Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

Oily film out of exhaust

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by ShionMcIntosh, Dec 30, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Gabe anderson

Gabe anderson New Member

That is exactly what my buddies said.ill try and post some pictures. Hoping to get out Sunday. We have some pretty good storms coming thru this weekend. I'm not sure how in could be Tran fluid because I just have shafts that go to propellers.all of those seals were done a year ago.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You have fluid coolers. On a gas Crusader, located in that big, ridged, U shape thing, front-right of your engine.
    th-3694656596.jpeg
  3. Gabe anderson

Gabe anderson New Member

Thank you. I'll have a look in the morning.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If your not in the routine, start sending you oils and fluids to a lab. The essayist is the Cat SOS lab kits.
    This will help if any water is getting back into the systems plus many other test points.

If your over fueling, the oil analyses will show this also.
  5. Gabe anderson

Gabe anderson New Member

Sure enough I beleave it is coolant. Found some under the fluid cooler. I'm gonna guess the anoids. Says to replace every 30 days I never have. The fluid I think was coming from UNDER the boat where the fresh water comes in. Thanks for the tip. Another project.
  6. Gabe anderson

Gabe anderson New Member

Anoids prob don't make sense. Problem must be one of the hoses. Hose coming from water intake looks like it's seen better days. Ran finger on connections but we're all dry. If coolent is back flowing thru that hose does that mean that IM hosed?????????
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your in light (fresh) water. Anoids (zincs) are usually not an issue. These are usually on the raw water side of water flow.
    No zincs on the coolant side.
    Coolant leek???? still possible if pumped over from your bilge pump but not from a zinc leak.
  8. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

On my Hatt with cat C15's the issue was fuel injectors. One or two weren't properly metering the fuel at idle. So after docking there was remnant fuel in the exhaust and mufflers that weeped out for several hours as she sat. Pulled the injectors, had them all serviced, reinstalled, problem gone.

I know apples and oranges.
  9. Gabe anderson

Gabe anderson New Member

Anoids prob don't make sense. Problem must be one of the hoses. Hose coming from water intake to motor somewhere? I dipped a rag in the leaked out coolent in the engine compartment and dipped in the water sheen I been seeing. I'm hoping not a head gasket but that would be part for the course with my boating life. Last 4th of July I watched from the beach. Next week have the Blue Angels coming to town for cherry festival. I'm grateful I have my back up boat (that I can't sell anyway) were up in Traverse city. Lake Michigan a winner ya ever get the chance