Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

MAN D2848 LE403 intercooler removal

Discussion in 'Engines' started by kev cribb, Oct 4, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. butch w

butch w Member

Older thread but have a questions regarding the CAC's, do the raw water and coolant squares push out of the housing similar to the way the heat exchanger bundles do ? What is the best method to clean them, and service the unit per say

thanks

D710F61C-495F-4CE9-9CBB-E1665C2DC59A.jpeg
  2. kev cribb

kev cribb New Member

No I don’t believe you can push the stacks out and I certainly never have. I just cleaned mine in a bath of descaler before on other engines. Mine this time we’re pretty clean so I left them for this year. Hope this helps
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

The short answer is no, as kev cribb already confirmed.

What you see in my photo that you quoted is the water side of the CAC, and its only peculiarity is that in these MANs it's split in two sections: raw water on the left and engine coolant on the right, as you look at them in the photo.
    Normally, only the former gets dirty over time, and once the CAC is stripped from the engine and opened as above, it's easy to clean it with any appropriate detergent available on your side of the Pond.

When I stripped those CACs in my boat, which back then I had just bought and I wasn't sure about if/when/how they were cleaned previously, I actually opened also the air side. In the second photo of my post #14, you can see the whole CAC from above, with the two air ducts on both sides removed.
    I couldn't find in my files a better photo of the inner part of the air side, but the following gives you an idea of how it looks like.
    In my boat, it was pretty clean and all it needed was some compressed air and a cleaning of the surfaces where the air ducts are attached, before reinstalling them.

[​IMG]
  4. butch w

butch w Member

Thank you all very much, I have not gotten into my project yet but when I do if the air side is very dirty what is the best method to clean? thanks again for all of your help.