Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Burger

Retirement Dreams

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by sminsc, Aug 13, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

I'm Concerned

I hope that I can revive this thread; for some reason, the forum wouldn't allow me to begin a new one.

Anyway, as the title implies, I am concerned. It is my intention to retire in 5 or 6 years and purchase a sizeable vessel for the purpose of world cruising. While finances are obviously a concern (the reason why I'm postponing is so that I won't have to take out a loan), build quality has me worried.

Let me begin with specifics: I want a vessel that is very seaworthy and capable of entering almost any maritime environment, save, perhaps, the Arctic and Antarctic. You tough, old salts can have them. However, I'd like to cruise just about everywhere in between: Western Canada/Southern Alaska, the Med, the Carribean, South Pacific, Northern Europe, Asia, etc. I plan to spend a week or two at each port until I've seen everything and then I'll start again. I imagine that I'll be living on the vessel on a semi-permanent basis. I will probably have a regular, rotating roster of family and friends.

What does that mean? I want an elegant/comfortable environment for me and those dear to me. I want a sturdy, seagoing vessel that doesn't look like something outfitted for National Geographic (nothing against them--love their magazine). I want something with lots of space so that my family and I can be close, but not too close. I want variety and options. I will need an office to do part-time consulting to keep the principal in my accounts growing ahead of inflation and support my antique book habit (more expensive than you'd think), so a top-rate communications suite is a must.

I want a gourmet galley (I can hold my own, but will have a chef) and exercise facilities, etc. I hope I don't sound cliche, but I want the type of life idealized by the Enlightenment: elegant entertaining, intellectual and physical stimulation--minus the knickers, frock coats and powdered wigs. I think I will need something in the 220-250 foot range.

Here's my concern: hull quality. I've done copious research on hull materials and I've come to the conclusion that nothing normally employed in hull construction will suit me. I want to be a monogamist: I want to build a boat whose basic structure will last me a lifetime (I'm 43 now and the men in my family typically live to be 85-90). I want this to be my great attempt at self-expression. I realize that even if the hull is permanent, engines and systems will have to be updated, but to me the hull is paramount.

According to my calculations, steel is the only thing that comes close to being able to fulfill this requirement. I refuse to purchase a plastic boat that will rot or delaminate or whatever you want to call it and aluminum will pit and oxidize as well. Steel, while strong, is also subject to corrosion, so the only obvious choice is: titanium steel, or an aluminum-vanadium-titanium alloy--right?

Furthermore, I'd like for this vessel to be as green as possible. Azipods seem like the best starting point for this, as well as solar panels to help run the hotel when she's at anchor, etc.

Please grant me the benefit of your wisdom, ladies and gentlemen.
  2. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

Oh, BTW

My other observation/question about hulls: I'll likely need to go with a German or Dutch firm for construction, right? I think my requirements have eliminated any American, English, Italian or Asian boat builder.

I just hope that they don't try to push me towards an interior that looks like a medical office or the set of some 1970s sci-fi film.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How about Ferro Cement with Titanium reinforcing wire???? :D
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Holy crap MH, are you kidding?
    Do you really expect anyone to take you seriously with a name like that?

And if that's your real name, I'll have to assume you got beat up as a kid or laughed at.
    Grow up.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you are going to build custom from new and want it in 5 - 6 yrs you should make a start now.

Get a stylist to make the interior however you want it, if you have a house with a style you would like on the boat let your chosen one look at that and adapt it for your boat. Get a good detailed specification, look at the various yards and see what their finished products look like.

On a new build saving money by cutting corners at the start is a sure way to spend more later.

What sort of budget do you have in mind for this vessel?
  6. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

Yes there are big names in the Netherlands and Germany building superyachts but yards like Trinity or Delta in America and Benetti, CRN etc. in Italy work on the same level.
  7. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

First, let me apologize for expressing myself poorly. I did not mean to imply that I want to do this inexpensively; I merely don't wish to waste resources. To me, that is something akin to a sin. I fully expect to pay handsomely for quality materials and workmanship.

In terms of budget, I presume it is going to cost me between $60 & $70M--correct? If I am too conserative in my estimate, I would appreciate a more realistic figure, as this information would have a serious impact upon my plans. One could argue that I should contact yacht makers, but I don't want to enter that process without a reasonable idea in terms of cost. Going to someone from whom you wish to purchase something and saying, "I don't know what this is going to cost" is tantamount to saying, "Here's my checkbook--please help yourself." My grandfather (for whom my screen name is a pun, BTW) would be rolling in his grave if I were derelict in my fiduciary responsibilities.

Not to put too fine a point upon this, but I simply wish to make the best deal for the best yacht.
  8. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

Surprised by Your Answer

9. FatPauly

FatPauly New Member

Have you looked into the Dashew yachts?

- Paul
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Given the poster above your last ones first post I do not think Dashew have anything that will meet the posters requirements or expectations.
  11. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

Paul,

I looked at their website. They look well-made, but are too small for what I had in mind and they seem to be for a more rugged type of sailor.

Thank you for the recommendation, though.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

13. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

15. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

So, what you're telling me, Capt. J, is that I might get a good discount once they salvage her?

Seriously, I did read a couple of articles about the sinking and it seems more like crew error than the boat. The exhaust had some sort of redundancy that was supposed to keep water out and one genset was still running, as evidenced by the fact that they had power. It also had three bilge pumps, which was one more than required by code.

Upon reflection, I was going to discount them anyway, simply due to the fact that they don't seem to have much of a reputation of any kind, which makes me nervous.
  16. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

I am far away from being expierinced/ a expert in this buisness but I would recommend you to charter yachts from different yards, so you check out the quality and what kind of yacht/yard suits to you...
  17. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

You are absolutely right--that's what I intend to do. However, there are so many makers, I have to narrow them down to a "short list" as it were. I don't have the time to spend a year chartering yachts (although it would be immensely enjoyable), getting a feel for dozens of makers. Therefore, I am trying to learn as much as possible at this point so that I am able to make informed decisions in the process of narrowing the list.
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Tell me what make is your private jet and I can tell you what shipyard you should go to...
  19. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

Mhm... another idea would be that you make short list with yachts you like in terms of design and features, to clearify in which direction it goes...

But how about contacting K1W1, he is a much respected Member and was involved in buliding yachts all over the world as far as I know. I am shure he is the best person to talk with...And of course Lars, he is an excellent designer and a big help.
  20. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

I don't recall saying that I had one--nor do I. I imagine it is some question of my sincerity, which I guess is understandable. As I stated in one of my earliest posts, I don't yet have the means to acquire the vessel I want; I believe that I stated that I was acquiring information due to the fact that I wanted to have as much information as possible so that I may fashion a realistic goal. I want to have a tangible set of parameters.

If I have somehow offended you or have given you cause to doubt my sincerity or what have you, I do apologize. However, I believe I have been transparent in stating my actions and motivations.