Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta

Nordhavn 63' Review

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by diesel one, Aug 7, 2011.

1. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Humm------2 staterooms, a couch that will get dirty sitting next to the galley counter, tight passageways, bunks that are hard to make (been there done that right Gunny??), minimal red lighting--from the photos--on the ladders and the overheads, tight galley, seems to be an unusual guest stateroom--need to re-read and study the drawings more...........

Why 5 tons of ballast? Seems a bit much.

Need to re-read a few times.
  2. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

I think I read "optional" 3 staterooms on the main deck plus the crews cabin aft of the bridge, this particular one that was reviewed apparently has 2 main deck cabins plus a crews cabin up top.

plenty of yachts have a sofa right next to the galley sofa

You sure you do not like Nordhavns. Why not ask how many bilge pumps and what size they are or how many live wells.

or why not ask why it is for sale ?

Interesting....:rolleyes:
  3. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

You tell him, dude! He's irritating my Nordie blind spot......
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I thought it was a hell of a review, and what looks like a heck of a boat from a known performer.
  5. Capt Buddy

Capt Buddy Member

6. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Nordhavn originally created the 72 model as a wheelhouse forward (or center if you will) similar to the N47. That's the photo you see. When there was demand for the aft-house design, they offered that as well. For both wheelhouse locations, they also offer the ability to stretch the hull 4 feet for a 76 foot model and offer single or twin engines using plugs for the hull. That also changes the dry exhaust as standard for a single to wet exhaust for the twin models. I don't believe the forward-house style has sold anywhere as well as the aft-house design. The original N62 created a much favored look for Nordhavn.
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

First of all, nice review, Judy, and it it appears to be a classy-looking boat.

Along with diesel one, just some observations & opinions:

It is, like other larger Nordys, somewhat chopped up in accommodations. I mean, two whole staterooms in a 63-footer? Yes, I read of the 3rd S/R option. Wishful thinking and this owner opted out for good reason.

In my experience, most boats of this ilk will be owner-operated by a husband & wife crew, so the F/B bunkroom makes sense for swapping watches. But the shower stall is, IMO, a waste of space. Either a hired hand or the owners could easily use the VIP head shower, freeing up more room for more upstairs bunk space.

6'8"' draft...if there is a shoe beneath the keel, it's gonna get a workout in the Bahamas, IMO. Wonder if tunnel drives work in displacement hulls...oh, yeah, see RealShips 76.

Five tons of ballast and flopper stoppers: thousand+ year-old technology plus modern method for serious likelihood for losing a few fingers? Why not a raft of batteries for big inverter possibilities and/or active at-rest stabs or Mitsubishi whirligigs accomplishing the same thing.

This is a boat with serious eye-candy interior joinery, and the engineering is first-class. Sexy E/R plumbing in the review photo.

That 6'2" engine room headroom should be reason enough to get the 62 Nordy owners to trade up from their boats with ER ceilings designed for Hobbits.

Overall, Good Job, Jim.
  8. Capt Buddy

Capt Buddy Member

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]Nordhavn originally created the 72 model as a wheelhouse forward (or center if you will) similar to the N47. That's the photo you see. When there was demand for the aft-house design, they offered that as well. For both wheelhouse locations, they also offer the ability to stretch the hull 4 feet for a 76 foot model and offer single or twin engines using plugs for the hull. That also changes the dry exhaust as standard for a single to wet exhaust for the twin models. I don't believe the forward-house style has sold anywhere as well as the aft-house design. The original N62 created a much favored look for Nordhavn.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks!, the foward WH looks great.
  9. carelm

carelm Senior Member

Your idea of a raft of batteries is an interesting one, especially if combined with a diesel/electric hybrid system. Also, it might be interesting to add solar panels to the mix although I don't know if anyone has a production-ready system yet.
  10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

What do you mean by "production-ready"? There is already significant solar panel use on racing yachts. Obviously the available real-estate on a 60 foot racer is limited, but a minimum of 30% of all onboard energy is provided by renewable sources...
  11. carelm

carelm Senior Member

I was thinking of a factory produced diesel/electric hybrid with solar panels. In this case the Nordhavn 63 would have a diesel/electric system and some solar panels as a supplementary source of power. I have seen some aftermarket solar panel solutions available that seem reasonably priced.

Note: I did notice Island Pilot had such a design but I don't know if they're in full-scale production yet.

http://www.gizmag.com/hybrid-yacht-combines-diesel-solar-and-electric-power/10303/