Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

M T f U! I'll do it myself.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by cleanslate, Dec 24, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

6B2FB745-A01C-4BDC-BA6E-14BF0DB8F866.jpeg Out with the old in with the new .
    motor mounts four installed rather easily, nice and tight into the existing holes and stringers. You can see my breaker bar in the background, lag bolt tight as can be. That’s a good thing, whew!

The old one in the photo is one of the better mounts the forward starboard side mount almost completely rusted away.
    Got hammered by moisture /leaks from the heat exchanger tank outlets and hoses from the water pump under previous owners watch.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You gone water skiing yet?
    Who went first?
    You or your tech??
  3. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Yeah! I'll send you a photo. He's up on my shoulders while my friend runs the Yacht, I'm on my old Cypress Gardens woodie skis.....o_O

CR, CR, CR, it takes time ,juggling work and play. Going tomorrow to install exhaust manifold, tie in all water lines, fuel lines and maybe get to the Twin Disc Shift selector valve for inspection. I pulled the oil filter screen a week ago while she was up in the air and got a good look in there. Looks like pervious owner had work done on it. I could see excess clear silicone gasket crap that squeezed out just on the other side of the filter screen. Some of it was loose, some missing, possibly causing my issues. While she was up, also pulled the drain plug and let it drain out all day. Oil was two seasons old, 100 hrs. or so. Looked a little dirty , but still mainly good looking, clean and no smell to it.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I hate it when that happens.

I'm sorry.
    I keep forgetting.
    You have to WORK,,
    Ha
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Getting closer to completion planning on starting her up Saturday with my mechanic!
    Just filled up the coolant system with 7 gallons of DD coolant , good price $12 a gallon .
    Also putting on a spin on oil filter finally getting rid of the old canister filter. Surprisingly the filter price was good from J&T $19.50.
    Still have to finish up the exhaust system, then some final painting.
    14767E73-5715-44D8-A354-C6E373D858AE.jpeg
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  6. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

54743216-3427-4F85-B40C-F893B5B6D61E.jpeg What paint did you use ?
    Here you go.
    Got it from Home Depot works great easy to get and priced right comes in a spray can or brush on version.
    I sprayed all the parts I could at home and then brushed it on on board the boat so the spray didn’t go everywhere and get on the woodwork etc….
    Also coach better with the brush you can get more on in one shot levels out very nice.
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  7. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

C4432DB7-F78C-48C8-BBD6-1A139C0EA3BB.jpeg Start it up day !
    Perfect weather; windy , rain , and cold.
    :(
    Hey ! That’s right my new block heater works !
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  8. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

40B4631C-7A2E-46CF-B640-C83649FED671.jpeg
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well?
  10. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Success! Weather broke in the late morning. Turned out to be a great day.

My mechanic and I got the engine running in short order ! Thank god . Whew!
    Proud to say we had only one leak on the initial run. Pencil zinc on the sea water intake side of the heat exchanger tank was leaking . We fixed that in short order.
    He had to fiddle with the rack , set the injector timing , set the governor all in proper harmony it was time to fire up the other engine and go out for the sea trail and start the engine brake in time.

First time I’ve ever had a real professional caring mechanic, of any type , on my boats over the year. Was lucky enough to get my dock neighbor friend to go along and run the boat at times while I could spend all the time I wanted with the mechanic in the engine room.
    We spent about two hours running the boat at 1000 rpm’s for 30 minutes, then 1500 for 30 minutes or more , then 1800 rpm’s for another 30 minutes.
    He spent the entire time crawling around both motors with his Infrared Temp gun and his hand held digital reflective tape RPM gauge monitoring both engine vitals .

It was really impressive, to me. The boat ran great ! Shifted in and out of gear really well with minimal hesitation. Both motors idle at 650 rpm’s , docking was a breeze , motors never lagged in and out of gear.
    No smoke , no odors .
    I’m happy as can be, and happy to be done with the project .

Oh , the other engine , he said is in great shape , fire right up without the block heater which is still not working , its on my to do list. It just needs so love and a can of paint . That’s next winters project .

I’ll do the math soon to see how much I spent.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Outstanding report.
    596738CB-2AA8-42D7-883C-B9CDE09E6895.jpg
  12. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Not sure if I can post a video I took on my phone, from my phone ? It’s about a minute long ?
  13. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Oh I do have a problem now .
    Was connecting the battery cables and when I did , heard the low oil pressure alarm going off . Well I guess the ignition switch is on . Ok.
    I go up to turn it off, it is off.
    Something is now energizing my system. Darn ! Now what !!

so I think about what I’ve done and the only new electrical item I put on is the alternator.
    so I reach over the engine and pull off the little red and yellow plug going into the alternator.
    Now i’m back to normal and the ignition switch and oil pressure alarm works properly.

turns out I’m getting feedback through the alternator and it’s energizing the ignition.
    Little did I know on that plug-in thing the black wad of looking tape on the yellow wire is a diode within that to keep the alternator from feeding back into the ignition system.
    got one on order now I have to replace that in the next couple days. 184C7FA7-E750-4280-9C93-9BDEE20FDD4E.jpeg
  14. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

One important thing I also left out the mechanic put the coolant system under pressure from the exchanger tank cap to make sure there were no internal leaks in the cooling system.
    Held pressure for 30 minutes.
    This was befor start up of course.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Remember, I created a U Tube video and shared the link in December.
  16. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Yes but I don’t wanna do it through YouTube I just wanna post it direct from my phone onto YF. Not sure if that can be done.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So, been near a month,;;
    Who has been water skiing/putting some hours on,,, or who has typing away on other subjects.
    We need some more performance reports, Proof that your good And a schedule when your making Florida.......

You rocking and rolling????

2307A915-4458-4A6B-BCDC-4771BD01225C.jpg
  18. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

CR ! Yes ! I'm due for an update to this thread I started.

Both engines running like new ! Only have 4 hours on the rebuild so far. Still going through the break in period. But so far so great.
    I've been busy as a big bald beaver ! Doing other work on the boat to get ready for the season. We just got done cleaning the carpets through out, wiping down the wood work and all surfaces.
    I just got done cleaning up some lifting varnish on the toe rails, filled in the bad spots with new varnish ( 6 coats) Then sand the entire toe rails and varnish final coat over both toe rails. ( Epifanes Gloss clear)

Getting hauled this Friday to paint bottom, new zincs, fix old swim platform etc., and back in on Monday morning.

Oh, back to the original post, M.T. f. U. ! Here is what I spent

$7k. On all parts, new tools, hoists, wood, etc.

$3500 on my DD partner's labor.

Don't ask me for his info., 77 year old fella who was nice enough to work with me when needed and really helped me out. He is retired and not looking for any new work.

BUT, these guys ( DD two stroke mechanics ) are still around through out the world, you just have to ask around and network your transom off, and you will find them. I took me four years to find this guy who I had full confidence in , only lives 15 minutes from my house. Who knew!?

Yeah...M T f U , I did it myself.:)
  19. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

That fixed it. Alt . is working now. No feed back. $20 part.
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You didn't answer that last question..
    I'm not allowed north of the M/D line.
    Truth is, some in the Carolina's still looking fer me.
    You gotta come south, again and stop by this time.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023