Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Perko

Seeking advice on boat ownership & operation for newbie

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Jytek, Nov 22, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jytek

Jytek Member

Pascal, I fully agree with what you're saying about having easier access fore and aft. And in my looking at boats, we're looking at that as a real requirement. Only makes good sense. Strangely enough, it seems like the larger boats have much easier access (wider side decks).

Unless there is significant wind, I think I could dock in tight spaces just fine, taking it very slow, and maybe several trials. That's also something that is on our list of things to practice many a lot!
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Obviously it is easier to built in features like safe side decks, fewer steps etc when designing a larger boat. The smaller it is the more compromises you will have to accept

also, don’t forget access to systems, a frequent issue on smaller boats. It may seem trivial and you may think it s no big deal as you won’t be doing heavy mechanical work. True. Until you re on a nice week end trip, your generator impeller craps out and you realize it takes a young yoga expert to reach it.

i forgot if you re looking at new or used and what budget. You may want to look at some of the more traditional designs in the 50’ range like Sabre, Vicem, east bay etc. also if you don’t mind going older you can’t beat flush decks like Hatteras and Viking MY

I ve never run a Vicem but I looked at a couple of them a few years back and I remember them having very well designed engine rooms and a great layout
  3. Jytek

Jytek Member

I have been looking at some Carvers lately and seem to like them, especially 460 Voyager. I know they only made those for a few years, but as far as internet-looking, they look good to me. Thanks for more suggestions. I'll definitely look at those as well.

We don't really have a budget right now. Probably like to keep it under $400 and prefer closer to $300.

Regarding older boats (>20 years), is there any reason they should be avoided? I would think it's almost dependent on condition. Anything to look out for in an older boat??
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The voyager is probably one of the only carver I would consider. Most of the other ones were just too focused on interior space with odd exterior design with limited access. Carvers aren’t the best built boats but they really fine for sheltered water or settled weather

Older boats are all about condition and past maintenance. I ll take a well maintained and well built 30 year old boat over a 15 year old carver :)

One issue about older boats is the ability to get insurance. Something to keep in mind. Low experience plus old boat is going to make it tough
  5. Jytek

Jytek Member

What exactly do you mean by "not best built"?
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

exactly what I meant. Mass production boat built on the lighter side. Thinner hulls, cheaper material and equipment but will do the job for most people

note that I mentioned Carver but the same can be said of other brands like Silverton, Meridian, etc
    bayoubud and hat4349 like this.
  7. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I would listen to what Pascal says, he knows what he is talking about. I also agree with him. I have several friends that own Carvers but after one ocean voyage they will never do another. They love their boats but have realized their limitations.
  8. Jytek

Jytek Member

Could you elaborate on what issues the Carvers have? I'm at somewhat of a loss for how to tell if one boat is not as good as the next. I admit that I'm coming from pure ignorance, but trying to learn as much as possible before jumping head-first into a problem. Thanks.
  9. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I knew them in San Diego and they all, at different times, went to Catalina Island. If you know San Diego Bay it is a trip of 63 to 68 nautical miles, depends where you start. Most people run it in calm weather which is what they did. The biggest complaint was rolling, most in their parties got seasick. After one trip each I don't remember any of them leaving the bay again. They'd go as far as the point and turn around. I do know none of the boats were stabilized. One was a 57 footer, another a 52 footer, and the other was a 46 footer. They all were experienced so that wasn't a problem, the couple with the 46 footer were old sailboaters and she said never again. I know they went a lot when they had their sailboats but only one time in the Carver. They said they did not feel safe out on the ocean with it. I don't speak from personal experience, I was on all 3 boats but only inside the bay. There they were extremely comfortable, I have often wondered if stabilizers would have helped them.
  10. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

An easy way to compare boats is the weight. A light boat means generally less fiberglass and structural material. Doesn't necessarily mean it is poorly built but built for lighter sea conditions. Carvers are comfortable but the design would not be for cruising the ocean in adverse weather. Over the years overall maintenance would likely be higher too. As some would say "they are a lot of boat for the money". :)
  11. RER

RER Senior Member

There is no specific answer. You’re asking about a mid tier (at best) boat when it comes to construction quality and less than that when it comes to sea worthiness. Maybe this comparison will help...

