Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Westport

| Nobiskrug | 142.1M | S/Y "A" | 2015/17 |

Discussion in 'Nobiskrug Yacht' started by German Yachting, Sep 1, 2015.

1. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Some more legal pictures for our Phillipe Stark luvers :).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
  2. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Some more nice details about her masts

5 mast with wiring.jpg

A lot of wiring, sensors, hydraulics.

6 mast foundation.jpg

The mast foundation looks pretty fragile for the size of those masts. But remember, there is no additional pressure on the mast foundation by any kind standing rigging (free standing rotating masts). Most forces are taken by the main bearing.
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Wow... and I thought Mirabella V was aesthetically-challenged when I first saw her.
  4. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Maybe off topic, but this is what makes these threads so enjoyable! Last time HTM09 took us of topic it was huge generators, now it is heritage and history, it's all good.
    I'll follow the thread as it meanders off topic as long as the reading adds to my pleasure and knowledge.
    Cheers!
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

There's a picture on the Marine Traffic twitter feed this morning showing just how the exhaust flows... across the mast and all down the length of the boom. o_O
  6. pierberio

pierberio New Member

Other videos from Youtube:

7. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

If you are looking at the second video, pierberio posted (in full HD), you will have a very good view on a lot of interesting details of this yacht, especially the rig :confused: and on most of the problems they will have with this design :). I already feel sorry for the crew, having to clean that biest.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It is amazing that a designer of useless kitchenware and awkward furniture are hired to design multimillion dollar yachts...?
  9. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

This is only one of his milder designs. Do not tell me how and what to use it for, please.

lPhillippe Starck ploof design.jpg

But as AMG said, very famous in Europe is his Lemon squeezer for example, totally useless :D.

Lemmon squeezer.jpg

The sentence, form follows function does not exists in the French language :D.
  10. Hohum

Hohum Senior Member

Docking SYA looks like it could be fun too, I can't see anywhere obvious to hang fenders from.

I actually like Starck boats, MYA and Venus are two of my three favourite Yachts (the other being Palladium), the attention to aesthetic detail his designs have is wonderful. He also tends to be something of a trend-setter.
  11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Very harsh on the design,
    Any designer that made their mark, broke NEW ground. It is so easy to sit back and critique something.
    Challenge the accepted and CREATE anew.
    Do this and find an entity to fund your vision...
    This is a new page, give it space and air and respect the huge investment in all things.
    Before you go so easily to the trough to spill your judgement.
  12. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Docking of boats like MY "A" or SY "A" is and will be most likely a secondary problem for it's skippers. Yachts of this size go on the hook outside the harbours most of the time. At least at the hot spots like Port Hercules, Porto Servo or Portofino for example.

I would not go as far as saying, Phillippe Starck is a bad designer, not at all. His products are a matter of personal taste. He polarizes, he may have a pretty radical taste in some areas but if somebody with very deep pockets lets his horses go, the crazy artist comes up in him and the outcome are boats like MY "A", Venus and now SY "A". I say again, he polarizes, you either like it or not, nothing in between. But some of his architectual designs are not bad at all. Port Adriano for example is very nice, one of my favorite places in Mallorca.

And I agree, some aspects of his designs are and will be trendsetting. If this rig for example, designed by Starck and constructed and calculated by Dykstra anf built by Magna Structures, will prove to be working properly and perform plus will sustain heavy weather and most of all, time, it will be seen on more large sailing yachts in the future. It combines the advantages of a Dynarig with the effiency of a high aspect ratio boom type sail and will allow complete and automated push button sailing.

But from a practical point of view, all 3 of those yachts are a nightmare. Close haul maneuvering (visibility), docking, especially Med mooring, cleaning (in- and outside :)), maintaining and just doing some of the ordinary seaman's work on them is by far not as easy as on lets say a little bit more traditional looking boats.

You can tell by a design, wheather the designer is a boater himself or not. Look at designs from Bill Tripp, German Frers, Espen Oeino, Andrew Winch, Robert Munford or our Lars Modin :p and others, you can tell, they are boaters by heart themself and not land locked artists in their Olymp.

I must admid, the interior design of "A"s wheelhouse and its tender garage are great.

wheelhouse A.jpg

Tender Garage A.jpg

Tender Garage A (2).jpg

It is good everyone has his own personal taste. If all man would have the same taste, we all would chase the same woman and would drive the same car. A terrible thought :D.
  13. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

I like the yacht! I just wonder how the crew will clean her regularly and with that mini funnel there the bottom portion of that mast and boom will always be sooted. Hope they have a plan to clean the soot off the mizzen sail too.
  14. Dillon1018

Dillon1018 Member

Like the owners personal style or not.... We all can agree that this boat will be a game changer in the world of large yacht and large sailing yachts...... Me personally I like both M/Y A and S/Y A...... Very James Bond style...... Most of the Stark creations are like that :)
  15. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

Well, it´s most probably a polarizing design with many certainly brilliant aspects and a very own kind of aesthetics. Not everybody needs to like it.
    But let´s not forget that quite often when product designers or architects design boats it´s all the unmentioned naval architects and engineers that make ends meet. Just remember the challenges for the fellows at Fehrmann ship windows when Sir Norman Foster did ECO/Katana.
    Many designers don´t care what´s practical or possible, therefor we should thank them for forcing engineers to create fascinating innovations... :D
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

therefor we should thank them for forcing engineers to create fascinating innovations...

Good statement.
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

They say many designs are from scribbles on a napkin. This is just the napkin... :)

Napkin.jpg
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Well folded Lars!
  19. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

:D:D:D
  20. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Finally Lars disclosed how Phillippe Starck developed the design of SY "A" :D. Very well folded, indeed.

But actually some very successful industrial designs developed from very rudimentary sketches on nepkins or pieces of an appointment diary. This for example is the original sketch of a very famous car, developed 1947 during a coffee brake between the VW Boss and Ben Pon, the Dutch VW importer. The VW Bus/Transporter !

Ben_pon.jpg
    But I did not know, Megayacht Design could be that simple :p.