Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Westport

Question about 2007 47' Grand Banks

Discussion in 'Grand Banks Yacht' started by bobhorn, Sep 20, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

I hope I didn't give the impression that I would want to or even be able to buy that boat. Just curious about some things because it sat there right in front of us.

Actually we've been trying to sell our 38' Present and get back into a sailboat. The idea of having to make plans based on the amount of fuel on board just doesn't sit well with us. Returning from FL to TX one time we just headed out of Clearwater and came straight across, no worries. Like I said, different strokes and all that.

I still enjoy the forum and keeping up with what other people do.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

No one said a thing about "paying retail". I might also acquaint you with Ronda Rousey since you want to use a boxing metaphor.

As to plenty of boats available, there are not on some models. Look at Sunseeker models in the US. A bit of the same with Riva. Many of those boats go quickly.

I negotiate strong, but not long. When I buy a car I know what I'll pay. You don't meet my price, I already know the next dealer I'm headed to. We bought our home here at 28% off the original quoted price. I've negotiated a lot of deals in my business life and I do it straightforward and without games. If I tell you something as part of a negotiation, I mean it. On the house it was "we'll sign the contract right now for this price. Otherwise we may still buy it but we're going to look at more houses starting tomorrow and will not come back to it until we've looked at all on our list.

Our home in NC, we paid $230k for. Made a deal the day we made an offer. We spent $35k remodeling and finishing the basement. We sold it the day we listed it in the down market of 2012 for $449,900.

Right now there are many boats in short demand on the used market. Trawler brokers are begging for listings.

I've watched houses and boats that stay on the market for years. The only thing I learned was what I knew to start with. They weren't worth what was being asked. Then I've seen boats that had three offers on their first weekend on the market and sold immediately. What did I learn then? What I already knew that they were quality boats of a model that was short in supply.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Would love to be acquainted with Rhonda. Seems like an outstanding woman in so many ways. Today's news story was funny.:D

We operate much the same, although where we'll run from one car dealer to another and another in a day, boats take longer because you have to travel around the country. I think it's a matter of semantics. The goal is to get what you want at the best deal possible. To me it's a game, because it's fun. Others might call it business and others call it work. Some just pay whatever they're asked to pay without negotiating at all. I enjoy negotiating.

Of course it's a matter of supply and demand. The more specific you are about what you must have, the worse your negotiating position. In 2006 you bought on the spot. In 2009 you could do a lot of looking. Today it depends on what you're looking at.