Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Delta

Lazzara viewpoints

Discussion in 'Lazzara Yacht' started by MLILIENTHAL, Dec 23, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

Out looking at various boats in the 60-75' range. Been a boat owner for almost 30 years and have done all my own work on them so I understand the ins and outs pretty well. However each brand and model has its own pro's and cons. I'll be looking at a couple Lazzara's soon and would like some input from those who have experience running them. A big concern is the balsa cored hulls, especially when they are below the waterline. Every builder I know touts divynicel or Airex (sp?) and here is a boat that not only uses balsa (seems old technology to me) but below the waterline!! I thought the RULE was solid below the waterline. Anyway as they've been around for a while I wanted to see if I could get some first hand opinions.

Thanks!!
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve been running a 2009 84 skylounge for 4 1/2 years now... I put over 2000 hours on the C32s in that time and about 4000 hours on each generator

good boat. Excellent system, very few minor gripes. Excellent documentation, every thing is documented, photographed and blueprinted

I ve always been concerned about balsa cores hull but not with Lazzara. All the hull penetrations are documented and solid fiberglass around the thruhulls. As long as nobody drilled holes they shouldn’t have... no worries. Obviously a full survey is a must

with the C32s, the 84 cruises anywhere between 18 and 26kts and tops at 32kts. Right now we re doing a lazy 21 kts on the bank heading to the Exumas, turning 1700 rpm and burning 78gph. Full tanks, provisions and toys...

At hull speed we do 10kts on 20gph.

I love the 5’ draft on the Bahamas. Having 5 guests staterooms plus two crew is unique in an 84. There is also an 80’ which has almost the same layout but without crew quarters in the back, the two forward staterooms are usually used for crew. Good boat too. I ran one for a few days a couple of years ago

we just crossed the stream with 3 to 5 footers off the pier bow. Wind was almost due East but the stream was still a bit crappy from the 20kts northerlies we had over night. Not the best right but the stabs did their job. The 84 skylounge is a bit too heavy. Entry isn’t as sharp as a wave splitting Hatteras but that s the price to pay for the excellent fuel economy.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Forgot something. Divinycel and other foams are great but it is my understanding that balsa offerS better bonding to the glass.
  4. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

Thanks for the detail. The documentation part is huge for me so good to know they take the time to put it together. My last boat (Queenship) had manuals, schematics, mechanical prints, etc and came in very handy. A friend had a mid 90’s Laz 80 and a few design and material issues I didn’t like but same on any boat. Big one were these air driven stabilizers that didn’t work well. Another were the interiors panels (walls and ceilings), all the foam under the vinyl decomposed and it cost big $$ to replace. Btw I’m looking at a 2005 68’. I think they’ve moved to Trac stabilizers. Also it’s not a skylounge but the hardtop looks substantial and with the shallow draft I figure the center of gravity must be higher then most but you’re giving it a good sea handling score.

Thanks again
  5. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

That’s what I read too especially Lazzaras where they vacuum bag the application
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

There are thousands of ways to built a boat and some have done a good job with all of them and others a poor job with the best of methods. You're wise in not accepting a universal rejection of balsa cores but finding out from those with experience about Lazzara. Then, like any boat, your survey is key.
  7. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

As this is a more unusual hull construction method, in modern boats at least, key would be to find the right surveyor who knows these boats. Will take more then just some wraps with a hammer. When/if the time comes I’ll be back here for recommendations.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Issues with panels isn’t only a Lazzara issue. Many builders used that Velcro foam backed fabric which after 10 years falls apart. An easy fix is to remove a few panels at a time and staple the existing Velcro fabric To the ceiling or the walls . Problem solved. Must use an electric or air stapler though :) not a hand stapler !
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Well, it can't be such a bad technique, considering that also Azimut started moulding their hulls with balsa cores, more decades ago than I can remember. :)
    Though they moved on from that afterwards, already 15+ years ago...

For myself, when I downgraded to plastic after getting a bit tired of maintaining a timber boat, quite simply I did not even consider anything built in other than solid GRP, at least up to the w/line.
    Which BTW I believe is true also of your Hatt, isn't it?
    But each to their own, of course.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yes. My old hatt is solid glass except the decks which are balsa cored. Unfortunately

afaik Lazzara has never had any delamination or core issues so while I prefer solid glass, balsa cored bottom isn’t a deal killer.

