Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander

Is Trawler Ownership Feasible for Me?

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by TKA, Sep 20, 2007.

1. TKA

TKA New Member

I am looking into the idea of buying a boat when I retire 5+ years from now. Like many others, I have this dream of spending a lot of time on the water and visiting exotic locations. I have been reading the forum threads on this site as well as doing a lot of other reading. I have learned much and, as a result, have narrowed my focus some. I am not likely to have the resources to buy something large enough to be really comfortable as a full-time live aboard which would require a captain and crew. I envy those of you who can (more power to ya, brothers!).

My reading has lead me to believe that 50’ is about the largest vessel an owner should expect to be able to handle on their own. Also, fuel efficiency drives me in the direction of trawler style boats. This suits me fine as I don’t see myself being in a big hurry to get anywhere plus I just like the trawler style anyway. I have some experience in small boat handling but the largest vessel I ever operated was a 25’ Robalo with 225hp outboard. Obviously, this is a far cry from a twin diesel trawler. If I actually do this, I would expect my cruising to be limited to the ICW and maybe the Bahamas/Caribbean.

However, I still have many questions before I can come to a final decision. I am hoping those on this forum with vastly more experience than I can help me clarify a number of things.

A question for the forum moderators… would it be better for me to post my questions as separate threads or should I add additional posts (posing new questions) to this thread?

So, let me start with a fairly basic question regarding slip fees. I have seen mentioned costs of upwards of $2,000 per month for a 50’ boat. I’m sure fees vary from place to place. Where are the most reasonable fees likely to be found? What is the minimum I should expect to pay? I should mention that one option I may have is to keep a small condo I own in the Tampa/St. Pete area of Florida which has a small, private marina. My understanding is that owners in this complex can rent slips for about $200 per month. We are considering selling the condo but perhaps will hold onto it if the boat slip costs are sufficiently advantageous.

Thanks in advance for the generosity of your time and expertise. It is greatly appreciated.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi TKA and welcome,

Thank you asking re: new thread or continuous. It's something we need to address globally, as too many people are starting new threads for each question. I wish more people would use the search button, because there's a good chance that a discussion already exists on most topics. Sadly, most people coming to a forum are too lazy to perform a search, or they are digitally challenged. Not sure which one.

In answer to your question (and again, thanks for asking), let's keep everything under one thread. :)
  3. TKA

TKA New Member

You are most welcome. Since I am to be beneficiary of whatever advice I can get (and don't have much to offer in return), it seems to me the least I can do is make life as easy as possible for those who make this very valuable forum possible.
  4. YachtForums

It's been a while since I've shopped, but $2k a month for 50' sounds high. Of course, much of this is determined by the location and amenities of the marina. In the past, we've opted for residential, private docks, but if you already have a condo with a slip, you're way ahead of the game.

As for finding reasonable fees at marinas, rates vary widely by season. One option might be to pay for premium dock space during your cruising months, then retire the boat to your condo/slip at other times.
  5. TKA

TKA New Member

Supposing we sell the condo and I go ahead with a trawler purchase... Where are the most reasonable slip rental rates to be found?
  6. YachtForums

If you narrow that question down geographically, we've got a number of captains onboard YF that could probably give you the rate for any marina.

As a start, Capt. David Reames compiled a list of marinas, along with phone numbers, of the many marinas he's visited. Check out this link for SE Florida...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/marinas-waypoints/4635-marinas-channels-floridas-east-coast.html

David also complied a list for the Bahamas, the U.S. East & West Coast, and Mexico. Visit the "Marinas & Waypoints" forum for each list...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/marinas-waypoints-274/
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

The going rate here in Fort Lauderdale marinas runs from long-term (6 mos.) a buck-sixty per foot plus elec. plus tax, to short-term (monthly) two bucks plus, plus.
    They allow liveaboards because they have pooper pump-outs.

There are cheapy places behind homes ($800-1000), but without pump-outs (rare), it is illegal to live on your boat at such docks.

'Course, in five years, things just may change.
  8. TKA

TKA New Member

Exellent info. Thank you all very much.

