Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Burger

MAN R6-800 on a Pershing 46, problems

Discussion in 'Pershing Yacht' started by ScarabGR, Dec 4, 2014.

1. ScarabGR

ScarabGR New Member

Hey guys, looking technical opinions and experience from all interested in my matter in the forum.

I own a Pershing 46 of 2005 with two MAN R6-800 fitted. Since I bought it, am experiencing several engine problems resulting at the end to cracking the turbos casings without damaging shafts etc, only the casing cracks, thermal cracking.
    The pre-warning is always low coolant water, some oil leaks or water leaks in engine room and then off.
    Several workshops attended without success, I have already renewed 5 turbos.
    Some say that the propellers the boat has, are not proper and thus resulting in overloading and high exhaust temperatures and cracking the casings of the turbos. Am wearing the "Elica SBM 715/1075, 4 pale".
    Some others say that the heat exchanger gets holed and loosing the coolant in the jacket system.
    Some others say that the air supplied to the engine room is not enough.
    Some say the exhaust manifolds are not positioned properly and backflowing exhaust gases.
    Of course Makers are not accepting any of the above and the warranty is over now.
    Am looking for similar experienced problems of yours and any ideas where to look at.
    Appreciate your time guys.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What rpm's are you getting at WOT? What exhaust gas temperatures are you running at cruise rpm? Man display should show both turbo temps? Can you open the engine room door while the motors are running at cruise?