Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

repower for 1969 46 MY

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by q240z, Dec 18, 2007.

1. q240z

q240z New Member

That's a fine looking vessel, but for some reason I'm not seeing the typical hallmarks of "planing" in any of those pix. It looks to my eyes like a semi-displacement hull moving through the water at around or slightly above hull speed, which, for a 65 footer, comes out to somewhere slightly less than 11kts. Hell, I can barely plane on waterskis at 11kts! lol

I won't argue the point--if you feel your 65-footer is planing at 11kts with 8v71 naturals, more power to you. That's one helluva boat.

To get back on topic though, this 46' Roamer absolutely will not plane at 11kts. I suspect, based on my experiences with other large Chris Craft yachts and after reading acellist's post and seeing his pix at 20.5mph (note the stern wake trailing the transom by several meters in the pic out the transom window, a hallmark of a boat on plane) that these Roamers *might* plane with enough power applied but the fuel burn at that speed would be ludicrous (between 16 and 20gph per engine, according to the DD fuel curves). Frankly, I'm just not in that much of a hurry to get anywhere by boat. If I've REALLY got to get somewhere quickly, I'll drive or fly. If I was a fishkiller in competitive tournaments things would be very different.

Just for conversation's sake, I suspect that the 6-71TIBs I was considering would push the boat to 24kts, at which point the boat would technically be planing. Then again, the DD fuel curves show that at that speed they'd be sucking down 24gph per engine.

It's not that I can't afford that consumption rate. I just see it as being frivolously wasteful. To each his own, I guess...
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

We may perhaps need to define planing. I did find at least one web reference that defines it this way: planing
    A boat rising slightly out of the water so that it is gliding over the water rather than plowing through it.

On my 46 Matthews that happens at between 12 and 13 knots.

<--Note the photo. She is planing. That picture was taken at more like 16 knots.
  3. q240z

q240z New Member

Kewl. What's your fuel burn at that speed?
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I'm not sure what speed you're asking about. I have never checked fuel burn statistics. I think that at 16 knots/2400 RPM'S I'm burning around 20 GPH. This past summer, I did some slow cruising at 1800 RPM'S, 9 knots, and could not even notice that the fuel gauges moved. I'm running a pair if Cat 3208ta's rated at 355 HP.
  5. q240z

q240z New Member

SeaEric, you're numbers at 2400 seem consistent with the Cat graphs on BoatDiesel. At 2000, they say you were probably burning 12gph. Cut that in half for 1800rpm. Do you tend to run at 16kts?

I talked to a USCG-trained ship inspector and marine architect here at the club this evening. He's also got a 58 Roamer, so you know his info is spot-on. lol He says "planing" is when the surface of the water at the transom remains parallel to and on the same horizontal plane as the bottom of the boat as the boat moves forward through the water. If the transom has even the slightest amount of its vertical surface submerged, you are officially not planing.

He also raised his eyebrows and took a loooooong drink from his beer when I suggested that a large motoryacht might be planing at 11kts. But that's a whole nother topic.
  6. acellist

acellist Member

The “quotes” were merely to emphasize the irony of thinking our Roamer could get up on plane. Even at WOT she never seemed to drop down to being on plane.
    To remark further on her fuel usage:
    The best fuel economy we saw was made traveling down-river on the Mississippi.
    While we had made c12.5 mph at 1500 to 1600 rpm on the lakes and the Illinois River System, she picked up to c17.5 mph for the same rpm settings on much of the Mississippi. We covered 296 miles from Grafton, IL to Golconda, IL on 310 gallons of diesel (78 miles of that was going up the Ohio River). Still, that was 0.95 mpg, just 79.5 yards short of a mile. Going up the Ohio our fuel usage averaged out to more or less 4/5ths of a mile per gallon for the other 903 miles to Pittsburgh. If you subtract the 78 miles up the Ohio at 4/5ths mpg, then we were getting on the order of 1.0287 mpg down the Mississippi or 5431.5 feet per gallon (more than 1 mpg yet less than 1 nmpg.) Still, that's just adding the flow of the river. Otherwise we never came close to a mile per gallon when refueling after any leg of the trip. When all is said and done it sounds as if still water boating on our Roamer comes to something nearer to 9/10ths mpg, if you could find such a place. Ain't it fun?
    When I finally can download the data from our trip record on the GPS, perhaps all this will come into sharper focus. If anything is wildly different from my calculations; I’ll pass it on.
    In the mean time all that is based solely on our running log entries.

