Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Comfort Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko

Splash!

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Jun 1, 2007.

1. krej

krej New Member

There was a link posted on THT and it has gotten over 200 views in the past hour.
  2. brunick

brunick Senior Member

Wow! :eek:

3. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

72 Predator. We both get half credit.
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Looking at the first few pictures, you can see the "M" badge up towards the fly bridge. Indicating that it would possibly be a Meridian?
  5. Hepotec

Hepotec New Member

I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post as I couldn't let this one go by!!! I'm just glad I didn't have to fill out the insurance claim form :eek:
  6. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Lars, I wonder how effective tieing ropes to the straps and to the railing would be on a larger boat... I'd wonder why the straps themselves dont have fittings to be cross-tied, so instead of having just the 2 straps, you'd have something like a # with the 2 straps holding the weight of the vessel, and a smaller strap holding each strap to the other just so the boat cant "slip out" like this one seems to have...
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On sailing yachts you often connect the straps. If you secure them to the yacht as in my picture, you need something to attach to, but then it is as safe as it can be.
  8. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

:eek: WOW, incredible pictures, incredible accident.

Glad the guys on board weren't seriously injured, could have been much worse.
  9. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Hello Quads,
    Refer to my post #13. This unfortunate boat is a Marquis 55 which is built by Carver. The one I posted has the optional hardtop. The best way to compare is to look at the hull side white tinted windows.

By the way this boat was designed by BMW. Yes, the car company is now designing boats:confused: .

A question for Lars. Do you know if BMW has designed any other boats?
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I hope not...;) But they have marketed marine engines.
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

They were involved with a certain ACC boat.... that didn't work out too well either. :(
  12. JHA

JHA Senior Member

Carl drumming up business....

SPLASH!

Quite possibly, the most amazing picture ever taken in yachting…
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This picture keeps getting more interesting. In checking the image properties, the picture was taken with a Motorola RAZRV3x... a cell phone.

Add that to Ripley's database!
  14. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

LOL! oh dear...looks very clean for a cameraphone?
  15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

RAZRV3c & m both have 1.3 megapixel cams.
  16. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Bimmer diesels in the early eighties made a very short/quick debut due to overheating problems here in South Fla.
  17. brunick

brunick Senior Member

the RAZR V3x has a 2.0mega pixels camera onboard - the pictures would be too clean for a 1.3mega pixel camera
    and that the pcitures where taken by a cell phone explains the wrong white balance @ "Splash"
  18. RNB

RNB New Member

Splash

I think Dockwise float all the boats on and off their semi submersible ships, this is more likely to be Sevenstar that do deck cargo yacht transport.
    The bloody idiot on the stern has no business being on the yacht during the lift.
    An expensive accident, one just hopes that everyone was OK. Sevenstar lost a couple of Sunseekers over the side during a Bay of Biscay gale a couple of years ago and that was an avoidable accident given the weather routing that is available to shipping these days. I hope it wasn't the owner taking the pics!
  19. grumps

grumps New Member

starting to make sense !

If this was taken on a cell phone that explains much, did someone mention they had the original picture in full size?
    Is it the correct size for the cell phone?

If so, then i am happy to withdraw my doubts as to its authenticity - in any event its still a brilliant picture.
  20. verytricky

verytricky New Member

OK, I ran 100 points through a vector program, and all 100 points have the same shadow angle. This includes 20 points on the shaking rope. So I personally believe this to be a true picture, as the amount of effort to produce the shadows correctly for all aspects is too high imo.

Other info: I do not believe a camera phone was used, as the shutter speed of my camera phone did not produce the freeze of the water as in the photo when I tested this by dropping a brick into a bucket.

However, my compact digital Fuji film camera did produce the same freeze, so its shutter speed was fast enough, so it may be possible.

It also took me eleven attempts with the camera phone to catch the splash, as there is a delay in the camera phone as it figres out what to take a picture of. The Fuji Film camera got the shot first time.