Click for MotorCheck Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Rebuild of classic 1961 62ft FEADSHIP "Alto Volante"

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by david_japp, Sep 19, 2012.

1. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

thank you...and yes, I will post the build/rebuild of the tender but may not start the work for a while yet as Im still uncertain what I want her to look like .

As for Tiky, she still has quite a lot of stuff to complete - the work-list currently consists of over 80 items. The main items are a "horseshoe" seat around the taffrail and internally, she still has to have her upholstery finished and fitted. she is generally upside down with locker doors off and sole panels up while the various domestic systems are wired up and commissioned.

I'll be taking more pics whens she's finally completed which i hope will be by the end of May, following which (assuming sea-trials go ok) she goes to the the Mediterranean, either on her own bottom or possibly on a 7 Star freighter from Southampton as far as Gibraltar
  2. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

REBUILD OF CLASSIC 1961 62FT FEADSHIP "TIKY (ex ALTO VOLANTE)

TIKY is almost finished (are they ever finished?) in that she leaves Ipswich tonight for Southampton, where she will be lifted on to a Sevenstar transporter and taken by sea to Gibraltar. where she is due to be offloaded in approx 5 days time. I will then join her there with a delivery crew and take her to Imperia.

here are a few photos of her exterior

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  3. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

REBUILD OF CLASSIC 1961 62FT FEADSHIP "TIKY (ex ALTO VOLANTE)

and some pics of her interior

Attached Files:

4. carelm

carelm Senior Member

David,

Like other members of the forum, I have been following your restoration and you did a fantastic job. She is really quite beautiful and elegant. Thinking out of the box for your next project, how about a Jaguar 3.8 MK II to complement the Feadship?:D Your woodworking skills will come in quite handy for this as well.
  5. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

RESTORATION OF VINTAGE 62ft FEADSHIP TIKY

sadly my woodworking skills didn't get used on this project but I do like the idea of a jaguar restoration project when /if my bank manager allow it!
    regards
    David
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

David, She is absolutely stunning. Bravo!
  7. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

TIKY vintage Feadship 62ft

thank you for your kind words - Its been a long journey ...
  8. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

I think Eric said it best. She is definitlely gorgeous. It has been great to follow your journey and see what it has resulted in. Enjoy her.
  9. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

She is indeed a beauty inside and out. Best wishes for many years of enjoyment on this classic.
  10. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

VINTAGE 62ft FEADSHIP TIKY

Thanks - just checked ShipFinder and I'm very pleased to see her making good headway from Ipswich down to Southampton where she will be loaded on to a freighter tomorrow. Skipper reports all systems are running smoothly, except the autopilot which needs a board replaced and for which the yard are sending an electrician to Southampton to fix tomorrow ...fingers crossed
  11. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

TIKY 62ft 1961 FEADSHIP ARRIVED IN GIBRALTAR

TIKY arrived safely in Gib. Michael Harrison the Gardner engineer is attending to check all is ok with engines before she leaves midweek for NW Italy via Balearics. In think the Mediterranean sunshine kinda suits her after her 5 years in the UK

Attached Files:

12. Petr

Petr New Member

Hi David,

just finished reading the whole thread. Amazing project and what a stunning classic you rebuilt, well done! Fantastic job, tastefully done.

Maybe I'll see you on the water. ;-)
    Petr
  13. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

thanks Petr...where are you in Med?
    best
    D
  14. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Vintage powerboat

15. Aeronca7

Aeronca7 New Member

David, As a new member of this forum ( a couple of days) I have just finished your thread resulting in the highest admiration for your work on Tiki. Your years my interest has been in aviation and I have rebuilt and collected older general aviation airplanes. I think that allows me to say that I understand when you say it is about the process. What an incredible read and I wish your family the very best as you enjoy your project for the next couple of years. Very best to you.
  16. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

That's so nice of you to reach out...it's been quite struggle emotionally and financially but it has been been a worthwhile and eventually a satisfying project that I hope to use and enjoy for a few years to come ... Just found another project in Gibraltar but I think it'll have to wait till my lottery ticket comes up! Funnily enough I've always hankered after restoring an old flying boat but I suspect that will be in another life.....
    Best
    David
  17. Aeronca7

Aeronca7 New Member

David, I found your next project. 65' Feadship In Washington. 1963 model. An $8,00,000 refit in 1993. Asking $285,000. Sounds like it may be just a fit for you.

Of course, I'm jesting a bit. However, it would be of some interest to see what you think of the old girl.
  18. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

pureley out of curiosity (promise) please can you send me the link ?
    thx
    D
  19. SFS

SFS Senior Member

This made me smile.
  20. Aeronca7

Aeronca7 New Member

David, The 1967, 65' Feadship shows up in the listing of Denison Yachts. I have watched it for a month or so. I can get to it with a Google search "Feadship Denison" Let me know if you can't locate it. Best to you. Doug