Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay

Nordhavn Expedition Yacht Fish 75 Sinks?

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by BobbyK, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Captevan,

You must have seen the Volvo with the strainer on the suction side in the conference center as the one on display at the brokerage show had it on the pressure side and when I asked the guy he kind of huffed and puffed but then admitted that the newer models came with the a metal top and were on the suction side.

Capt. Bill11,

I think it was CaptJ who advocated the use of a large pump, large pump or small pump with shore or genset power would obviously make no difference to the battery bank, I was saying that if you lost the AC power then there would be a problem. Also why have an over size pump for every day use, they had the hydraulic one for emergency's but as they had limited alarms, external audio & visual they being ashore had no way of knowing the boat was flooding.

I say a big flashig light, loud alarm, an alert system thru' your phone and regular testing of the whole system would be the way to go. I was on a 160 footer at the show and actually took a photo of the board in the engine room that showed the dates of the last test of the bilge & fire pumps.
  2. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

She floats again

The Nordhavn 75 is floating again in her slip but nobody has been aboard. She looks like nothing ever happened from the outside but inside.......another situation. I believe she was towed back to her slip.
  3. Double Z

Double Z New Member

There was also a comment on the Nordy Dreamers stating there was no litigation pending or otherwise on the other 75.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

As I have a few facts that indicate otherwise I would have to view that statement as an attempt to pass a cloudy substance past my sphincter to put it mildly.
  5. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Having a high water alarm only makes sense if it sounds the alert externally unless the boat is always attended which isn't always the case.
    I rewired an older wooden planked head boat years ago and tied it into the air horns. This boat absolutely needed bilge pumps to remain afloat she leaked so badly. One evening as the horn was blaring, the captain arrived grumbling about being disturbed during dinner. As he got off the boat he told me he "fixed" that and cut the horn wires!!! Her keel was in the mud the next morning (and he was out of a job). Shows you can't make everything idiot-proof!
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That walks the line between negligence and sabatoge, but he told you and you ok'd it. :confused: BTW, cutting the alarm doesn't stop the pumps from working. Ever consider adding more powerful pumps and dropping the boat into some sawdust?
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

if you gotta drop sawdust everytime you return to the slip, then you either need a saw mill or some bottom work done.........
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yup! I was going to suggest putting it on blocks and fixing it, but I figured they considered that and decided against that for some reason. Making the bilge alarm louder doesn't cure the problem, and eventually it will sound when nobody is around. Hate boats that want to sink.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, it did not. However, having the automatic bilge pumping capacity that is less then most 25' center consoles come from the factory with in a 75' Expedition yacht certainly did not help.
  10. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

Was going by this info and the not installed by Nordhavn tuna tubes being the main reason for water coming in.:

11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

When traveling on the high seas, there will always be large pieces of floating or submerged debris, and there will always be accidents with the debris. A lot of times, people don't realize how much water is in the bilge until it is too late. In 10' seas would you really notice the boat feeling a bit heavy or a bit less stable if you had a 1' of water sloshing around in the engine room? Probably not.

You could use a Beckson handpump on most modern yachts and have no bilge pumps, and pump out the entire boat in 5 gallon buckets in minutes and have no electric bilge pumps. They're there in case you have an emergency and need them. For what it would cost to have large automatic pumps throughout the vessel, it would have been well worth it. Rarely do yachts sink because the owner wanted it to sink.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Only thing keeping a lot of owners from pulling the plug these days is how many got caught during the last recession (early 90's). They hauled up one boat in LI Sound from something like 180'. The good doctor lost his license and got some very serious jail time.
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

To all concerned,

YachtForums has always been about educating yacht buyers and cruising members that log-on for the purposes of edification and camaraderie. The internet has given all of us the ability to learn and share so that we can make better educated decisions. We encourage members to present their opinions, but they must be substantiated.

Occasionally, we come across a disgruntled owner and sometimes the complaints are valid, sometimes not. If our members can address specific building issues and the end result is that YachtForums has helped raise the bar on safety and responsibility, then the value of our collective knowledge becomes far more than informational; it brings about positive change.

On November 7th, 2010, I added Nordhavn's domain extension to our ban list after we discovered that several PAE employees had been operating in a clandestine nature to promote Nordhavn on YachtForums. We take serious exception with manufacturers that pose as independent 3rd parties, attempting to sway popular opinion. We believe it’s important to maintain the integrity of our medium and it brings into question Nordhavn’s participation on other forums. We will not allow YF to be adulterated by those with commercial or vested intentions.

Over the past couple of years, we’ve heard rumblings of unhappy Nordhavn owners. Nordhavn has never been a part of our community and we’ve never had much communication with them, therefore we never felt obligated to alert them and we simply were not willing to publish sporadic complaints.

One of our only direct contacts with Nordhavn was when YachtForums was going to write a review on the Nordhavn EYF 75 “Martha E” during FLIBS in 2009, but we were stopped short of boarding the boat. The captain was denying access to any media and was incensed due to the owner's dissatisfaction with the yacht. This was not our concern, so we moved on.

The sinking of the N-75 EYF #2 brought to light new questions on Feb 21st and the discussion on YF took a life of its own. Due to this thread, YachtForums is in receipt of several owner complaints, including court documents. We have found ourselves in the middle of something that is none of our business and we are feeling threatened. We have absolutely no interest in becoming further involved, therefore the thread is being closed.

Attorney Mark Polland’s post was in violation of our rules regarding solicitation and it is being removed, along with any pertinent posts. Let’s move on and talk about other boats, of which there are many other choices to explore…
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.