Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Repowering a 54' Donzi Sportfish

Discussion in 'Donzi/Roscioli Yacht' started by DOCKMASTER, Sep 5, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mapism

mapism Senior Member

LOL, maybe he felt that he had to recommend something, to make his job more appreciated. :)
    I would have understood if he asked to replace a plastic seacock attached to a bronze strainer, but the other way round is perfectly OK imho - particularly with smallish diameters.
    Anyhow, a bronze strainer doesn't hurt, of course!

Just one question on the Lasdrop seal, did you chose it based on some previous good experiences, or any other reasons?
    I'm only asking because I read about them on some magazine, but yours is the first boat I've ever seen with their seals actually installed.
    Maybe it's just because they don't have any representation in Europe. Well, not that I'm aware of, at least.

Clean job anyhow, well done!
    Can't wait to see your seatrial report.
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I chose the Lasdrop based on recommendation from trusted vendor AND because I wanted seals that get fed cooling water regardless of which engine is running. We do lots of hours trolling on one engine. I wanted to be assured both seals were getting water regardless which engine is running.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

And your bilges were sooo clean.

I agree with the surveyor. Raritan and others make some near bomb proof plastic like strainers but in the cold waters you are in, Even that stuff, could get brittle in the future.
    That Perko sight glass could be an argument against what I'm saying. At over twice the thickness and better protected, it's still the way to go.

Would you have underwater, tru-hull lights?
    Some of those mfgs use all plastic lens, flange and tube in one piece clear plastic also. Aqumaluma comes to mind as a first example. Great stuff and I used to sell it but I would not use them in your cold water also.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Kids from all over the world are waiting for that trial report.
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I just decided it wasn't worth arguing over the strainers. They are not in a place they could be stepped on and cold water (not freezing) effect is debatable. But easy enough to change them and move on so that's what we did. The bronze baskets are larger and perhaps a little easier to service. And heck, bigger is always better - right!

I promise you, nobody wants the trials results more than me. Maybe I should charge for them to offset a few bucks of this stupidly expensive project :):):):)
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It's a boat, they effect us all.
    Just want a happy boat is my usual line.
    The taller the bank account, the more wild of a time the boat has with us.
    Almost like another wife.

Income for the trials? Charge CAT....
  7. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I can see the point in following a recommendation of a vendor you trust.
    After all, he surely knows that you would knock to his door, should you have any reason to not be happy!

Not sure about what difference those Lasdrop things make ref. cooling with one engine off, though.
    Isn't it just a matter of plumbing some additional pipes, also with any other dripless seal?
    Besides, there is also the alternative (which is what I've got on my boat, btw) of pumpless cooling (for lack of better wording), i.e. through a dedicated raw water intake for each seal, that grabs water whenever the boat is moving, regardless of which engine is running.
    That can keep the seals cooled also with the boat towed and no engine running, in fact.
    Not that I'm willing to experiment this, mind...
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Amen to that.
    My own line is that I could have saved some money by getting drug rather than boat addicted.
    But at least, the latter is healthier than the former... :)
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Not sure about what difference those Lasdrop things make ref. cooling with one engine off, though.
    Isn't it just a matter of plumbing some additional pipes, also with any other dripless seal?
    Besides, there is also the alternative (which is what I've got on my boat, btw) of pumpless cooling (for lack of better wording), i.e. through a dedicated raw water intake for each seal, that grabs water whenever the boat is moving, regardless of which engine is running.

Yes - lots of ways to skin this cat, none of which are wrong likely. I chose the one that also helped me accomplish one of my goals which is to have as few of hoses, cables and crap running all over the engine room as possible. With the Lasdrop I have a total of 3 hoses to support both seals. A simple supply hose to each then a crossover between the two. That's it. Easy Peezy.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Easy Peezy and KISS are to phrases to work by.
  11. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Got back in the water this morning after 9 months on the hard. Went very smooth. Not a single leak anywhere despite all the work done. Lots to do still. Should be lighting off and testing the new gens in the next day or two. Will check and adjust final alignments if anything needed after sitting in the water a few days to acclimate. After commissioning and testing the new equipment then we go through from stem to stern, top to bottom and test operate EVERYTHING! New carpet still going in as well.
    Cat scheduled to arrive 6/8 to do checks and engine start ups. Trials on 6/9 or 6/10 depending how light off goes. Keeping fingers crossed on everything.
  12. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Great to be floating again, how does the waterline look, new versus old?
  13. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

She looks lite best I can tell from photo, as expected. But water tank is empty and still have more to put back on. Carpet, dinghy, etc, etc. Will see when all is back to normal. We are keeping at the shipyard to finish and do trials from there. Much easier access for tools and equipment. Will go back to marina slip after trials.

IMG_3302.JPG IMG_3302.JPG
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, it's ALWAYS nice to go back in the water after sitting on the hard for so long. I too look forward to seeing sea trial results. Very odd to see a SF without outriggers! :D
  15. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I can't remember to have ever seen rod holders at the bow, either. If that's what they are...?
    Beautiful boat, anyhow.
    If someone would have said she's a brand new build, I could have believed that!
  16. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I took the outriggers off and they are in storage. They are never used where I am and it is harder to get from cockpit to bow when they are installed. They narrow an already narrow walking path trying to get around them. I didn’t see any reason to drag them around with me.
    Yes, those are rod holders on the bow. We use them when we are bottom fishing. If we fish the max 6 rods I like to spread the bait and helps prevent tangle ups when current pushes lines around.
  17. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

No, I don't have the trials report yet :rolleyes::rolleyes: . But we did light off both of the new Northern Lights Gens yesterday afternoon. They fired right up and ran very smooth and quiet. My project lead reported that the 9kw is quieter than our old 8 kw even with the enclosure panels off! Put light loads on each with no issues. More run time today with heavy loads to verify all. Potable water system filled, primed and back-up and running. Diesel fired boiler system back-up and running. Testing, testing, testing.

I know, nobody else cares about any of this and only wants the trials report:D But hey, the engines can run great and it wouldn't matter without all the other systems too so it is all important from my perspective.
  18. Donzi 54

Donzi 54 Member

Nice to hear she is coming back to life.
  19. leeky

leeky Senior Member

While I am nobody, I really like all of the details that you and others provide for your projects. Keep the details coming, please.
  20. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

+1