Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Proteksan & Turquoise Superyacht "Yogi" Sinks!

Discussion in 'Turquoise Yacht' started by discokachina, Feb 17, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Thank you for the ongoing effort. I think I should just satisfy with reading and private messaging when I have something to add to this thread.

Cheers.
  2. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

3ala2

As has been said above, the members of this forum, especially the senior members, are all very experienced and have a lot to share. With one or two exceptions, whom we humour and tolerate, all are open and honest in their dealings with YF. When someone joins who appears to be less so, then barriers are raised and questions asked. A more open approach on your part might bring better results.

BTW. I was curious about you screen name and Googled it. Perhaps it's not a good choice of nomenclature if you wish to inspire confidence?
  3. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

And speaking of speculation ... you are ruling out Capt. J's hypothesis about a day tank issue by speculating that the large day tank was full enough to supply sufficient fuel for the planned voyage. What if it wasn't?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There is very little comparison between CaptJ's experiences on a boat that was probably early 80's or earlier vintage and a classed 60m commercial charter yacht in regards to the day tanks.

The fact that a vessel stops somewhere enroute could be as simple as not wanting to transit a tricky section in the dark or not wanting to arrive somewhere too early to dock etc.

It could also be to examine a problem and effect temporary repairs, it does seem a little strange of this were the case that things should fall apart to the extent where a mayday was issued a couple of hours after getting underway.

The speed stated earlier as coming from AIS is well within what I would say that boat could have done running on one engine.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Some of the newer classed 50m+ yachts do not have a day tank you could run 24 hours on either. It depends on the build. Another thing I thought of, is if they just came out of the yard, they were probably light on fuel so the vessel wasn't so heavy when it was taken out of the water. Who knows what really went on.......I've seen crew forget to do all kinds of stuff over the years. Some of it a simple task, that could turn serious if not done.

What I find really really strange. Is that the initial mayday was called, and 7 hours later the boat is still floating. Usually you call a mayday after all options have been exhausted, and there is no other option. Its not like the vessel was 1000 NM from land where it would take a day or more for help to arrive and one would put out an early mayday.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That is not really unusual. It is far easier to cancel a mayday than to wish you had broadcast one after it is too late.

As far as the boat still floating, it is also not unusual for a vessel to assume an "angle of loll" and remain floating with a severe list for days or even weeks. It appears that the flooding was reduced enough by crew actions or pure luck and geometry that the end was delayed longer than anyone predicted.
  7. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Press Statement from Proteksan & Turquoise on March 1, 2012

8. Mike448

Mike448 Member

Wow, the owners / crew / insurance sure do know how to attract attention to them selves :confused:
  9. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Why do you say that? As I said before it looks like the owner and insurance are perhaps "teamed" and for now keeping the yard away... perhaps it is part of some sort of settlement in which they (owners) will later help the insurance recoup some payout by going against the builder?

who knows...

But keeping low and just "not commenting", isnt a way of attracting attention Mike, no matter how much we wish to get them out of their comfort zone and have them share a bit of what happened on that eventful night, i'm pretty sure they dont care how we feel, and as i said, not saying anything *is* the best way to let it die... it has pretty much (even though it was on a LOT of news sites the day it happened)... If the owners were also commenting and releasing news all the time, surely some of those would have continued with updates...

Way it looks to me is the yard is in the dark, possibly due to reasons above, and is trying to keep their side of the story being heard, and trying to make a little noise so ppl realize they arent admitting any blame, etc... also by saying what they are they imply guilt on other parts...
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I believe it is much more likely that the owners do not want the yard to find out exactly what happened. It is highly unlikely that a structural or design failure that would lead to this type of sinking would remain undercover so long.

If there was some mechanical failure that the crew could not deal with it is in the overall interest of the industry to learn what it was in order to protect other vessels and crews. If the crew is a victim of design or construction failure we would be deafened by the outrage and clamor for change. The silence speaks volumes.

I believe, and I am far from alone, that we have another "Lady Candida" in the works. While there is a great deal for all involved to gain from describing the circumstances of a technical failure, the firewall put up by owner and crew points toward a "softer" reason for this bizarre sinking.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

.........Shiralee, Miss Turnberry, Nadine, Yogi...Just another thread in the rich tapestry of life of the rich and infamous.
  12. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

What is actually known about the exact location where Yogi went down? How deep is it? How far away from shore? Could Yogi be recovered? Is it possible to take pictures of her (and I do not mean renting Navy class subs)? Is the location of sinking "watched"/"marked"?
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Very little is known as to exact location , depth or how it lay's on the bottom, it might have drifted some after submerging.

No one posting here knows for sure.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Looking at bottom profiles of the general area described in the reports, the bottom in that area appears to be around 500m to 750m. That is well within the range of small manned submersibles and ROVs. I would be very surprised if the underwriters, flag, and/or the builders don't contract for a video survey at the very least.
  15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Well, it looks like the 9th has come and gone so we are into the "or later" part of Proteksan's hopes to interview the crew.

The silence is deafening.
  16. carelm

carelm Senior Member

My guess is that they got lawyered up. From now on, only the suits will do the talking.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

I have asked a few folks I know who were forthcoming with "inside info" after it happened.

I have had better replies from dead relatives recently.

It seems the whole thing is shut as tight as a fishes arse - Watertight.
  18. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"... they got lawyered up." That is the real shame in this affair.

Class and flag have an obligation to owners, crew, and charter "guests" to prevent incidents like this from occurring in the first place. And when they do, to prevent them becoming real tragedies.

By burying the facts behind the sinking - facts, not blame or some derived root cause - but the sequence of factual events known by those directly involved, Class and Flag are failing miserably in their mandate to enhance maritime safety.

Only when it involves a yacht do Flag and Class maintain such silence after a sinking or fire. When a ship or other boat suffers a similar fate the circumstances are widely published as soon as they are confirmed. The final accident report and findings take much longer of course but the immediate facts concerning the accident are not witheld from those who might gain a safety benefit from that information.

If there was a mechanical failure, the builder and other opertors of similarly equipped vessels need to know. If it was due to inadequate crew training or lack of familiarization or knowledge, or competence then Flag has to make those issues known to those who train and evaluate crew performance.

When the family of an UHNW individual is lost under circumstances similar to any of the growing list of shadowy yacht accidents and the press finally connects the dots, our industry will suffer. Maybe we will have earned it because none of us demand the oversight and information we pay for when we register a boat or undergo a periodic survey.
  19. carelm

carelm Senior Member

I would agree with you on this. However, when you are talking about a case in which somewhere north of $100M is involved (the cost of the yacht, damages sought, lawyer fees and the like) the actual truth may not come out. Maybe what the industry needs is an accident investigation organization similar to what the FAA does, but done on an international scale.
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If there is an aircraft accident that is not in the US or involving a US Aircraft does the FAA still stick it's nose in?

The Red Ensign countries can rely on the Marine Accident Investigation Branch to carry out investigations. They do not apportion blame just lay out the facts that led to the accident/casualty.

Marine Accident Investigation: Home
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.