Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Salvage of the Nordhavn EYF that sunk in Mexico

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by diesel one, Mar 15, 2011.

1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

We live in different worlds. Many yachts of this size use no captain or hire a per diem captain. I know as many captains that I would never consider to be anything close to an engineer, as I do engineers that I'd never let dock a boat or plot a course. I know enough to do this install, but I would never do it because there are those who do it day in and day out. I'd expect them to do it better, and I'd depend on their expertise.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

OK, in Europe you can find owner operated yachts up to about 80 feet, then you usually have a captain/engineer up to about 100 feet and then you find both a captain and an engineer onboard.
  3. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Nordhavn sinking

The conventional thinking/stories is/are that tuna tubes were installed and a plastic threaded cap was placed on the outlet. Same type cap as anyone can buy at a big box store to put on the end of threaded plastic plumbing pipe. The cap came off and sunk the boat.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"... the item was installed and as a result, the boat sank."

One last attempt - the item was installed, the boat sank.

Those are the only truths you are in a position to know. It is wrong to insinuate that Mexican workers did a bad job and the boat sank as a result.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Same here. This was a 75'.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't even know if the workers were Mexican, but the installers were the only ones known to have had a hand in this. So that's a pretty good place for where to start the questions. That there was a captain or engineer supervising the work or that any owners rep is responsible for an installer's mistake is irresponsible. That's like me having my roof repaired and it being my fault when the rain pours in a day later because I should have known they did a lousy job.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Before any fufu Valves are blown can anyone say with any certainty that it the install of the Tuna Tubes actually had anything to do with the lead up to the sinking?

It may well be that these boats have pitifully small bilge pumps , the install of some extra hull fittings might have had nothing at all to do with the problems that made sink it, it could have flooded by a lot of other means and the mickey mouse bilge system was unable to cope.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Again,
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"...too many 'ifs' for anything but speculation ..."

Then why do you keep insisting that the boat sank as a result of an item being installed?

And please, spare us the coy games ... when you asked about saving money by not going to Seattle or Fort Lauderdale you implied that the workmanship in Mexico was not up to some standard.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"Coy games"? Have you read how many if's and inuendos you included in your posts here. The only thing difinitive in your posts was you're attempt to blame a captain that you don't even know exists. My statement related to this statement:
    Could undersized bilge pumps have contributed to the sinking? I don't know, but the water had to come in before the pumps could fail to keep up. Maybe a marlin spiked the bottom of the boat. I don't know. But it's been stated that tuna tubes were just installed and that's more likely the source than a marlin. Do I think you can get good work done in Mexico or China or anyplace else? Sure. I also feel that your odds of getting the best work done are in the U.S., but that will cost more. Guess I'm biased. I believe in the American work ethic.
  11. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

If there was a paid "professional" captain on board it is his / her responsibility to ensure that the vessel is in a safe & seaworthy condition. A real captain could do this job, a bus driver could not.

Some how that yacht got from the the west coast, to Florida and down to Mexico and none of the so called experts realized that the bilge pumps were in-adequate and when a major hole was put thru' the bottom of the boat the professionals did not seem to think it may be a good idea to close off a sea cock while they went to a bar.

I guess besides the bilge pumps not working the galley was not as appealing to a crew than a bar in Mexico.

If, if's & and's were pot's & pan's there would be no need for tinker's.

None of us know for sure what happened but maybe it is a lesson to all that a watch should always be maintained and especially when new equipment is installed whether it be in Mexico or up the New River in Fort Lauderdale. ( I have seen many sinkings in this town thanks to mistakes being made by the white folk ?)
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There are a whole lot of assumptions here and no facts. Nobody really knows what happened, who was on the boat, or even supposed to be on the boat, or what really caused the sinking at this point......All anyone knows, is a bait pump was recently installed and the boat sank.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Hasn't that gone the way of the Dinosaurs ?:D

Where ever a job is being done on your boat you need to check that no matter who is doing it that the work is carried out correctly. If you don't know how to check it yourself engage someone who does. This includes specifying and building the thing in the first place.

A lot of the accidents/broken things and duffers that the likes of Yachtjocky, Marmot and the rest of us encounter can be traced back to a point where there has been a total lack of what should be common sense to those that are demanding the big bucks, single cabins and a 1 on 1 off rotation if they are half as good as they think they are.

This is not something that is just confined to the smaller end of the yachting scale but is spread throughout the industry.
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Do you mean the "work ethic" that can't even attribute a quote correctly?

"it has been said that a boat yard in Mexico installed it that week, and used the wrong hose size or fitting size and the bait pump left a 2" (thru-hull) opening in the bottom of the boat."

Look that one up before you try to use it as an example of whatever you are trying to say.

And give us all a break, stop squirming long enough to admit your Seattle/Fort Lauderdale/save money statement was an attempt to denigrate the Mexican yard. Stop trying to make it a fact that the installation caused the sinking.

We don't know if something failed, or if it did fail if it was because of bad workmanship or if the job was even finished and who decided it was OK to leave for the night in whatever condition it was left.