The first time I saw a PT Boat was for real, it was spring of 1943, and we encountered a PT boat roaring up the Elizabeth River towards the Norfolk Navy Yard in Portsmouth, VA. It had a huge open shark’s mouth painted around the front, was really plowing up the water, and was throwing off a wake four or five feet deep. I almost wished she had been up on plane. My Grandfather passed her port-to-port and we dropped over that first wave then nosed up through the second one in our 28-foot cruiser. I don’t know how fast she was moving, but I barely had time to hurry through the cabin and secure the two front windows before we hit her wake.

I don’t have the feeling that our 46' Roamer was designed with being on plane in mind… but then what do I know, I’m a high school drop-out anyway!
    The following slingshots were made shortly before we got underway when we had her lifted to clean the bottom and install a new depth sounder/fish finder:

Attached Files:

7. q240z

q240z New Member

Inspirational pix there, acellist. Now I'm all revved up to get down to the boat tomorrow!
  8. artwork

artwork Member

Definition of planing speed

Here I go again (remember, I'm the long winded guy). I just had to chime in here regarding this "are we planing or not" conversation.

I was taught the simple test for being "on plane" is when the bow comes back down. If it just rises, you are plowing = least efficient use of fuel. Then by definitiuon that I've read over the years: planing = "the speed at which a boat climbs onto it's bow wave and leaves it's stern wave behind". This concurs with the the beer drinking conversation "when the water leaves the transom cleanly" and I believe that is when the bow drops over that 'hump'. The idea that "to lift the boat" defines planing is not the whole story.

So I scoured Dave Gerr's book 'The Nature of Boats' and found some interesting calculations. The beginning point of planing can be calculated using the waterline length. The longer the boat, the higher the speed needed to plane. Multiply the sq root of the LWL by a 'speed to length' ratio factor to get the speed at which you 'start planing'. Those factors are 2.5 - 2.7 for flat bottomed, 2.7 - 3.0 for shallow V to modified V, and 2.9 -3.1 for deep V and Heavy V bottom cruisers.

Presuming our Roamer 46 is at least a mod V and at worst a heavy cruiser, let's use 2.8 x 6.4 (guessing LWL= 41) = 17.9 knots to begin 'to plane' (19.84kt if it's a heavy cruiser). There is another chart to determine the HP needed to do that based on power to weight ratio. But he warns against using the manufacturer's advertised weight

This is a very interesting book written by the naval architect who heads the Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology (AYBC's training school). I've met him a couple times and he really tries to make all this techinical stuff interesting. The book is worth having on your shelf.
  9. q240z

q240z New Member

I don't need no stinkin' books when I've got you around. lol

I was tempted to get into the whole SLR thing yesterday but decided against it. I had always heard that SLR somewhere around 2.5-3 was where planing begins, which is pretty close to what Gerr's book says.

OH! Another issue to consider: how much do these beasts, in fact, weigh? acellist, what did your tub tip the scales at when you had it hauled?
  10. acellist

acellist Member

q240z, in answer to your question about weight, after having waited for three weeks while watching green "boat mechanics and electricians" scratching their heads as they wondered "what to do" at $60. per, my primary interest was getting underway!
    Sorry, I can't help with that one.
    I'll measure the LWL tomorrow, but I don't think it is more than three feet less than the overall.
    However, in the meantime, here's a site with some interesting formulas:
    http://powerboat.about.com/od/hulls/a/displacement.htm
  11. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

quoting http://www.olsenmarine.com/info.htm -

"AN INTRODUCTION TO THE HUCKINS GURNET 36
    by Olsen Marine

First and foremost, the Gurnet is light, seaworthy, fast and efficient Twin engines provide maneuverability, safety and high speed. Located at the transom, the engines are quiet, easily accessed, yet out of the way. With standard power, the boat begins to plane at 8 knots, has fully planing cruising speeds from twelve knots to twenty-six, and a top speed of about twenty-eight knots.

The hull has a warped Quadraconic bottom providing a soft ride over a wide range of speeds, with better stability at displacement speeds and at rest than a deep v-bottom. Full bow sections provide superb buoyancy, with plenty of room below decks. The hull has good freeboard, allowing room and security for passengers. Carefully designed chines minimize spray. A well-designed superstructure protects the operator and passengers from the elements, yet affords excellent visibility. Since the boat planes easily, there is little change in running angle as speed increases resulting in no visibility problems. Trim tabs are not necessary. Because the boat is designed and built to be light, relatively little power is needed to achieve a given speed making the boat economical to run."

Assuming even the best number put forth by Gerr and a 34' LWL, that boat shouldn't even approach planing until 14.5kts. And yet it's at least partially planing at 8, and fully planing cruising speed at 12! Fabrications? Or are all Huckins advocates insane?

