Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

The iPhone...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by YachtForums, Jun 29, 2007.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Carl great to read that your brief Scandinavian experience hasn't rendered you fully blond and totally incapacitated your thought and reasoning process.

Personally I have shied away from the Crackberry because of the crazy jacked up charges for roaming data, ( as you know I am rarely in my home service providers locale for long)I will see what happens when these I Phones come out in Europe if they do all it says on the tin and the roaming costs can be kept under control I might well be tempted.

In the meantime I will continue to pay homage to Apple products as I carefully move my G3 Powerbook from holding down one stack of papers to another!
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

..... :D

Speaking of paper weights, the good folks at Will It Blend have successfully created an iPhone shake. For those of you waiting to get an iPhone, this is going to hurt...

http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=iphone
  3. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

I hate to think of all the toxins that are now rushing around his blood stream :eek:
  4. Speeder23

Speeder23 New Member

anyone that has an iPhone im totally envious. i think im fine with my standard phone...i think. lol. i do agree with some have to say: the keyboard is a bit troublesome. i wouldnt enjoy texting just using one finger.
  5. CaptainSilva

CaptainSilva Senior Member

For people that don't want to deal with the 2year contract of a cellphone but love the iPhone's other capabilities for internet and such, try out the iPod touch. The memory is small right now, (8gb & 16gb) but these things are awesome. For the sake of not coming across as long-winded here, to make a long story short, it's an iPhone without the phone, or contract. WiFi, email, email-style voicemail (which is ridiculously cool...read up on that) browser, etc etc. The second link shows a guy taking all types of things, including a straight-edge razor, to the screen of this thing.

iPod Touch

iPod Touch Scratch Test
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Just wondering... a year later now, who's getting the iPhone3G? I'm 90% sure to head out to the store tomorrow for one. I mean, $200 ($300 for the 16gb) for a phone, iPod, GPS, wifi, etc etc etc seems awfully good to me. My PDA is 2 and a half years old and works great, but I'm nearly at the point of carrying 4 personal electronic devices... this would fold them all into one.

Mighty tempting.
  7. YachtForums

Tempting? No... this is a must!

My iPhone has served me well over the past year with the exception of the charging base that has stopped working. No worries, I just bypass it and plug directly into a USB port. And sometimes the phone fails to give an audible notice that a new Text Message has arrived. Not a big deal, but I did miss a message from a girl that would have cost me more than an iPhone 3G for an evening, so you might say my current iPhone helped me pay for the new 3G. :D
  8. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have been mulling over an I Phone or a Blackberry for a few months now and am probably going to go down the I Phone route.
  10. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Well the NZlanders such as the chap in the above post:D, got their hands on the 3G Iphone a full day before the designated world. I wish I could have one but hey, the service providers aren't down here, so it would not even make sense to try! I wonder how it is with the new plastic backing...

Here is a website that I like to go to when looking at the latest gadgets. Yes it already has info and pics of the NZlanders having the phone.

http://www.engadget.com
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have always had a lot of gadgets and may buy an Iphone 3G when they get unattached from the phone companies, just because it is a cool piece of design.

But I think that I would never use it. Ipod I donĀ“t use, prefer radio, the GPS in my car is never used, e-mail and websurfing I have enough of at the computer, need to rest from it when outdoors, the built in camera is not good enough, I rather carry my Canon G9 so the sudden picture will be worth saving. In the past I had phone book and planner in a Psion, but gave up on keeping it up to date and use paper books today which is much easier to overview. And as a phone, my old titanium Nokia 8910 is undestructible, a friend ran over his with a car, it is still working...;)
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

AMG,
    I've had no less than 8 people suggest that I trade in my "black book" for an i-phone or Blackberry this summer as they sit around all day scrolling (even at the dining tables). My black book is daylight readable, has been dropped hundreds of times and keeps working, contains my appointment calander, backup phonebook and cruising log which can all be scanned at a glance (I can even go back several years for info) , and it won't go instantly to blank if it ever hits the water. It's even so cheap that nobody wants to steal it. If I ever leave it behind someone always gets it back to me. What a great invention. It can even be used as a notebook.:D My greatest joy will come when I retire and ditch my cell phone once again telling people that "if you want me stop by and I'll put on a pot of coffee friend".
    P.S.- My black book cost about $8 and has lasted almost 10 years so far. Any 10 year old blackberries out there?
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes NYCAP, talking of, the Iphone is almost designed to drop overboard..:D
  14. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Iphone launch in Canada at 08:02,22. The first guy to get the first phone there was in line since 16:30 yesterday!
  15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Yep... one of the radio DJs stopped by the downtown store (opening early for the iPhone launch) and spoke to a few of the overnighters. FIDO (the provider here in Canada for the iPhone) was serving complimentary breakfast to everyone in line. LOL

Attached Files:

• 1125.jpg
      1125.jpg
      File size:
      128.4 KB
      Views:
  16. brunick

brunick Senior Member

jep that's almost the way to go :D

...and who told you to wait for the 3G iPhone?...

no Comment
  17. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

I think that new Iphone is hot stuff. Appreciating it's coolness from the standpoint of an ex-Luddite, post retro-grouch, striving for high-tech and jussssttt missing the bar...I guess Kevin's cartoon above explains a lot.
    Cool = $$$.
    Plus, I side with Lars' view: I get enough internet/e-mail/data overload sitting with a laptop and feel a bit freer walking around the docks unemcumbered with a Crackberry or SuperCoolPhone.
    So, nah, the stuff has to earn it's keep. That's why I'm using something that allows me to make totally-free unlimited long distance (U.S. & Canada) and cheap overseas phone calls. Well, not totally free: $40 for the first year and $20 thereafter. It's called magicJack and it plugs into the USB port and, connected to a regular phone (powered or not), it totally kicks Skype's heinie.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but this thing has been working great for over a week now, although I don't think it'll pass Carl's Waring test.
  18. YachtForums

Not to jack this thread, but am I the only here that can totally screw up Windows registry files? I spent the better part of yesterday wiping out my hard drive, reinstalling my operating system and about 20 software packages, tweaking the settings on each of them and congratulating myself on a job well done about 11:00 PM last night... only to discover I'm right back where I started this morning! Aarrggghhhhh! :mad:

Today, I'm not buying an iPhone. I'M BUYING A MAC! :D
  19. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

BIG MAC ATTACK!

Go for it, Carl... our faltering economy needs you.
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I read the other day that the German publisher Axel Springer AG are replacing all their 12.000 PC:s with new Macintosh computers. Making them the biggest Mac-client in Europe and second in the world after Google...