OK, here is my next question... I am a tall guy, nearly 6'7". I have looked at specs on a lot of the boats reviewed here and on a number of the used boats web sites but I rarely see any info on headroom. So how much headroom does a 40'-50' trawler typically have? Does it vary much between different manufacturers?
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

At least Trawlers use to have more headroom than other boats, but you´ll need a slim cap in some areas I guess...;)
  10. TKA

TKA New Member

I have learned to keep my head down under low bridges and ceiling fans :)

I could tolerate a ceiling height of maybe 6'4" or more. Much less than this and moving around inside would get rather uncomfortable, I think. I suppose the best thing for me to do is get to a boat show or broker somewhere and visit a few boats.

OK, another question... Is a 40'-50' trawler big enough to venture from Florida to the West Indies? How much operating experience would be needed before taking on a trip from Florida to the Caribbean islands?
  11. Loren Schweizer

FYI, a Hatteras 58 LRC has 6'7" nominal headroom throughout; their other models are pretty similar.
    Is a 40-50' trawler big enough to venture to the West Indies from Fla?
    I'm not bragging when I tell you that I took a 'busman's holiday' by helping to deliver a gas-powered 33 Bertram down to Curacao from Miami.

Regulars on these boards probably roll their eyes when I say this, but my experience is that you don't need much to go down-island.
    I sold a 49 DeFever Cockpit to a chap who had very little experience in boating. He spent a bit of time with a captain who showed him the ropes, as it were, and now he's going back & forth between NY and Santo Domingo willy-nilly.

Have a Nike mentality: 'Just do it'.
  12. TKA

TKA New Member

Thanks, Loren. I would certainly expect to spend some time and money with someone who knows what they are doing and then enough time near shore to become sufficiently familiar and competent with the various systems. I'm just wondering how long this process took for others in a position similar to mine.

Another question... I have seen it mentioned that yacht owners can expect to spend approximately 10% of the purchase price each year operating and maintaining the vessel. I presume this percentage is based on a new boat. For the size I am thinking about, I don't think I would be able to afford new. So, assuming I buy used, would it be roughly accurate to assume 10% per year as if I had bought a similar boat new or, because the boat already has wear and tear on it, should I assume this percentage would be higher? My instincts tell me it should be higher. If I'm right, can anybody give me an idea how much higher? I'm sure this is a function of many variables, not least of which has how much I use it but I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea.
  13. Loren Schweizer

TKA:

Given that your timeframes are 5+ years out, you might be more concerned about what inflation will be betwixt now & then.
    Who knows what ten grand in dockage + ten grand in insurance + ten grand in maintenance will be.
    Oh, you actually want to use this boat? Good God, man, that costs more.
  14. JWY

JWY Senior Member

There are plenty of seaworthy trawlers in the 40-50' range that will take you to the areas you're looking to cruise. The issue is more of seakeeping capability than length. However, with some experience and training, if budget allows, you can increase your length into the 60s and still be able to short-handle the boat. Most trawlers in the 40-70' size range are owner operated.

As Loren said, Hatteras 58 LRCs have 6'7" headroom; the Hatteras 48 & 65 LRC models are close, but the 58 actually has a bit more particularly in the master head. Cheoy Lee LRCs are another boat I call built for Texans. Cape Horn is one of the manufactures that offer at least 6'4" headroom.

The 10% maintenance rule is a very general rule of thumb. Maintenance expenses will depend upon: the condition and age of the vessel at purchase, the manufacturer, mechanical aptitude of owner, and how conscienscious of an owner you are.

You have plenty of time to charter to get your experience level up (will help on insurance later too) and to decide which features are important.
  15. TKA

TKA New Member

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. It is much appreciated. Sorry for the slow response - been out of pocket for awhile. Another question...

My purchase budget is likely to be limited to less than $200K. Therefore, for a boat in the 40' - 50' range, I will have to be looking at used boats. In used boats, certainly much depends on how well the boat has been maintained, how hard it has been used, etc but I think it is safe to assume that stronger, higher quality construction is more likely to result in better condition years later. So, my questions are: Which manufacturers build the strongest boats? Would Hatteras, Defever, and Cheoy Lee (mentioned above) be considered "well-built"?

Thanks again for all your help.
  16. Rudy Nelson

Rudy Nelson New Member

I just answered this question in another form. The insurance companies will not allow you to jump from a 25' outboard to a 50' trawler or motor yacht. Check and see what your insurer will allow. Any 36' will do the islands, just cruise in a group and pay attention. There is a adage, "go cheap, go small and go now"

Rudy Nelson