Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights

No stern thruster on Hatteras Sport Decks?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by xF_PP, Aug 18, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends on the boat, but the ones I have run (all from the same manufacturer) had separate bow/stern thruster controls at the helm. The only plan I would use the 360 system, were on wing stations and the only thing there was the 360 joysticks. From the helm I always did gears and bow/stern thrusters rather than use the 360 system.
  2. Worthy vessel

Worthy vessel Member

I have been boating since I can remember and have owned various single engine outboard boats my whole life. I only started operating large boats the last 10 years (I am almost 70 now). Twin engine operation is totally different than single engine. It is not really the size of the boat that makes it difficult. I have had 40 foot to current 62 foot boat and they operate the same with twin engines.
    The problem is that the moves needed to put the boat where you want it need to be instinctive. In calm wind and current you do not need thrusters because you have time to think about the moves necessary. It is difficult to learn these instinctive moves at an older age unless you spend a lot of time on the boat. I still have a day job and can't get out to put in the hours I need to feel comfortable so I'll take the thrusters. I am very jealous of those who have mastered this skill, but please don't make fun of me using my thrusters in difficult situations.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Nice post. A worthy member of YF!
  4. xF_PP

xF_PP New Member

There might be a problem installing a stern thruster - see Foto attached

Attached Files:

5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why? It could be spaced aft far enough to not interfere with trim tabs.