Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Privacy Matters

Is Irene going to hit you?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by K1W1, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Just curious to know what data you are using to support the statement that it's going to hit Florida "big time" ??
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Right you are. Latest reports predict landfall in Wilmington N.C. and the way the predicted track keeps sliding it looks like it may just go out to sea (we hope). Could be a hard hurricane season though. Good luck to all.
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

4. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

I wouldn't want to be a tourist in the Bahamas right now.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Saw this on a Facebook page of a guy know 18 hrs ago

Glad we are now hunkered down in Atlantis
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

DK about Irene, but I just felt my 1st earthquake.:eek: A bit unusual for Long Island. Thought one of my animals was messing with me as my chair began to tremble.
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Yeah, we felt it here around Philly as well,
    I thought my giant cat was humping my desk !!!!
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Early pics of the earthquake damage in DC: LINK
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Old fella like you are you sure it wasn't ya knees a tremblin?
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Since I was seated it felt more like a BM.:D
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Wonder what you re on? You may want to try not to inhale... irene is not coming anywhere near Florida... As to Katrina, those who didn't evac where either to stupid to see the danger or wanted to stay behind so they could loot afterward...
  12. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

A.K.A. the "Home Depot Cone", a phenomenon that is inexplicably attracted to large stockpiles of plywood and generators.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Not necessarily so. Many of Katrina's victims were left to die. As for predicting the path, when I think back to Andrew, many who fled the storms path ended up moving straight into it when it shifted south during the last hours before landfall. For several hours most thought it blew apart because Ft. Lauderdale & Miami weren't touched. Then the reports started filtering in from Homestead. Hurricanes are fickle creatures.
  14. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

We here in Miami were very much "touched"--from torn-off roofs in Sunny Isles to a massive uprooting of century-old trees in Coral Gables and points in between...oh, we got touched, alright.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

BS... go to the NHC archives and pull the discussions published within 72 hrs of Andrew landfall, it was all within 20 NM. Anyone paying attention should have realized that moving boats north of WPB was the way to go
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yet the stream of boats being towed in from the south to F.L. seemed never ending.
    Sunny Isles, heck I spent something like 7 hours digging a channel under my boat through fire ants on the New River before the next high tide, but we were expecting devastation. That left turn may have only been 20 miles, but it made a big difference.
  17. airship

airship Senior Member

Why is it that so often when someone responds to a post they disagree with, they almost automatically raise the issue that the poster is obviously consumming illegal substances...?! Me, I stick with Scotch. On the rocks. Cheers Amigo.

So far as weather forecasters are concerned, I'm always reminded of a certain UK weatherman, who presented the weather forecast for a major UK TV channel. I believe his name was Michael Fish. What hit the UK probably wasn't a hurricane in terms usually associated with such events elsewhere. Yet caused great havoc back in 1987 in UK I believe.

BTW, I managed to have a short chat with Irene just now. She said that she was just over the Bahamas and was over-joyed, having destroyed the 300A 3 phase power supply recently installed for M/Y PESTIFER. I said that the owners could afford it (replacing the shore power supply). She merely shrugged a shoulder. I said that everyone expects that she will remain offshore the eastern seabord of the USA as she eventually succombs to "planetary love". I'm not sure that Irene was convinced. Women can be so fickle sometimes. At present speed and 2 days away, she could easily decide to alter course by 20° left-rudder and pay a visit to Disneyland.

Hey?! Would you prefer a hurricane called Rambo instead...?

PS. We could do with some rain here on the Cote d'Azur. So Irene, if you decide not to spank all the yachtforum members living in the SE USA, please do traverse the Atlantic and eventually make the grass greener here again.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Gee, I don't know, but this might hold a clue:
    :D (Just kidding with ya. Hey, some legal stuff will get you there as well.)
  19. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Well, I was responding to the post in disagreement as well, and was simply asking how you came to the conclusion that Florida was going to get smashed. Because I pore over about 10 different websites full of weather info several times daily when a storm is threatening, and had no idea how you came up with that statement.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Latest computer models all have her heading out to sea with possibly a brush of the coast and possible landfall around eastern L.I. or eastern New England. Looks like this one is just a warning shot across the bow (unless you're in the Bahamas). Welcome to hurricane season.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.