Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Sportfish at Miami Boat Show; Crash & Bash...

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by CaptEvan, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd say 60% of them did.

It's a Bertram from the mid 2000's. I'm surprised it didn't self destruct or disintegrate. Looks like a 63'.
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Hopefully someone from on scene can tell us what the heck happened. In any circumstance, imo, it was improper seamanship to keep moving that boat with power?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not me.. Wife will not let me drive anything for another couple of weeks.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Wise guy! We can tell you are feeling better....
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Can anyone who possibly know that spot figure what the helmsman was aiming at?
    I mean, awful handling aside, based on the video alone, I even struggle to think of a maneuver than could have made any sense!
  6. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

maybe this RC vessel?:);)
    IMG_3485.jpeg
  7. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Because the "other boats' crews" are protecting their boats from this azzhole, that's why!!! LOL
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Rafted side to side with one of the other boats, so he would have had to come in the opening and then make a 90 degree turn......

As for the crew on the Bertram in the cockpit, it's hard to know how people will react in a major situation until it happens. Half of the people will freeze and do nothing in a situation. I sure as hell wouldn't be trying to get down the narrow side deck with a fender in hand with the captain on the throttles like that and the sportfish banging around as it's hitting stuff.
  9. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

Up here at Cocoa Village Marina, I keep seeing "employment opportunities" from a lot of boat owners - makes me want to somehow put up a business model to peddle my 23 years in Merchant Marine as a "ship driver"!!! LOL

Somehow, going up to a "prospect", and suggesting they could learn how to dock better, would end up in a very loud, "NO", and perhaps a middle-finger salute!! Anyhow, it IS very entertaining to watch.
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Could he have been trying to back into that slip? Seems there are a number of people there as if ready to help him in.
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Sort of looks like he may have originated from a side tie to the blue hull, tried to back off of her (why??), and then struck the dock behind him, never clearing any of the obstacles. I don't see any water patterns that look like shifter issues. This looks completely like driver error (can't be a captain!?) as opposed to boat malfunction. It does appear that he backed himself into quite a mess behind him that resulted in more limited options for evasion. Anyway, he fails epically.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

New boat driver wanted signs will cover the dock side hull Boo Boos.
    Assuming it was a real driver/captain.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Was that a real boat driver or worse; An owner?
  14. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

The thought crossed my mind.
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Well, the event appears to be in the Bahamas given the flags flying.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hard to see but isn’t a that a BVI flag?

anyway 90% of boaters leave their courtesy flags up after they come back ... it s like showing off that they made it there :) never mind they should have flown a Q flag coming back into us waters
  17. RER

RER Senior Member

In my case I don’t solicit the work it is usually tied into the sale of a boat - or a referral. Interestingly I’ve had quite a few couples hire me because the wife doesn’t want to be taught how to dock the boat by the husband. lol.
  18. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Probably correct regarding the flag. I don't see anyone else flying colors, and I think I see a US flag in the background on a distant pole. Just can't get my head around the conditions and strategy that would lead to this other than what seems to be too obvious of a mistake for anyone to make.
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Good observation, maybe that's what he had in mind.
    But with what appear to be a strong Xwind, and the boats in front so close, that strikes me as wishful thinking, even for a half decent helmsman.
    I would have possibly tried only knowing to have very powerful and reliable thruster(s).
    Or even better, some assistance with a small rib from the marina.
    As they say in aviation, a good pilot is the one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which require him to use superior flying skills...
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Then as a Aircraft Pilot, this was a good landing; as he still could walk away..
    Als%20gator.jpg