Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Man D2848 LE403 Oil Pressure Senders

Discussion in 'Engines' started by butch w, Jul 8, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mapism

mapism Senior Member

The plot thickens.
    Lunderic, you said your engines are mechanical V10, but which version exactly?
    LE401 820hp, I suppose?
    I'm asking because in my V8 LE403, which are exactly the same that Butch has in his boat but with no remote oil filters, the filter base assembly seems exactly the same as yours, BUT without that sort of extension holding the senders.
    There are instead just two caps, on both sides of the base, as per attached photo.
    So, don't ask me why, but it appears that with the very last version of mechanical engines (which were the LE403), they moved all those bulbs elsewhere, thought I still couldn't find where exactly!
    Or it's a difference between V8/10/12, but I think that's less likely.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  2. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

I’m going by memory but my port side is identical to Mapism and my stb are remote but with just the caps/inserts. Mystery wrapped in an enigma ( very German)
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

ChiTown, your boat is on straight shafts, right?
    The arrangement that you mention is typical of boats where access to the outboard sides of engines is restricted, so the stbd side engine needs the remote mount to bring the filters in between the engines and make them more accessible.

The situation of the OP boat is different, because in both engines the filters are remotely mounted.
    I suppose that has something to see with the fact that there is also the Reverso oil change system installed.

Just saying: this doesn't change anything vs. the matter which we are discussing, because I don't think it's necessary to fiddle with the oil pressure sender when the filters are remotely mounted, since it's placed somewhere else to begin with. We just need to find where...
    ...But I'm not keen on spending much time in the e/r, in these days of very hot weather! :D
  4. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

Hi Mapism, Yes straight shafts and yes stb is "remoted" for access. I have the reverso, also mounted on the port side and is a challenge to capture the flow from the drain plugs, but have figured out how to nest a rectangular shaped oil receptacle between the filter manifold and the stringer.

I will look this weekend when I'm there as I'm motivated as well to find these things. I can't seem to see the senders on the port side either which has the exposed manifold cooler assembly. I'll look "harder"
  5. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

I have mechanical v10 820 actually 2840 LXE.
  6. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Aha, I see. I believe the LXE were actually very similar if not identical to the LE401.
    Can't remember when exactly, but at some stage MAN simply changed the designations from LXE/LYE/LZE to LE4xx.
    Anyway, that confirms the different age of the engines.
    Why over time they changed the senders placement from the filter base assembly, and where they were moved, remains to be understood.
    But we'll get to the bottom of that, one way or another! :)
  7. butch w

butch w Member

Hello all, I am just coming back to this sending unit mystery. I still have not found it yet, though have not been doing a lot of searching as I have been dealing with the gauge reading low and enjoying some fishing etc.

Any new insight is more than welcome if anyone has any yet. Thanks again all. Posting a nice catch on some mahi.

mahi.jpg
    ChiTown likes this.
  8. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

I'm changing oil soon and will take a look
  9. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

Why not give a call to a MAN tech? I've had great luck with Bayside Diesel in Mystic, CT. There may be a more suitable tech in your area.
  10. butch w

butch w Member

I have talked to a few different techs and they are not certain as they have been in different locations on certain year models etc and mine are not near where they suggested etc. I am thinking they are on the outward side on both motors and I simply can't get into that small space right now.

It is certainly on the to do list as a top five things to address etc. Thanks again all and as always I appreciate all the feedback