Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Low shore power voltage

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Jul 2, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Or if they're floating dock marina's where the floating docks are removed each winter, all of the electrical connections and wires could be old and crusty.
  2. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

I've done a fair bit of research on this because I was looking into putting an isolation transformer on my boat. As much as I'd like to blame Obama, Bush, the EPA, global warming/cooling or big oil/electric I can't. It is just the marina getting by on the cheap.

If the marina has 208V instead of 220-240V AND you have an older isolation transformer (ie Hatteras) you will get very low voltage.

Marina's with proper power will have a 3 phase to single phase transformer which will transform 208 three phase to 240V single phase. The 208 is not proper but they can get away without putting in a transformer if you don't have the isolation transformer.

Suggest you avoid marinas with 208V if at all possible.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ohhhh I know, I can think of several with 208 that are too cheap to put step up transformers. BUT as NYCAP is finding out, sometimes you just cannot avoid those marina's.......Not to mention boats are pulling more and more of their entire 50amp connection with all of the extra equipment on board these days.