Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Westport

| Lurssen | 105M | "Shackleton" ex. Project ICECAP | 2022 |

Discussion in 'Lurssen Yacht' started by Milow232, Mar 8, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

The Peene Werft (Lürssen Wolgast) is a repair and refit naval yard of the Luerssen Group. Such a large and complex yacht (or explorer) project would not be carried out at this yard.

And I do not believe, that Lürssen would do some basic work on such a spectacular project and allow somebody else to put their company logo on the completed ship.

Below a picture of Luerssen Wolgast

slider_wolgast_peene_werft-1.jpg
  2. Tim Bransford

Tim Bransford New Member

The article discussing the bow section of the yacht coming from Poland is still available at portalmorski.pl. It was published on 17 September 2019.

My earlier post was probably too firm with respect to Peene Werft. The article discusses how additional steel sections are "likely" being built at Peene Werft. So final assembly may be in a hall somewhere, and perhaps nothing is coming from Peene Werft.

I'm not sure that the new Northern Star was ever intended to be a traditional "Lurssen Yacht." Kleven was originally going to build it and then transfer it to Blohm+Voss for final outfitting. I wouldn't think of such a creation as a traditional "Lurssen." Moreover, I understood that Salt Ship handled the principal design in collaboration with Espen Oeino, not the in-house naval architects at Lurssen. Finally, at some point in time over the last couple of years it was rumored that Lurssen was going to launch an expedition sub-brand call "Shackleton" after the explorer. It was hinted this could be the first launch from that line. So everything about this project is a bit funky and different. Still very much looking forward to seeing this vessel. No doubt will be incredibly capable.
  3. Tim Bransford

Tim Bransford New Member

Admin Edit: Photo Resizing

This is the picture of the bow section from the aforementioned article.

Attached Files:

4. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

Icecap seems to be a Lurssen yacht...check the MY page, yachts under construction. Maybe there are different sub-contractors because of the polar code for the bow section...
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Heinous is such a strong word... perhaps "something my grandmother would enjoy" is a more acceptable description.

Not my cup of tea, but you do get a strong sense of "old country cottage", a vibe which is strong in Canada's maritime provinces, so not at all unexpected to find aboard whichever Northern Star you might be visiting.
  6. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

Any news about it?
  7. Tim Bransford

Tim Bransford New Member

In the last week Dr Duu's Instagram said that it's being built at Peene Werft. We will see.
  8. Dude123

Dude123 Member

Based on yacht brochure the yacht interior is going be by Adam lay studios
  9. Tim Bransford

Tim Bransford New Member

Boote now also reporting that the Northern Star is under construction at Peene Werft. As previously discussed earlier in the thread, given that Kleven was originally involved, makes sense that Lurssen's commercial yard got involved after the Norweigians got into trouble building those big hybrid cruise ships. https://www.boote-exclusiv.com/aktuell/luerssen-zeigt-jag
  10. wwch

wwch Member

Picture taken by Weber St. Gobain in September 2020 when a local contractor pumped their self-leveling screed into the yacht to cover 600 m2 of "dented" floor. Pump truck to the left with yellow stripe on trailer.

Weber St. Gobain (800x335).jpg
  11. Tim Bransford

Tim Bransford New Member

A few more pictures of Northern Star under construction at Peene Werft (provided by Weber-SG while they were apparently installing an ultra-durable marine floor substrate)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. wwch

wwch Member

Northern Star has been "unpacked" at Lurssen's Peene Werft. She looks about ready to be launched with only the mast covered in scaffolding.

First pictures can be seen here: ostsee-zeitung.de
  13. Tim Bransford

Tim Bransford New Member

She's a beast.

+[​IMG]
    Yacht News likes this.
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Tim,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. In the future, please 'attach' images to your posts. We discourage hot-linking because the host can change the file.

Thanks!
  15. Gage Rowden

Gage Rowden Active Member

She is definitely a BEAST! I'm excited to learn more and see more of this one.
  16. Tim Bransford

Tim Bransford New Member

My bad. Apologies, YF Admin.
  17. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

"Northern Star" aft quarter render.

Attached Files:

18. Ocean

Ocean Member

Bow quarter

Attached Files:

19. volfkan

volfkan Active Member

20. Gage Rowden

Gage Rowden Active Member

Nice video! Looks a lot better then she did in the renderings. Looks close to being delivered.