Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

MAN D2840LE401

Discussion in 'Engines' started by clovehitch, Jun 19, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I need to fashion some kind of solution like that, too. The starboard filters are easy to manage, with just a 5-gal bucket immediately underneath the drain nuts.

But the boat builder decided to install the Reverso pump and all the valves directly under the port engine filters... so can't get anything sitting flat close enough to the drain stream. Duh.

Now that I've gotten a decent start on the filter plugs, I'll want to do an overnight drain as well.

Apologies to OP for digression. And now back to his regularly scheduled programming.

:)

-Chris
  2. James Max

James Max New Member

Did man have a recall on any of the D2840 LE 401?
    Pistons liners?
    Why would an engine have new pistons liners installed with just a little over 1,000 hours
  3. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I believe they did back around the mid to late 90’s. I can’t remember if it was piston liners or the pistons themselves. I dont know if there was a recall or not but Bosch had a run of leaky injector tips that melted pistons, etc. Then there was the oil cooler that was made out of aluminum that was bolted to a cast iron block that would dump all the oil before the alarms could save you. All of this stuff was years ago for the 401. If you are looking at a boat to purchase with 401s I would think that these issues have been remedied by now.