As a general rule, yard workers do not open or close skin valves on a floating vessel without permission and knowledge of the captain or owner's rep. Again, your tiny boat culture is coloring how you look at the world.
  15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Definition of DUFFER (Merriam-Webster)

: a peddler especially of cheap flashy articles b : something counterfeit or worthless

: an incompetent, ineffectual, or clumsy person; especially : a mediocre golfer

Australian : a cattle rustler

I take great offense at that characterization, young man. I do not play golf!
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

This sums up a number of individuals who sprang to mind when I wrote that, I was not thinking of you, me or YJ as being amongst the herd which is why I wrote it the way I did.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

American Work Ethic

Thankfully only at the top end of business. And again, not that there aren't slouches here and good workers elsewhere. There's a new show on TV called Undercover Boss. It would benefit every employer to watch. Every CEO and even the Mayor of Cincinnati, who went undercover in their own companies, so far have come away with new found respect and compassion for their workers. It's more than a cliche'. And before anyone thinks it's a race or national origin thing, there was a couple on last week who were from El Salvador. Anyone would be proud to be their parent or child. We're a melting pot. There's just something about our culture that fosters pride in one's work, even at the lowliest levels.
  18. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I will acknowledge many of the other failings but the golf thing is going too far! :D
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've also seen a lot of very qualified engineers make mistakes also. Everyone forgets something once in a while. I've seen hose clamps forgotten on one raw water pump once, I've seen the watermaker piss freshwater out of the overflow first thing in the morning because someone forgot to shut it down before they went to sleep. People are human, and critical things should always be double checked.
  20. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Jim Leishman's statement on the sinking of the N75

Sinking of Nordhavn 75 – hull #2

The details of the sinking accident in Cabo San Lucas are pretty clear at this stage and the
    problem was completely associated with the installation of a Tuna Tube bait system which was
    conceived, designed and installed by contractors in Mexico.

PAE had no involvement whatsoever. The boat had been delivered two years earlier and the
    present owner purchased it from the first owner about ten months ago and shipped it from Ft.
    Lauderdale to Cabo San Lucas.

The boat sunk at about 10:00 pm on Thursday the 3rd of February 2011.
    By Sunday the 6th of February at about 6:00 pm she was refloated.

On Sunday morning prior to the refloating a diver entered the engine room and reported that a
    large PVC fitting has popped off of a large pump and that was the source of the leaking.
    When access was possible photos were taken. The photo above shows the PVC fitting with a
    Sealand sanitation hose attached. The fitting was loose and laying in the bilge below the engine
    room floor. The diver had noted the through hull was open and he closed it before they
    attempted to raise the boat. The diver also noted that the water tight door between the engine
    room and the lazarette was open.The photo above shows the fitting lifted and the detail can be seen.

The photo above shows the incoming water when the thru hull was temporarily opened to
    observe the water flow. Water is flowing out of the pump which is mounted under the engine
    room floor - in the upper right of the photo. The pump is plumbed directly to the thru hull and is
    approximately three to four feet below the static waterline. The fitting shown is attached to a
    Sealand hose and runs up to the Tuna Tube bait system located in the cockpit. The pump is
    hard plumbed to the two inch thru hull and valve with no inline strainer.

The flooding took place entirely within the engine room which is separated from the Lazarette
    by a water tight bulkhead with a large water tight ships door. Each compartment had an AC
    positive displacement pump and a DC centrifugal pump with float switches. After calculating the
    reduction in capacity of the centrifugal pump due to head pressure it is estimated that the
    combined pumping capacity was about 1,300 gallons per hour. The boat is also fitted with an
    emergency hydraulic driven pump capable of 10,000 gallons per hour with suction lines at each
    compartment along with a 240 volt AC centrifugal back of the same capacity - however these
    pumps must be manually activated and an engine or generator has to be running to develop the
    hydraulic pressure required.

It appears that the engine room flooded and then water spilled over the sill of the open lazarette
    door. At that point the lazarette pumps should have operated but the combined capacity of all
    four pumps running was not sufficient to deal with the amount of water entering.
    The calculation below shows that a two inch hole with a four foot head of pressure - will allow
    water to flow at 9,200 gallons per hour. As the vessel sank lower the flow would have
    increased.

The above photo shows the PVC fitting with the threaded collar that screws over the male
    threads of the pump outlet. This fitting is similar to what’s commonly seen on the bottom of a
    kitchen sink drain.

The photo below shows the male threads of the centrifugal pool pump that the above fitting was
    attached to.

A few comments about some of the questions and comments posed on the Yacht Forums
    discussions:

The standard “nuisance water pumps” installed aboard the 75 are a positive displacement
    pump which is mounted fairly high in the bilge with a suction line running down to an intake
    strainer. These pumps are 120 volt AC so they can be run via the batteries and inverter as well
    as from dockside or generator supplied electricity. An AC pump is far more robust than a DC
    pump and normally specified on larger yachts.

Centrifugal DC pumps commonly used on smaller boats and installed within the bilge are very
    limited on their ability to lift water. On the 75 the draft is in excess of seven feet so the engine
    room pumps will have to lift bilge water upward seven feet to the water line and approximately
    three feet more over a vented loop. The capacities are greatly diminished with this kind of lift.
    PAE uses a virtually identical bilge pumping system aboard our 86 and have received ABS
    certification. Additionally 120, hull #1 is being built to ABS classification with existing plan
    approval, engineered by Applied Marine Design of Mobile Alabama (one of the most respected
    marine engineering firms in the country) and has essentially the same system but with slightly
    greater capacity.

In this case the “Unattended Bilge Pumping” capacity could have been doubled or tripled and
    the results would likely have been the same. Had people been aboard the pumping capacity of
    the large hydraulic and 240 volt electric pumps could have kept up however if the hole was four
    inches instead of two, they could not have. Ultimately the best safeguard against this type of
    accident is the use of watertight bulkheads which in some cases of serious flooding is the only
    thing that will prevent the loss of a vessel until much larger pumps can be brought aboard.
    Unfortunately the Pacific Coast Marine, ABS approved water tight door aboard the 75 from the
    engine room to the lazarette was not closed when the crew left the boat for the night.