Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Delta

Technology partially responsible for insurance hike?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Aug 16, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

As usual the Triton “article” is amateurish and light on substance, but it s the first time I see the rise of technology named as a cause for rising insurance costs. It makes sense but I wonder if anyone has seen actual data. no doubt boats have become increasingly complex and more expensive in the last 20 years

https://www.**************/2022/07/underwriters-at-the-helm
  2. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Heck, I was gonna opine that "tech" dependence was the cause. Everyone is looking at their pretty displays, instead of looking out the window. When boating, we have become "observers", not operators. . . [but I have indeed become one very cynical b@stard, though. JW would confirm it - with a nod & a smile!]
  3. Brett Portzer

Brett Portzer New Member

I have heard from a marine insurance guy that the cost to repair a modern boat's electronic equipment after lightning damage is astronomical now, compared with relatively few years ago.
  4. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

A neighbors 60 Hatteras convertible was hit by lightning a several years back, he said cost was around $150k. Likely much higher today.
  5. PremierPOWER

PremierPOWER New Member

Our brand new Schaefer 660 was struck by lightning about a month ago. Going to be close to $750k (early guesstimate) to fix everything. Insurance sent out multiple surveyors, including one who specializes in lightning and insurance will be covering all repairs. Still sucks

Major Systems broken:
    - Both engines (Volvo 1200)
    - Generator
    - FLIR M364C
    - Garmin radar
    - (2) Garmin 22" MFD's
    - (2) Garmin 17" MFD's
    - (2) Garmin VHF radios
    - (6) Garmin cameras
    - (6) TV's
    - Autopilot
    - Seakeeper