Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno

Sea Ray 580 Sedan Bridge?

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by ranger58sb, Dec 21, 2020.

1. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I only heard of that remote oil filters placement (which in fact I mentioned at the end of post #27), but I've never seen one in flesh.
    Do you know if it's an original MAN part, and if not where it could be found?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Performance Diesel rigged the MAN engines for SeaRay.
    It looked like a factory setup but so did the clutch oil cooler mounting (TD5114A) that was fab'd by them also.
    I'm sure they can either offer the part number or sell you the kit.
    I archived all my pictures from those boats. Digging them up may take a bit. Maybe a current owner can send you a pic from their rigs.
  3. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Thanks for the review, Ralph.

Sounds like there's a tint of "Aside from that, Mrs, Lincoln..."

-Chris
  4. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

Here is my only pic of the stb oil filter assembly. Also shows the leaking insert that the plug screws into, since resolved. Let's just say this is a very "German" design: think BMW et al. Maybe a bit over engineered. Regarding Ralph's comments I wouldn't disagree, these things exist and I have worked on them all as well. Being a bit smaller than Ralph (per his dimensions) I found these various points of access easier but still requiring some gymnastics. I think it's all relative and the boat overall is a very good one and maybe one of SeaRay's best, but again it isn't a Hatteras either.
    upload_2020-12-26_10-26-22.jpeg
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The rigs I worked on had them further in.
    I remember now, the forward cartridge was just inboard of the raw water pump.

That leaking drain plug in the picture is a typical issue with those assemblies.
    The plug screws into a bushing, that is coarsely screwed into the casting.
    If you over tighten the plug, on next removal, the bushing is loosened or comes out.

Also note the clutch oil cooler. This contains the only zinc for the engine assembly. The MAN engine uses NO zincs.

Bottom rite of the picture is the original raw water pump for the ships A/C systems.
    When the propeller shaft log composite seal starts leaking, this pump motor is gone.
  6. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Friends just cruised from Hood Canal to San Juan Islands for Christmas. Pacifc Northwest may need to be on your radar too.
  7. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

Fair enough!
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Many thanks for sharing your photo, that's very interesting.
    I just went down in my e/r to check the feasibility of using the same kit, but unfortunately in that area I have the raw water steel pipe outlet, just before it splits to feed the wet exhausts of each cylinder bank. And relocating that would be a nightmare.
    Oh, well. At least I tried.
    Good thing that in my boat, even if pretty tight, the access to the outboard side of the engines is still manageable...
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I actually DESPISE the filters on MAN's and the location. It's an antiquated system from the 1930's of having upside down cartridge filters. Also why the hell do they put inserts into a cast iron oil filter housing for the drain bolts to thread into, rather than just threading the housings? What I cannot understand is why they can't change to simple spin on filters for the secondaries and oil filters. The new v8-1200's I'm dealing with have cartridges for both.......yet the old 800 common rails had spin on secondaries.........
  10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I couldn't agree more, but it's one of those things you have to live with, if you've got those engines.
    BTW, I never noticed that they dropped the spin on secondary fuel filters in the latest blocks.
    Some German engineer must really love the cartridges, for some reason! o_O
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There are probably still 10,000 or so of these filter assemblies on a shelf somewhere.
    Cast to fit that oil cooler that was cast to fit the side of these blocks & designed-cast to point up away from the boat hull stringer.

If you could just remote mount generic spin on oil filter assemblies. Point them down and glue them where you want them.
    Hummmm.
    As soon as that mfg warranty is out, I'd go here.

Or, just go in there like a good boy scout and change them like everybody else does.
  12. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

Yea, my secondaries are spin on's, why the hell would they go back to cartridges? The oil filter assemblies are just bizarre, and the fact that they remoted the stb side , then why not go the extra step and just convert them to spin on's as well? Would really like to know the working theory, because it's lost on me. Also, They only reason for an insert is to protect or bolster the main body/casting, seems over engineered for sure, but again it's the Germans. Same engineers must have worked for BMW. I got a process down but it could be a lot easier for sure.
  13. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Good question. I wish I knew the answer! :D
    But at a guess, you might be correct with your thought of better protection.
    In their normal placement, the oil filters stick out from the rest of the engine and are indeed are a bit exposed, when they happen to be on the inboard side (i.e. port engine with straight shafts, or stb engine with V-drives, as I have in my boat).
    The cartridge covers indeed look solid enough that you'd struggle to break them if you would try with a hammer!
    But in the remote placement which you showed in your pic, there isn't even that problem, because they are not in the way at all.
    Though they might have just thought to use the same parts, which makes some sense...
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

LOL, for some reason that sounds familiar! :rolleyes:
    Not that this is only true of MAN filters, mind.
    Contorsionism is an essential skill in any boat, either for this or for any other hard to reach equipment... :D
  15. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

Yep, as I said it's all relative. As confounded as I am by the MAN oil filter design and set up, I consider their placement in our 550 DB infinitely more accessible than what was on my 460 DA with 3208's, (stb engine). That was diabolical and were even standard screw on types. I was about to have them moved, then we sold it.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Diabolical is speaking kindly of the CAT design requiring torture, pain and lots of blood letting while servicing 3208s in some boats I have been around.
    I thought a Fleming install sucked until I lost all my blood working on a 34 Viking Convertible with 3208TA's.
    Raw pump access, hard oil filter access and any routine service cringed my back working on this Sadistic device.
    I had to pass on the job to replace a failed clutch on this same beast.

I think somebody looked at a 3208NA and thought tight but it will due, then ordered a 3208TA.

AND, I'm a 3208 fan, just not in tight spaces.
  17. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

And let’s not talk about leaking throttle shaft seals......after oil changes , raw water impellers, a bad start solenoid relay, and a valve cover gasket I called CAT for those babies. I’ve donated to the 3208 blood blank for sure....flesh and blood.....no bones.