Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights

searay l650 bridge

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by ameriboat, Aug 4, 2020.

1. MT0331

MT0331 New Member

Sorry for my earlier reply I should’ve kept reading! Glad to hear the boat is treating you well.. it’s on my shortlist for sure.
  2. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Maritimo model? Power plant? Shafts, V drive or IPS? Stabilized? You know the detailes:)

Perhaps you could start a new thread on your search and mission for SeaRay life to Maritimo life.

We hear little of Maritimo or Riviera for that matter, would be cool to have your thoughts on the change.

Have a great summer.
    leeky, f3504x4ps and Capt Ralph like this.
  3. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Pretty sure Maritimo’s philosophy is simpler is better and does the straight shafts on their builds.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Since nobody has brought this up;
    I do hate new builds from a mass production (budget or cost reduced) builder.
    You know there will be issues as the product evolves. It can take a while (maybe years) before the mfg gets all the bugs worked out from their build process from delivered models.
    Then updates the mfg line.

SR suddenly announced and launched the L series. Built for a short time and then suddenly quit.

IMO; a strange attempt to build a real motor yacht, a strange build time and now a small build market that there is always a few for sale.
    Again IMO; if your looking for a keeper, look on.
    Double IMO; The Bayliner motor yacht had better R&D than the L series. May be a better product (investment) for the long haul.
  5. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

I looked at the L650 the week of the announcement of cancellation. You could get one for the price they’re selling at now. While the layout was nice. I did not like the execution of the engine room. Hoses fuel lines, usage and water lines were all over the place and you were either stepping on them or trying to tipi toe around them. Also looked at the L550 express. Again same issue in the engine room. We walked away.
  6. Dani-Lu

Dani-Lu New Member

Hello, I recently became the captain on a Sea Ray L650. Can someone tell me where the generator battery is located?
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Follow the battery cables coming out of the generator.
  8. Dani-Lu

Dani-Lu New Member

Thanks Cap, that was my next step, but was hoping someone knew where the heck Sea Ray mounted it.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

lol, typical SR.. they buried that battery in a far corner.

every time I ve been on a SR, I was appalled by the lack of access to systems. No consideration for maintenance. I remember helping a friend replace a fresh water pump on a 45 sundancer, you could look at the pump, you could reach it with one arm and that was it. No way to get to it with two hands! On all these years trying to build “yachts”, you d think they d have learned a thing or two.
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

True that! Same with a lot of production boats. To facilitate faster production, certain systems are installed before the deck is joined to the hull.
    f3504x4ps likes this.
  11. Dani-Lu

Dani-Lu New Member

Well, thanks to a good man that used to be an amazing employee and asset to Sea Ray, I found out the geni runs off the same bank of batteries as the engines. No separate geni battery.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No separate gen battery on a 65 footer??? That’s why small boat builders end up in the deep end of the pool when they try to build significantly bigger boats. They do it using what they do on small boat.

it s not just sea ray but other builders which have even try to rebadge the bigger boat like Carver/Marquis or Silverton/ovation
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I managed a later 70ish Hatt MY a while back. C32s and dual gen-sets.
    Gen-sets started from the stb main battery bank and the house ran from the port main batteries. Just like the older hats.

This was some of the first issues to be fix just after the boat was purchased.
    Way back in the after port corner was just enough room for a pair of G31 batts for the gen-sets.
    Just in reducing a mile of thin battery cables and larger cables to the now very close batteries, the gen-sets spun up faster and started much easier.
    This all reminded us that dedicated batts should be installed separately for all engines.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Geez. Even back then hatteras used separate batteries for the gens. I hated how one starting bank doubled up as house bank. Changed all that when I repowered
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On my buds 65' conversion, the gen-sets came off the stb main batteries.
    This was fixed also.

The big Hatt sold and is on the left coast of FL now.
    Had already converted all his DCv lights to LEDs.
    Lots less wattage required from the port batteries.

On my buds 65 conversion, we also went to LEDs.

Neither boat has anyplace for a house bank without some serious mods or expense.
    So much for an inverter on this 65 also.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now, in a funny view, Our 46 year old Bertram 58 MY has plenty of room.
    Currently 14 (was 16) big batteries in the engine room.
    But, the house is still split between the two mains starting batteries.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I n surprised a 70 didn’t have enough room for more batteries. My old 53 originally had two 32v banks in the gen room and I added 8 golf cart batteries for an inverter bank. I could have easily doubled that
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Found some notes, 2014, 72' Hat MY.
    C32s, ZF 2360 clutches, Track stabilizers, Cat Gen-Sets (normally OhNo), Sand water filter (small pool sized), 2 x HeadHunter water pumps, DCv power boxes, Huge isolation transformers, Tool box, Mains and gen-set glass mufflers (thru the hull), Monster Delta T ventilation with twin monster blowers, Power supply for the davit, Miles of grey water hoses from all over the boat to connect to drain manifolds, to the transom (like SeaRay and Meridians) & gobbles of more junk I can not remember.
    The mains batteries just fit under the deck plates outside the main engine stringers. I had to lay down around the engine fronts to check them. Replacing them was a pain.
    It was a stand up engine room, Center door aft to access. But other than between the engines for checks (reaching around the big dual Racor 1000 and primer pump towers in this same walkway) and squeeze around the front of the engines sideways (to not bump anything on the DCv boxes) there was no other deck space to lay a sandwich.
    Nope, I squeezed those gen-set batteries in the back behind the mufflers, that was the last unused deck in there.

I luved the owners, they paid well and fast, I hated that boat.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I do hope the new captain has more room and fun on that L650 than I did working on that blood thirsty Hatt..