Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights

Onan 8.5 Kw

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Stainless45, Aug 13, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

Update- The old 8kw is running well. Cleaned and pressure tested the heat exchanger and it was good. Made some new end cap gaskets. Replaced the thermostat and cleaned out the housing. There is a jumper or bypass line between the thermostat and the water pump, this was completely clogged. Replaced all hoses and topped up with coolant. 6 hours of load and so far she is holding and none seems to be getting lost.
    TahoeJohn likes this.
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Excellent job!! It’s not rocket science just get it done on your own.
    Have the yard do it and they’ll tell you you need a new generator!

Love the DIYers’ here on YF.
    TahoeJohn and Stainless45 like this.
  3. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

@Stainless45 - how did you make the replacement gaskets for the Onan heat exchanger? What materials?

I recently took mine apart to fish out impeller pieces and my gasket on the starboard side is cracked and dried out. I’m not getting the same pressure as before for the water coming out with the exhaust at the transom and I’m guessing that this is the culprit. Options for gasket replacement online are pretty much limited to a replacement the heat exchanger in its entirety.
  4. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

I bought gasket material (rubber) and used a razor knife to cut circles out. It's that easy. Plus there is an o-ring that goes around the center bolt inside to seal the bolt hole.
    New impeller will make all the difference in water pressure/overheating. There's a guy on eBay selling them-
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/122564431424
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021