It's probably wasted keystrokes to even get into the discussion further because it really takes an trip aboard one to dispel the doubts of the naysayers and prove that it's more than a crackpot claim, so I'll stop now.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

No doubt this will get a bite or two.

If ya stick to large displacement moderate speed diesels and the vessels they are suited to the foregoing thread is a non starter.

(Mods - If I have tipped a few pink gins during the keyboard frenzy please feel free to delete my possible inflammatory comments) We do not after all want those wooden boats to spontaneously combust at their Owners/Admirers reaction.
  13. q240z

q240z New Member

Seafarer, I'm sure there's a Huckins forum somewhere and I'm sure there are lots of people there who care about them. I'm repowering a 46' Roamer and am pretty tightly focused on gettin' 'er done. That's why the title of this thread is repower for 1969 46 MY. Please take no offense, but I personally don't care if Hucksters can levitate, generate free energy, and/or turn water into wine unless somehow one of those properties will get my new love repowered, repainted, and splashed by next fall.

And while I'm at it, also quoting http://www.olsenmarine.com/ :

We Are The Licensed Builder Of The Gurnet 36
    Huckins Design by Olsen Marine

Man, have I got a bridge to sell ya... lol

K1W1, don't mess with God's hull material. It'll come back to haunt ya! lol

But talk to me about those large, moderately slow diesels relative to 1.5" shafts and 4" ID, perfectly straight exhaust tubes that are welded in from the transom to the engine room in these aluminium Roamers. I'm still trying to find somebody who'll put their reputation on the line and explain to me how 300 diesel HP can fit through those pipes. From acellist's post, it looks like the shafts can handle up to 320 Detroit HP, but Chris Craft speced out 6" tubes in the boats that came diesel-powered.
  14. acellist

acellist Member

Lwl

q240z, I measured the LWL today and it seems to be 42'. Then I returned home and used some of the formulas offered in this forum and here are the results:
    46' Roamer
    LWL = 42 feet
    Sq root = 6.4807406984

Maximum Hull speed:
    8.6841925359 Knots = 9.9868214163 MPH

Speed necessary to plane:
    Knots MPH
    X2.8 = 18.1460739555 = 20.8679850488
    X2.9 = 18.7941480254 = 21.6132702292
    X3.0 = 19.4422220952 = 22.3585554095
    X3.1 = 20.0902961651 = 23.1038405899

Frankly speaking, I'm of the same mind as artwork.
    It doesn't feel like planing until that final drop into position.
    Even proceeding down river with 1.5 mph river flow helping to boost speed it
    wasn't enough to accomplish the drop.
    While the trim tabs lowered the bow enough to see well, I always felt that they were just holding her "almost there" and that was it.
    During the sea trial in 2005 the GPS was showing her top speed as 20 mph on the basically still waters of Lake St Clair.
  15. q240z

q240z New Member

Crikey!

I swear, I wasn't intentionally looking for diesel-electric hybrid power for this Roamer! It just jumped off the internet and grabbed ahold of me! lol Throw a solar farm on the salon and aft deck enclosure roofs and you could do dead-quiet running at hull speed with ZERO fossil fuel consumption!!!

There's just too much information out there. lol
  16. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

17. q240z

q240z New Member

Thanks for the lead.

The deal is, I already know of a set of 671TIBs w/gears that I can pick up for $2500. The set needs one cylinder resleeved on one engine and a head on the other. I'm just not so sure that Detroit power is what we want. Then again, with QSBs costing $50k+ just for the engines and gears...

Too many choices. lol
  18. q240z

q240z New Member

This is a done deal. Our Roamer will be repowered with 120hp Lehmans. I picked up the set yesterday with Twin Disk 2:1 gears for $4,500. They run great, and will easily push us through the water at the speed we normally travel at in our current 52 Connie (i.e. 8kts or so) and sip about 3-4gph doing it. They're also a LOT quieter than the Detroits, though of course not as quiet as modern diesels. Then again, at 10% of the price of modern diesels, who can complain? lol

I know...the purists will say that a planing hull should be able to plane. But since I never go that fast anyway and diesel is now at $4/gal at the local fuel dock. The way I figure it, reasonable power and excellent efficiency in a dirt cheap, well supported package wins the day. They also *only* weigh 1550# or so each with gears, which is about half of a Detroit. Heck, they're 400# lighter than the gassers that came out of this boat.

I just realized...I'm a Ford guy.

[​IMG]

Check this out: no oil leaks. Coming from a long line of Detroit-powered boats, this might take some getting used to. Or not. Gotta repaint, though. Any color suggestions? DD green would look the most natural to me.1

[​IMG]