Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for JetForums

Opinion on FB Dash - Fiberglass vs Varnished Teak

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by mliemon2, Apr 9, 2021.

1. mliemon2

mliemon2 New Member

Looking for peoples opinion, because frankly, I'm stuck.

We have a new (to us) 2008 Grand Banks EU 47 and we're putting new electronics in, so the dash on the flybridge where the monitors are now has to be rebuilt so they can re-cut. See the picture below. I was thinking of having the dash re-glassed, but realized having a piece of varnished teak that the MFD's would be mounted to instead could look sharp. Thoughts on what would look best? Any other opinions/advice?

The boat is boathouse kept, so the wear and tear on teak is there, but less of an issue. I've already spoken to the vendors, and the teak is actually cheaper.

IMG_3626.jpeg
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With teak you have other wood there you'll need to match up with, and it will require future maintenance even if generally kept under cover. Imagine revarnishing around the instruments. I also think it'll be harder and more expensive to work with when labor is included. Although I love the look of wood I don't even think it'll look as good as the clean look you have there now. My vote would be against it.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Glass and gelcoat all the way.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

5. mliemon2

mliemon2 New Member

The plan is to cut out whats there, leave a flange that either a new glass or teak panel could be mounted to.

My issue with just putting up a random piece of plastic instead of fiberglass is that the whites and texture won’t match (not a fan of black) and it’ll stick out like a sore thumb. Below is an option.... thoughts? Or would that look too cheap or fake?
    https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/m...ash-panel-60-x-24-inch-faux-woodgrain-plastic

Also, I have a ton of varnished teak on the exterior that has to be maintained (GB’s and all). A dash, especially with no joints is pretty simple to keep up on every 5 years or so, maybe longer if I used Awlwood or Awlbright.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's a GB. So no don't do it. You like the teak, go for the teak. And please post a pic when it's done. Look forward to seeing it.
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

vmatxsloak_2417939124247-2-IMG950202 (3) (640x480).jpg vmatxsloak_2417939124247-1-IMG950203.jpg This is paint w/ clear coat. I cannot seem to find the man who does it. Capt J will know , this man does it for Viking and another manufacturer. If Capt J does not chime in I will look further for the company if you are interested.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There are several people that do the faux teak painted over fiberglass, and for a dash most likely the logical choice. The people I know that do it are either in NJ, NC, or FL, but could easily ship a fiberglass piece to them to do and ship back. OP- email me if you want to go that direction and I'll look up and give you the phone numbers.