Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Comfort Click for MotorCheck Click for Glendinning

Outer Reef Yachts opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by cabobo09, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

What says the group about Outer Reef Yachts?
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I attended the delivery/christening ceremony of the first Outer Reef 65' at the Palm Beach Boat Show, circa 2006-2007 (can't recall the exact year). The boat had been purchased by a very nice husband & wife team. About a week ago, I met them again at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart and we spoke briefly. He told me the OR had been a good boat with no serious problems. He cruises it back & forth to the NorthEast each year and I think he said he's put around 2000 hours on it. I didn't go onboard the boat, but the exterior has held up well.

From a YF perspective, I sent two different buyers to Outer Reef about 5 years ago. I've seen Jeff Druek, the owner of OR, once or twice since and never received so much as a thank you. Since then, I've directed interest towards other brands.
  3. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

Are you sure he knows that you're the one who sent them?
  4. Capt Buddy

Capt Buddy Member

Makes sense now (yachtforums), Ive asked the question twice now on this forum( the dead outrreef section) just to come to a dead end. a customer of mine is thinking of stepping up from a 65 flemming to a 70-80' trawler. We have looked at 2 80s and a 70 something Outerreef, all 3 were better then anticipated, no sea trial though. The outerreef has the best lines imo of any trawler m/y
  5. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

FWIW, I spent time aboard the OR's at the Miami show - Jeff was my guide- and was very impressed - better layout than either Fleming or Marlow.
  6. YachtForums

I worked closely with his assistant Stephanie at the time. In addition to referring a couple of buyers to them, we also wrote a review on the 73' Outer Reef that still tops a Google search today. It has been a useful sales tool for Druek. To date, the review has received over 22,000 views. It would be MUCH, MUCH higher, except I delisted and removed OR from YF for about 2 years, after their sales manager made promotional posts. I reinstated their listings and forums at the beginning of this year, but one more time, one of their sales people attempted to use YF to solicit a buyer, so Outer Reef has been banned.
  7. rudolph

rudolph New Member

Why not a new 75' Flaming !
  8. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

Fleming-Outer Bank comparison

Would be interesting to hear why a Fleming and not an Outer Reef
  9. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Fleming is an excellent boat. We looked closely at them as well.
    Cruise speed was our only issue with them. Otherwise, very nice offerings.

I would love to see Fleming reviewed at YF.
  10. Capt Buddy

Capt Buddy Member

I have run a 65 flemming extensively and cant find a flaw, the 75 i just dont care for the multiple levels on the bridge. Outer reef is just a little risky because there isnt alot of info out there, but from my walk throughs on 3 outer reefs, im impressed
  11. Capt Buddy

Capt Buddy Member

what size are you considering?
  12. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

A family friend has a late 1990's or early 2000's 50' something Fleming. His 3 grand sons or in their early teens, also cruising with son in law and daughter. He's decided to move up again. Started with Outer Reef, was also thinking Nordhavn, and even Vicem was mentioned. Now they are going back to what they originally wanted with the 50'footer purchase. Northern Marine, except this decision is based on getting an 80 footer. Exterior on the Northern Marine, is not as pretty. The major selling point is the boat deck space for them. If me, I like the built in America and NM is near Vancouver. So factory support in my back yard. Big boat deck and good range LRC with proven rough sea design. The interior layout is simular to OR, but bigger pilot house in the NM.
  13. current affair

current affair New Member

Anyone have any information on a 64 Grand Alaskan? How does it compare to the Offshore, Flemings, Outer Reef ect. Fuel economy, build, fit and finishes
  14. mfav

mfav Guest

I think you met Steve and Jayne (very nice people). I helped Steve run the boat down in the winter and back up to the Chesapeake in the spring many times. He sold the boat this past October. I will miss those trips.

Might be a little late but to the OP the boat ran very well, handled rough seas, and was a joy to run.
  15. YachtForums

In the interest of protecting our members from the sneaky, unscrupulous and clandestine tactics that plague Jeff Druek's organization, 'mfav' was just traced back to AGYC. This makes the 3rd time YF has been spammed by someone from Outer Reef, including the POS that attempted to contact several buyers through our PM system.

mfav, your membership is being removed and your IP banned, along with you address, but this thread will remain to warn others.
  16. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

When will they learn!?!?!
  17. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

No idea what the problem is between ORY and YF but what I do know is they are great boats. I own an 80, just brought her down from Georgetown, Bahamas to St Thomas and went through 36 hours of 28-35 knot winds with 8-12' seas off the bow and she never missed a beat.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.