Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Burger

Marine Air second air handler fan not kicking on

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by FLCranchi34, Apr 11, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

Another update:

New start cap + new run cap results in the system firing up for about 2-3 seconds before the Air Con circuit breaker pops.

I don't have a loop ammeter, and the boat doesn't have ammeters, just DC volt meters at the helm.

With a loop ammeter I could see the amp surge to the circuit when the compressor is trying to start, correct? That would then let me know if the circuit breaker was acting properly or just weak?

With my experiences with household refrigerators, compressors that draw a ton of amps on start up are either shot or on their way out, right?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There maybe a lock up amp spec on the compressor or data page. But figure if you see a 40 amp hit for half a second, it's locked up.
    Was it popping the breaker before the new caps?

One last (desperate) thing to look at,, there is a clip that holds a plastic cover, covering the wire connects on the compressor. With breaker off, open that up and inspect the wire connects. Usually spade/slip on crimps. Anything look fried?

I have a simular issue on a friend's Hatt, just not been able to get into it yet.
  3. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

Yes, it was popping the main AC power breaker prior to replacing the caps and would not start at all. To be clear, it does kick on for about 2-3 seconds before it pops the Air Conditioning breaker, which is a 20A breaker. The main A/C breaker is a 32A breaker according to the circuit diagrams I have from Cranchi.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

20A breakers usually can take a 30+A hit for a second maybe two.
    Without a clamp on, were still guessing.
    Find a nice Mini Fluke Clamp-on/DVM.
    Not just for this issue, if your going to DIY, you will need it many times.
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I agree with the above, you have to measure amps.

personally I find having nice digital multimeters on the AC panel very useful. For example an air con with dirty coils will pull more amps…. I have BlueSea meters, digital and they cycle between Volts, Amps and freq.

Monitoring freq is useful when on gen.

easy to add