Perfect Yacht ?

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by Crewagency, Dec 18, 2004.

1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Luc,

Since you are asking, I have lived a lot on a Swan 651, at all angles, but sails are also stabilizing which I like in heavy seas where all slow going yachts, also cats are rolling.

I know that Perini are building hulls in Turkey, as well as the 87 m Maltese Falcon, but all yachts under 70 m are built in the old Picchiotti yard in Viareggio where I have visited them several times. The first Perinis however were built by Ortona Navi.

The question if the perfect yacht is a power-cat or not will be unanswered until we can see the perfect power-cat built I think. You know I can help you getting a design together and it might also be perfect, but it takes a lot more than just making a nice rendering here I am afraid...

/Lars
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

New Idea Catamaran

I guess my Gamefishing Cat is a little small for your definition, but I was trying to keep it in a reasonable size to be handled by two crew if necessary. Certainly I could meet your power and range and economy desires.

I had hoped to find an exhibitor in the Dusseldorf Show where I might share a portion of their spot to display a model of this design. Didn't find one this year...maybe next year. But I will be in the Miami show Feb 17-21.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I submit... the TRY Cat 160; designed by Lars Modin!

Attached Files:

4. YachtForums

A pair of Perfect Yachts?

Attached Files:

5. BarryClay

BarryClay New Member

Not if your passage making..Lars hit the nail on the head, Cats roll not rule, in fact cats should be..never mind it was a cat joke. Anyway, Waht might make it more "perfect is to really create a cat with a mono hull. That is a mono hull with sponsons. :)
  6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Tri Hull/ Mono

What about this tri hull concept? It worked pretty well in an around the world vessel (Cable & Wireless), and in a warship (RV Triton).

Attached Files:

7. BarryClay

BarryClay New Member

Yup, didn't know who built it, but there are many creative ideas that could fall from this concept. As long as "perfect" means unlimited funds for beam penalties at the dock. ;)
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Tetou, at 26m/85´is my Perfect Yacht...

I have showed this yacht before, but this version has got a bigger wheelhouse, galley and engineroom. Three important working areas.

She can be completely owner operated, still has a crew cabin if you like to have a deckhand/stewardess or a captain, or why not a couple?

The owners area in the stern and guests forward gives some privacy even in this limited size of yacht. Big sun/boatdeck for the tenders and protected walkaround decks makes her safe and easy to handle.

Built in steel/aluminium or GRP, stabilized and with transatlantic range.

This would be my ideal live aboard yacht and passagemaker... :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  9. BarryClay

BarryClay New Member

10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The length over deck is 26m, loa is 27m, beam 6.2m, draft I dont remember but about 1.5m. It is based on the same hull as the Diana design for Moonen 85.

Maybe I can add a scale in the future, otherwise you can do as I use to, measure the bed length which on my yachts should be 210 cm, or just under 7 feet.

Edit; A meter-scale is now added on the previous drawing... :)
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

For the Cat lovers I have now refined a 130 feet version of the big 160 feet Explorer catamaran. One deck less but still with a lot of space and with the hydraulic beach-platform between the hulls aft.

/Lars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  12. YachtForums

Beautiful!!! You just made the front page. :)
  13. catmando

catmando Senior Member

I own a boat with that hullform. It's called an "air-entrapment monohull", or a "stabilized monohull".

Yes, slower cats may roll, but they roll much less than monohulls. At rest they don't roll much at all.
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The difference between a cat and a monohull in movement is that the cat is "rolled" by different waves at the same time, making the hulls move less rythmic which is not always nice. I don´t know if there are stabilizers specially developed and used on big cats, but I have not seen it. I think the SWATH system with submerged sponsons might be a better solution to prevent this rocky movement. There are also other hulls with three or four submerged sponsons that could be good options, so there are solutions coming which we will probably first see on passenger vessels. But if the yacht buyer will go for such exotic hulls remains to be seen...
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

100´ Long Range Cruise Cat

The smallest catamaran in this expedition style has a raised wheelhouse with a flybridge on top. This means you have semi-levels up from the maindeck.

This size is where an experienced yachtsman can handle the yacht without a crew but with a couple of good hands on deck. Still I think it should have a fully fitted crew area, which can also be useful to create a charter income.

More on this yacht will come as the TRY project is about to become a reality. :)

Attached Files:

16. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Lars I think the Hysucat hydrofoils would be an excellent addition to this design. What say you?
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, hydrofoils can add some speed and economy if you have a planing cat.

On this slowgoing LRC model I think it will rather add drag and collect debris and as this cat is intended to cross oceans I don´t think it is to recommend.

But with more power in a similar and light weight built design, she can of course be equipped with foils. We can call her Coaster and give her a profile like this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  18. TRY

TRY Senior Member

Foils to the cat

Foils to the cat!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man behind the fixed foils for fast catamaran vessels is Prof Hoppe from the Stellenbosch University in South Africa.
    Commercially you need to contact Gary Vos of Hydrospeed on gvos@iafrica.com.

The beauty of a cat hulled vessel (apart from many others) is the flexibility towards speed.
    Due to the extreme slimness of the hulls (1/20 in many good designs) allows for variable speed options related to installed power, which is not possible with monohull hulls where you have to make a choice from the outset (displacement or planing).
    Referring to the TRY 100 by Lars Modin for our large cat project, speeds of 15 kts cruising will be obtained with quite modest power units.
    Increasing the power would allow to increase speed to say 25 kts; at these speeds the foils become an interesting option.

Relative to the Kingcat: I made the contact between the Kingcat owners and Gary Vos which led to the installation of foils with great success.
  19. dreamer

dreamer New Member

For me, the more guestrooms it has, the more fun it is for special occasions. :cool:
  20. TRY

TRY Senior Member

Dag dromer!

Message to Dreamer:

Ik blijf bij mijn standpunt - 2/3 kajuiten is meer dan genoeg, anders krijg je toch te veel volk op je boot!
    Ieder zijn standpunt, hé