Carver is a Dodge minivan. A popular two wheel drive multi purpose vehicle that suits a lot of people’s needs.

Hatteras is a GMC Yukon Denali. An all wheel drive king-of-the-road. A powerful and capable SUV at the top of it’s class.

There’s plenty of both on the road. Nothing wrong with either one for their intended use. But which one would you rather drive your family through a storm in?
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Unlike cars where pretty much all cars nowadays are built to set safety and insurance standards, boats are designed and built for their intended use which includes speed but also sea conditions.

take a Viking or hatteras sportfish for example, they are designed to go 30kts head on into 6’ seas. Or more. Try this with your average Carver, Silverton, Meridian, Sea ray or many more and you will probably make it but after a couple of times you ll have loose cabinetry, loose bulkheads, engine mounts issues etc. and a very unhappy wife who at best will refuse to go on the boat and at worst will be calling 1 800 divorce

As Bayoubud mentioned, boat weight will give you an indication of how solid the boat is built although there are other factors that come into play like use of coring and lighter non structural materials inside.

hull shape plays a role too. Sharper entry and more dead rise (angle of the hull surface aft) will result in a softer ride and better sea handling. Downside is higher fuel burn, less space down below and more rolling. Flatter hull will be more economical... a wider bow will provide room for a nice forward stateroom with a centerline queen... but head into 4 footers and you will feel every single one.
  13. RER

RER Senior Member

52D77824-1A4D-4142-92C8-F2F3441EA9C9.jpeg Take a look at something like the 48’ Hatteras CPMY. They were built in the 1990’s and would be my choice over the Jefferson you mentioned or the Carver.

A cruising couple can handle it with side deck access to fixed docks and cockpit access for floating docks. You can get around the boat but have to go through the aft deck enclosure same as the Jefferson (side decks on Carver Voyagers are about 6 inches wide). Hatteras is a better built boat with better sea keeping abilities than the others you have mentioned.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    T.T. likes this.
  14. Jytek

Jytek Member

Based on some suggestions, I have been looking at some Hatteras boats. Actually, I like the 48 CPMY and the 52 CPMY. There seem to be several in the 1990-1991 years. Any opinions on these boats??

Also, I didn't find a single one that had bow and/or stern thrusters. What would be the cost to add those to a boat??

Another curious question... if a boat needs to be shipped or transported, what kind of cost are we talking about. There seem to be a lot boats in Florida and Virginia. Just wondering if that would be too far or not??
  15. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

A bow thruster will be $10K +, not sure on the stern, however likely substantially less since there isn't as much labor in fiberglass work.

You can hire a Captain and Mate to reposition the boat with you. Will be a great learning experience for you and your wife. You can both learn boat as well as line handling so everyone learns how each position helps each other. A well placed line can make a captain look really good...
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Stern thrusters are really a waste on a twin diesel boat as splitting the gears (one in F one in R) will move the stern faster than a thruster.

boat thruster helps but not really needed under 70/75’ where forces are getting high on cleats or piling
    hat4349 likes this.
  17. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I came in one time when we were caught in a storm with winds over 30 miles a hour. By using the gears I was able to easy dock the boat. I can't believe there is a thruster that would help in those conditions. If you have a twin screw you don't need thrusters. I had a friend in San Diego that had them and he loved them, however with his 46 footer with twin screws I thought they were a waste.

I've had people that ask me about them, I tell them the only thing I know is hydraulic is better than electric.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Typical thrusters become useless against 20+Kts. Hydraulic thrusters are better as you can run them much longer compared to electric which will overheat and go into safety cools down.

the downside is that when you need to adjust bow lines you have to start a gen or main.
    hat4349 likes this.
  19. leeky

leeky Senior Member

What do you start if you don't have thrusters?
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Liquid Courage??
    Magic Carpet and hat4349 like this.