Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for JetForums

Selene Yachts - opinions, experience?

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by bigbillys, May 23, 2011.

1. Dojom

Dojom New Member

Selene owner

We own a 2006 Selene 53' that we are very pleased with. We purchased it used in 2008. So the hull warranty had already expired and has never been an issue. Most of the new boat 'bugs' had already been resolved by the time we purchased.

My personal opinion is that Nordhavn is the most worthy comparison. We strongly preferred the layout of our Selene. I prefer the wet exhaust design to the dry stack of the Nordhavn. The dry stack exhaust system seems to take up a lot of extra space. Which made the Nordhavn layout feel awkward to me. I also like the very quiet running of our Selene. Our impression has been that the fit and finish of the 2 brands is very much the same quality.

Our cruising experience here in the Pacific North West suggests to us that Selene and Nordhavn owners use their boats a lot more than most powerboat owners.

If and when we move up. We would probably purchase the new Selene 58' deep hull. This has been, for us, one of those rare purchases that gets sweeter with time and use. We feel much more confident that we made a good choice after 2 months in Alaska this past summer. (See my wife's blog about that trip at: Myfavoriteiceberg.blogspot.com )

Most of this comes down to ones own personal preferences and needs.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. BigScreen

BigScreen New Member

Let me know how your search ends, I started looking at Nordhavn and Krogen which seem to be very nice boats with very satisfied owners, but recently was on Selene that was very impressive. Was turned away from even looking at these boats as being not of same quality when I first started trawler search few years ago, but seems like you get much more boat for the money. I'm not planning on crossing any oceans, just coastal cruising and time on Great Lakes, so appreciate the capability of Nordhaven for some, but if I'm buying something I don't need would rather put money into larger boat.