Other builders on the other hand including sea ray have any many issues because of poor quality control. Azimut too I believe with the 68 This has come up with graphic photographic evidence here in the past.

One thing I did during the survey of 84 I run now, is compare the hull penetration blueprint to make sure no extra holes had been added (Xducer, TH, etc).
  11. mapism

mapism Senior Member

My understanding is that avoiding to drill new holes could not be enough.

Over time, hull flexing can create air "bubbles" inside the core.
    In turn, this allows the formation of internal moisture, which is what eventually can root the balsa.
    And this is particularly dangerous because you have no way to spot if and where this is happening inside the hull - aside from regularly make extensive moisture readings along the whole hull surface, after leaving the boat to dry on the hard for some time.
    Something I never heard anyone doing, possibly aside from when commissioning a purchase survey.

Besides, it's a sort of self-developing process: once any air inside the core begins developing moisture and attack the wood, the void areas tend to progressively extend, making moisture develop faster, and so on.

I'm not suggesting the OP to steer clear from Lazzara boats particularly, mind.
    But for myself, balsa cored bottom indeed is a deal killer per se, regardless of the builder.
  12. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I’ve run a number of Lazzaras.

I’ve found them well build with good attention to detail. With the on board systems such as A/C, heads, water pumps, etc., etc. installed correctly, as well as with thought given to serviceability.

And they have about the best owners manual I’ve ever seen.
  13. Chris229

Chris229 New Member

Any opinion on the quad IPS powered LSX 75 re build quality, reliability and seakeeping ability ? There seems to be a fair amount of variation on the earlier hulls.
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I know absolutely nothing of that boat, but IPS is one of those things that I call "OMDB" (over my dead body).
    So, you can guess how much I'd love to deal with four of them, regardless of how good the boat can be... :D
  15. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I sea trialed two 75's. Both early model boats and relatively new, under 100 hours. I don't recall any vibration, but keep in mind when you have 4 drives and 8 props (each independently operated), there will be thrust interaction. Where are you getting this information from?

YF mod AMG has seen many installations of IPS drives into the Delta line of boats he designed. Similar size boats but built in carbon so if there is a vibration issue, it will be amplified. Let's wait to hear about his experience.
  16. mapism

mapism Senior Member

My previous comment wasn't referred to vibrations - or any other defects, for that matter.
    It's the very expensive IPS maintenance, both scheduled and unpredicted, that make me prefer to steer clear from them.
    For instance, even a thin floating line that shafts would eat for breakfast, with IPS can damage the shaft seal, emulsionating oil and requiring a boat lift PDQ to avoid further damages.
    I've seen invoices for IPS repairs which would have been funny, if they weren't real.
    I do have also reserves on how some IPS-powered boats behave, but these are vessel-specific.
    And as I said, I can't speak for the model Chris229 is interested in, so I don't.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"Variations" or vibration?

I happen to like IPS and feel they have a definite place in the industry, but four of them on a 75' in not that place.
  18. amgscrap

amgscrap Member

Before Lazzara closed shop, Dick Lazzara refitted several 75’s by replacing the four 600 IPS with two 1200 IPS. Looked like a nice refit. I have had four boats with IPS and have had no problem and love them. Only recommendation is to get a boat designed for IPS not one that has an option for conventional drives. I had a Sunseeker built with IPS drives as an option. It had jack-shafts connecting the motor to the drives and got none of the extra space IPS gives
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with all this and add that they made a name for themselves as having shallow draft and being efficient. The big caveat is they never learned from or fixed the key things they were not good at. Namely ceiling panels always falling down, wall fabric/material seperating from the foam it was attached to so walls looked like shower curtains, and poor gelcoat that never retained a real shine. Even on the last boats they used the same materials.

IPS drives are known for having a lot less vibration than shafts, so I wouldn't worry about vibration as far as that goes. However the 75' LSX is REALLY hard on drives and they all generally have to be rebuilt every 2-3 years at a cost of $30k a pop or so........I sure as heck wouldn't want to maintain 4 engines and drives. That being said, the LSX has a great layout and a ton of room inside.
  20. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We chose traditional shafts on Sunseeker simply for the reasons you point out that they weren't designed for IPS and didn't take advantage of them.