Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Furuno

Older vs Newer: Higher Quality?

Discussion in 'Silverton Yacht' started by DockTourJ, Sep 6, 2010.

1. DockTourJ

DockTourJ New Member

New into yachting, I have been researching the many options before making a decision upon which manufacturer to purchase given our limited budget. That limits us to used vessels. Often I have heard it said that the older boats (1970's & 80's) "was when these were really built well". So I wonder if this is true, why. Perhaps due to the difficult economy of the 1980's? Due to trying to lower prices to serve a larger market? Desire for a greater profit ratio &/or to satisfy investors?

We have settled on Siverton 40 aft cabin as a model dsign that suits us, and those built in the 1980's are becoming "reasonabale" considering what that buys in interior layout. However I have no idea about the actual quality of Siverton vs. Chris Craft or Sea Ray or whatever. I hear experienced captains state unequivocally that anything other than the name stays (Bertram, Hattaris, Viking, Albin, etc) are garbage, yet others seem to be quite satisfied with the lesser named brands, and alot of people seem to buy them.

However faced with chosing between a 1982 vs 1985 vs 1988, I haven't a clue which would be "built better". I would hate to purchase newer when in fact older might be better.

Can anyone educate me about this, particularly about the Siverton, but also generally as this would be quite an interesting education.

Thanks

Dr J
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

there are a lot of answers to what may seem to be simple question...

first, keep in mind that with most builders quality went up and down over teh years and even depending on the boat size or model. for instance, while bayliner has often been regarded as an entry level, low quality builder their large 40 to 46' boats have always been better than the rest of their line.

bottom line you really can't say brand X is junk, brand Y is best when considering some of the most common production builders like Silverton, Sea Ray, Bayliner, Carver, Cruisers, etc...

are there better builders generally speaking? yes... Bertram, Hatteras, Tiara, Viking, and a few more.

Next, keep in mind that how an older boat has been maintained, upgraded and used over the years is probably even more critical than the label on the side.

As to those who say, get a Bert or Hatr, everything else is junk... they are missing the most important point. YOU need to get the boat that suit YOUR needs... if you're going to stay in sheltered waters for casual cruisign, you dont' need a tank like an old hatteras and a well maintained silveton may be just fine for YOUR needs
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hello DockTourJ,

In selling used boats on the Chesapeake for 20+ years, we have always had good luck with the 1982 to 1990 Silverton 40. They run well, generally survey well, and are big enough to be a comfortable family cruiser.

The survey issue that does sometimes occur is wet deck core due to the bow rail stanchions leaking. So, be aware of that potential as the repair is costly. I have recently seen selling prices in the $30K to $40K range. Not many years ago, these were near $100K boats.

The main difference in the older to newer production run is the interior finish. Early boats had teak interior trim, and from 1985 on it was oak. Formica counter top colors evolved from earlier neutral tones to lots of pink in the 1986-1988 years. Carpet and soft goods can be expensive to replace on these boats because there's lots of it. Flybridge and aft deck canvas can be costly if it needs replaced too.

General construction quality seems to me to have remained decent through the production run of this series. I would encourage you to buy the best boat you can find. There's plenty of inventory to look at. Bear in mind that if a "fixer upper" is $5 to $10K cheaper than a "star", buy the better boat. You will likely not make a nice boat out of the fixer for double the difference in the initial purchase price.
  4. DockTourJ

DockTourJ New Member

Thanks for the quality and sound advice.
    Personally don't like the pink formica colors.
    ALso it appears that wet bars are on earlier models that I have seen but not on the 1988s.

Dr J
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

SeaEric is right when he says:
    But that's really not things like changing a countertop or decorating to taste. There are some very good Silvertons around from those times. Pick the best; not a project boat.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Amen to that.
    About 12 or 14 yrs ago two of my friends bought unfinished hulls from the Torres company.
    They wanted me to join them. It was tempting to buy the hull and finish it myself with engines of my choosing and interior of my own making but I declined.

Instead I bought a nice used sport fish that I could afford and have been enjoying the crap out of it for that period of time.

One of the hulls above was finally finished about two years ago.
    The second friend has yet to complete his hull.

Meanwhile, I'm still playing with my boat and still married to my wife not my hull.